Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can I expect from an '08 Duramax? I have one on order. It should be here in late June or early July (unless the dealer lied) :cool .

The last diesel pickup that I owned was a '95 Powerstroke. I bought it new and ran it through 2001. I loved that truck... This will be my first Chevy truck product. I've always been a Ford man except for my '69 Camaro (that I wish I still had). I drive an F250 Superduty 4WD at work and the ride is so pitiful that I decided to move to a Chevy product.

Unfortunately I am buying my first Duramax the same year that they decide to put emission crappage on Diesels... :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Emissions crap has been on the duramax since 2001, when they first came out. Its just now with the LMM there is tons of crap that will be hard to by-pass.

I have heard it all from a 400hp twin turbo to an 8 speed allison. Its all bs right now. I mean heck the Lmm just came out a month ago.

It should be interesting :)

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
IIRC the emissions stuff didn't start until the LLY for federal emissions. I don't know for sure about california emissions....I know that the LB7 did have some emissions stuff on it for california, but I don't know what year it started. Just give it time and the aftermarket will be able to bypass all that stuff. Just hope that you're not in a state that requires an inspection. I know for the LMM, I don't like the location of exhaust exit....almost straight out the back. Only time will tell with the new engine. I have heard that it runs real strong, but I haven't drove any.....I don't exactly like the new body style....I guess it will have to grow on me like the past changes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
yeah the LB7's have the EGR tho right? And some of the mexi-fornia trucks have cats. It really started with the LLY your correct.

I have yet to drive an LMM also but its what 5 more hp than the LBZ? miuns the stupid re-gen mode :( I personally think the 02 LB7 and the 06 LBZ are the best trucks.

ditto, the new body style looks like >> :moon

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I don't think my truck has EGR (it is federal emissions)....I bet the the california emissions does though. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I heard the new powerstrokes with emissions were only gettin 9MPG and up to 13MPG once more broke-in. I assume the chevs are better?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dang... I need to bone up on my acronyms...

Thanks for the replies... since I've been a Ford person all of my life I'm ambivalent on the looks of the new body. Mines a Texas truck or at least it will be when it gets here and I live in the country so no emissions inspections... yet...

·
Registered
37 Posts
The 08 Model Year Duramax is mainly a carry over, 365 hp, 900 N-m torque. There are some material and calibration enhancements, but they are transparent to the end user. Changes may slightly increase fuel economy for some people. There is no such thing as a typical Duramax driver, the applications vary too much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool. Thanks for the info. Mine finally came in about 2 weeks ago. As I was driving home I wished that I had packed a bag so I could just keep driving.

Dislikes:
It pulls hard to 95mph and then speed no longer increases
Nothing else that I can think of.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thats where fuel shut off kicks in. I only had mine kick in once. :rolleyes:

Are you sure the fuel shutoff limiter,
1. is set to 95mph?
2. is on every 07.5?

I ask because I swear when I test drove the truck I backed off at 100 and it was still willing to go alot more. it had a lot of pedal left go go before hitting the floor.
Thanks
I'll have to look into this limiter subject when I pick the truck up i the next week or 2 thanks again guys.:cool: :drink :gearjamin

·
Registered
13 Posts
The stockers on my truck are 265/70/R17 and the truck without the limiter removed would shut it down at 96 mph (155 kph) too. Don't worry folks, she pulls hard for a long time :D.

I think the new PPE Xcelerator increases the power by up to 225hp (the $900.00 one) and they all remove the speed limiter as well. There's an economy one, an average or sport one, and then the big daddy. And yeah...why drive that fast anyway, the truck won't hit 95 mph in the quarter mile in stock trim anyway....crewcabs anyway....haha.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If I wanted to go 100mph, I would buy a truck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts