Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it looks like Monday is my big day. I'm picking up a new to me Duramax (see sig). The truck has a clean CarFax, test drove well, and passed a mechanic inspection. Now with 190,800 miles on it and the CarFax reports no major work done on it I anticipate I'll have some kind of repair in the next year or two. Can anyone give me a little hint on what that will most likely be and approximate cost?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Its hard to say,in the fleet I oversee at that mileage we have done injectors, water pumps, transmissions, transfer cases, complete engines gone bad, brakes, radiators, front and rear axle rebuilds, front suspension and steering rebuilds etc,etc,etc. It goes on and on. Its a truck, it gets used and it wears out. Typically that is about the mileage we dispose of trucks as they start costing way to much in upkeep.

·
Vendor
10,986 Posts
Nothing is cheap for a diesel; parts or labor (unless you do it yourself). Taken care of though there are guys on here now that have over 300k on their trucks and they still run like a top. JWC9 is right. Any number of things "could" go wrong. With 25 posts or by becoming a paid member of this forum, you can get the VIN checked and it will tell you what kind of warranty or GM specific repairs have been made. It is quite useful.

Take care,

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Atleast its a LLY you should be alright if everything else is good.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All very helpful responses, thanks.

Dealer has already done the oil change, I'll take care of the rest over the next week. I can follow instructions and turn a wrench but certainly not claim the title of mechanic. What I cannot do, I'll find a local expert to accomplish.

I'll see about becoming a premium member so I can get the VIN check.

·
Vendor
10,986 Posts
All very helpful responses, thanks.

Dealer has already done the oil change, I'll take care of the rest over the next week. I can follow instructions and turn a wrench but certainly not claim the title of mechanic. What I cannot do, I'll find a local expert to accomplish.

I'll see about becoming a premium member so I can get the VIN check.
Most all the fluid changes are straight forward and there some great how-to's her on DF.

Let me know if I can help with your fluids.

Take care and congrats,

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just got mine this past Thursday. Mine now has 200,000 miles on it. It still runs great. I had to replace my fuel filter tonite and I suggest you do the same. I could actually tell a big difference in the engine after the fuel filter change. I think the original filter was still on the truck. Most important, listen to the guys on this forum when they give advice.... Especially when 2 or more folks suggest the same thing. Welcome to the club, I'm new too.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I just got mine this past Thursday. Mine now has 200,000 miles on it. It still runs great. I had to replace my fuel filter tonite and I suggest you do the same. I could actually tell a big difference in the engine after the fuel filter change. I think the original filter was still on the truck. Most important, listen to the guys on this forum when they give advice.... Especially when 2 or more folks suggest the same thing. Welcome to the club, I'm new too.
Just picked up the truck yesterday. Ran through 50 miles of rolling hills and small hamlets forcing several stops and a little traffic. The DIC indicated it averaged 21 MPG. I'm sure it's on the optimistic side but by only 1 to 2 MPG.

I plan on following the great advice offered. Today I'll replace the fuel filter and I'll get the transmission fluid changed out tomorrow or maybe as late as Friday. I'll check the coolant along the way also. The oil was changed by the dealer but I'll probably go ahead and change it in 2000 miles to be safe.

Anyone know if it's safe to use a programmer (Superchips 2805) on an older vehicle like this? I have a guy offering me one for $100. I plan to use it mostly in economy mode but when we purchase a travel trailer I'll reprogram for towing then back when we get home.

Congrats to both of us on our new trucks and thanks to all offering advice and welcomes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just remembered. In the DIC I noticed the engine hours indicated 15.8. This gets me thinking since all the plastic under the hood looks nearly new. All the aluminum parts have oxidation spots and the engine looks clean but not new. Could it just be that the engine hours indicator rolled over? Is this common for a truck with 190K miles? I have the Carfax report and it doesn't indicate any major repairs like an engine replacement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts