Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
driving home tonight, was in 4high because it was shitty, switched to 2 high and there was a really bad shake followed by kind of a bang. i stopped and looked, didnt see anything obviously broken, in 2 hi and 4 hi there is now a click that starts around 15 mph, it sounds like 1 click per wheel rotation. im assuming that its the transfer case anyone have any ideas? ive looked, there is no rub hole in my case if that helps.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Have you checked the front axles? Where does it sound like the clicking is comin from?

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
kinda sounds like it might have been a CV shaft

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i would love for it to be a vc shaft to be honest, it sounds like its from the front left of the vehicle, i can feel the click in my left foot which made me think it might be the t-case. turning does not change the situation though which was what was leading me away from the cv

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
havent had a chance to crawl under the truck yet, i moved it around a little bit and the 4 wheel drive still works so im inclined to think the transfer case is probably ok, when i get some time (and its not freezing cold) ill drain and fill it to see if theres any metal in the oil. im starting to think it might be the front diff, though im still hoping its the cv shaft. will drain the diff and fill too, well see if i get chunks.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Turns out I threw both u joint caps on the differential side of the front u joint I found 1 cap and 5 or 6 needle bearings. The shaft is damaged so looks like it's off to get a new one tomorrow. Brand new joints too... Less than 5000 miles on them. Well it sure beats a new transfer case....

·
Registered
2006 Silverado 2500HD LBZ 4x4
502 Posts
Glad you got it figured out, how fast were you going when you shifted back to 2hi?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ya glad you got it figured out. I was going to say jack up 4 wheels put it in neutral with it off and start spinning things manually.. That front steel shaft is pretty stout it may have just had a cocked ujoint.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Clips probably didn't seat fully or the joint was off a little when you tightened down the yoke straps and she wobbled loose depending on which caps went missing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts