Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With PPEI no longer selling tunes that circumvent EPA controls, what does the future of diesel truck ownership in the short term look like for those who don't necessarily want a stock truck?

Is true custom tuning a thing of the past? Are we only going to be able to use the canned, inline tuners? I was under the impression those are compliant.

What about exhausts? I haven't experienced a DPF-back exhaust system. I know that it doesn't do really anything for exhaust flow or temps, but what about sound? Does it still sound good?

For me, the allure of tuning came in the form of not having to repair/replace my failing EGR. It was less expensive to go a different route. And now it seems our only option going forward will be to replace the obnoxiously expensive emissions components instead of removing them from the system.

These are just a few of the questions I have swimming in my head this morning after reading PPEI's website notice.

Looking for genuine discussion on this. I was hoping to buy a new-to-me Duramax next spring, but now I don't know if that's a smart decision since I have mine in a condition that I enjoy greatly and it seems that will no longer be able to be recreated.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Glider kits.....could become a thing.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
canned inline tuners are still there. As long as they are emissions compliant. I'm running a Hypertech Max Energy. But custom tuning to aid in elimination of emissions devices is probably out of the question now.
Hypertech

·
Vendor
10,986 Posts
Having been in this industry for over 10 years now we have all seen several good tuners and companies shut down or heavily fined because of the violations of EPA laws. Everyone has an opinion on the EPA but are they really the problem? They are doing the job they were told to. I see this as a Congress problem. We all know how screwed up they are. Can't agree on anything anymore and are so dug in on party lines I don't ever seem them passing anything beneficial. The laws enacted over the last few years for the environment are strict for sure but they are laws for a reason.

I think what PPEI is doing with having all their ec tunes EPA certified is a huge step for a "customer tuner". Sure mfg like Edge, Banks, Hypertech go to that extent with the canned tunes but what do folks really get out of a "canned tuner". They are setup to work with a stock truck or the one that has been modified and still give you performance improvements. PPEI is working hard, testing different turbos, injectors, and whatnot that won't violate the emissions and I believe we are going to see big power out of emission compliant trucks and cars. Their work so far has proven to regen less, use less DEF and still improve HP and fuel economy on the Dmax, Pstroke, Cummins and Nissan applications. Is it completely custom? Yes, I believe so but I think everyone here will have a different opinion on this being custom or not.

I am looking forward to what is to come.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I wonder how this (if at all) will affect Duramaxtuner tuning package........5k tuning with emissions...550 hp on l5p

·
Super Moderator
978 Posts
Honestly, in my opinion, Kory is a "dead man walking" in regards to the EPA and they WILL make an example out of him. Fact: A vendor was charged with selling 4900 emission "defeat devices" @ $10k/per. Total fine for non-compliance could have been $49MM. You cannot fight the EPA. They will destroy you!
:frown2:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Honestly, in my opinion, Kory is a "dead man walking" in regards to the EPA and they WILL make an example out of him. Fact: A vendor was charged with selling 4900 emission "defeat devices" @ $10k/per. Total fine for non-compliance could have been $49MM. You cannot fight the EPA. They will destroy you!
:frown2:
Im going to assume you know the other Rob from up there? If thats the case, that is a bummer. I guess I will start learning what I need to do and buy a V2 to replace my auto-cal tunes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts