Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious, and its probably a dumb question, but its the one in the title. If my truck is sitting idling, it will sometimes kick down to a very nice rumbling sound... Only for a few seconds though. It then seems to close back up or whatever, then just has a lot more of the whooshing sound. I like the sound of the rumble, and want to know if there is a way to keep it like that. I am assuming it has something to do with the pressure building from the turbo... But i have no clue. I honestly thought the egr delete with that valve out would make it sound nicer. It sounds just a bit deeper now... But barely noticeable.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
It's the turbo vanes calibrating themselves. I forget the amount of time in between but every x amount of time they retest their boundaries/limits

you can have your tuner tune it out with efi live if you would prefer the rumble at idle for a longer period of time instead of the tests

·
Registered
55 Posts
i'm not sure how the ppe tuner works, but the noise your talking about is the v.v.t. or varible vane turbo. the vane closes and gives the (wooshing) sound and opens to clear the airway for the (rumble).

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, thanks for the info... That will be on my list of demands for my EFI live tunes ; )

·
Registered
127 Posts
Mine does the same thing. It rumbles basically all the time with an occasional hiss. PPE has programed it into their tuning to get rid of the hiss.

·
Registered
420 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Or hiss added..or lopey sounds, or high idling truck at different temps, or fast, or slow, or fuel efficient, or smokey, or, or, or, or...the list goes on and on. Lol.
:drink OK!OK! It does do everything, but I was just trying to get him directed to the tool that does what he was asking specific...:poke[1]::neener:thumb

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
does rob do that even if u dont ask for it to be done i would assume so yess???????

because nobody wants a giant hair dryer

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
^I've always been under the impression you have to ask for it to be done.

·
Registered
420 Posts
does rob do that even if u dont ask for it to be done i would assume so yess???????

because nobody wants a giant hair dryer
Not really sure if he does it automatic, I requested mine to be done.

·
Registered
112 Posts
how do you do it with the v2?

·
Registered
781 Posts
The vane sweeps started with the ford 6.0- the vanes would carbon up, bind and fck the turbo. So at idle it sweeps the vanes stop to stop to ensure they stay clean/clear. At least that’s the reason for the ford. the rumble is when the vanes are open, the "hiss" is when the vanes close down and spool the turbo up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts