Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
2006 LBZ, 2009 LML, 2022 L5P. 1993 6.5 parked in the shed.
1,656 Posts
They say it (36gal), but it doesn't happen.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2011 GMC Duramax and I am averaging about 400 miles between regens. Regens kick off in my case when I have 36 grams of soot built up, according to my Edge. Soot builds up faster/slower depending on driving conditions. I can go a lot longer with freeway miles.

· Registered
278 Posts
I am new to the Duramax diesel,i have a 2022 2500 hd crew. I have no clue what DPF or Regen means,or the soot stuff.Do i need to talk to a service rep to learn this stuff. I have 11k miles,95 percent expressway driving both empty and pulling 7500 lb travel trailer. i have used 12 gallons of DEF and have had 2 oil changes. MPG running empty at 70 i get 23.2, at 75 i get 21.7 at 80 i get 20.2, when pulling travel trailer 13.7 at 65,I use cruise for all expressway driving,and tow mode for pulling and still use my cruise,and keep tire pressure at 80lbs for my 18 inch tires,very happy with my truck and its performance.

· Registered
7,836 Posts
I am new to the Duramax diesel,i have a 2022 2500 hd crew. I have no clue what DPF or Regen means,or the soot stuff.Do i need to talk to a service rep to learn this stuff. I have 11k miles,95 percent expressway driving both empty and pulling 7500 lb travel trailer. i have used 12 gallons of DEF and have had 2 oil changes. MPG running empty at 70 i get 23.2, at 75 i get 21.7 at 80 i get 20.2, when pulling travel trailer 13.7 at 65,I use cruise for all expressway driving,and tow mode for pulling and still use my cruise,and keep tire pressure at 80lbs for my 18 inch tires,very happy with my truck and its performance.
If you've put 11,000 miles on it, you're already doing everything that needs to be done.

· Registered
2022 GMC 3500 CCLB SRW Denali
288 Posts
No you don’t. There’s a reason GM doesn’t put any information on the dash for you because they plan for it to be transparent to the end user. Lots of us have something like an idash hooked up just to monitor this and other things. You’re using your truck as you should and everything is fine.

Diesels produce soot, the DPF (diesel particulate filter) catches this spot before it exits your tail pipe. The filter eventually gets “full” of soot so your truck goes into a regeneration where it injects diesel fuel into your exhaust to raise your exhaust gas temperature (commonly referred to as EGT). It raises it to around 1100 iirc which essentially vaporizes the captured spot and turns it into ash thus “emptying” the filter.

Below is an article if you want to learn about the various emissions systems on your truck. EGR (exhaust gas circulation), SCR (selective catalytic reduction) and DPF (diesel particulate filter)

· Registered
278 Posts
No you don’t. There’s a reason GM doesn’t put any information on the dash for you because they plan for it to be transparent to the end user. Lots of us have something like an idash hooked up just to monitor this and other things. You’re using your truck as you should and everything is fine.

Diesels produce soot, the DPF (diesel particulate filter) catches this spot before it exits your tail pipe. The filter eventually gets “full” of soot so your truck goes into a regeneration where it injects diesel fuel into your exhaust to raise your exhaust gas temperature (commonly referred to as EGT). It raises it to around 1100 iirc which essentially vaporizes the captured spot and turns it into ash thus “emptying” the filter.

Below is an article if you want to learn about the various emissions systems on your truck. EGR (exhaust gas circulation), SCR (selective catalytic reduction) and DPF (diesel particulate filter)

Thank you for all the details,Owning a diesel for the first time will be a learning trend.

· Registered
2022 Chevrolet 3500 High Country CC
1,424 Posts

This isn't my first diesel but I'm gonna let the truck do what it does. There are so many algorithms running in the background that will affect the operation of the truck that I will not begin to think I'm smarter then they are. Put the truck in drive and let er eat. Cruise is your best friend. When towing cruise, tow mode and engine brake are your best friend.

There's nothing wrong with Idash or edge if you want to monitor more of what your truck is doing, there a good tool especially for the pro drivers out there like @Piper One since they will live in there truck enough that understanding it and putting on those types of miles is good preventive knowledge, but for those of us that daily drive or causal drive and tow these new trucks will take care of us just fine and prolly better if we don't try to micro manage them.

One thing I will point out with a diesel or most engines for that matter is monitoring your fuel and def usage like you already are is great for preventive indications of a possible issue. If you start seeing drops in MPG or increases in Def usage consistently then may be time to get her looked at. I track mileage and def usage just for that reason.

And of course if there's a bit of tech nerd in ya there is nothing wrong with Idash or edge for the casual driver either.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts