Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

8501 - 8520 of 8933 Posts

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Barn was a disaster. Cleaned some of it up Tuesday night.

Basement is a disaster from my washing machine being broke for 2 weeks now. What a fiasco.
Do washing machines need money?:laugh:

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Came home to a pile of packages on the front porch. One of which turned out to be a Christmas present from the boys up in Detroit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Paid an electrician to diagnose the power cutting off in the kids college condo to the upstairs outlets, downstairs refrigerator, and the dryer. WTH?

He changed 2-3 "tandem" breakers and tightened the hell out of all the connections. I sure wish that I had got on here and asked y'all (you guys):grin2: about this issue because he charged me $425 American. I think those breakers are about $45-$50 each, but damn, it's Christmas time dude.
I should have just changed the one breaker for the upstairs to see if that helped, but I did not want to burn down the whole place.
War Eagle anyway!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am still around. Sometimes checking this thread.

Picked up a 5th '86 Cadillac Fleetwood to mess around with. Another white one with burgundy velour interior. Stole I mean bought that from a 86 y.o. guy. The brown one I snagged in June.

Just had about $5K work done on my Duramax last month. All new brake calipers, pads, rotor, hoses. coolant flush, new shocks, new glow plugs.... pretty much everything needed to get another 100K miles. I got it back from the service place and damn wouldn't you know it the drivers side low beam light goes out. I said I wasn't pissing changing that again. I ordered all LED's for the headlight assemblies. They called this morning 2 of the units wouldn't work out of the box. Damn was I pissed. They had to remove the bumper trim above the chrome to get to the assembly to remove them. Stupid crap made in China. I chewed the company out up one side and down the other. You know anymore I don't give a damn what they think.
It looks like Cadillac was taken care of. Looks good

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
The whole point of a breaker is that it won't let you "burn down the the whole place". I used to work for a guy who would work around HEI ignitions systems all day long but wouldn't touch a wall outlet. There is a lot of power in the grid but it is under the control of a lot of safety devices. There is really no reason to be afraid of the wiring in a building if you just exercise some judgement.

Now the power in an industrial situation can be truly frightening but that is a different sort of beast. There was an episode of "Dirty Jobs" where Mike Roe was replacing insulators on power poles from a helicopter while the power was on. That sort of thing deserves some real respect.

I replaced the fuse panel in my mother's house with a breaker panel all on my own. Step one was to remove the meter from the base so that there was no power in the house while I was working.

Replacing breakers is not a big deal, especially if you can shut off the power. My breaker box has a main breaker that kills everything else. I turn that off and then have at it. It's always a little "interesting" when I flip that sucker back on though. I always fear that lightening will strike. It doesn't but I think that contemplating the possibility keeps me safe.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
We can't touch stuff like that at all legally,
Say the product fails or if you did something dumb and burned down the house, if an unlicensed person put it in, there would be no insurance and you'd get a nasty large 5 figure fine

·
Finally! Wheels on!
8,866 Posts
2 phase stuff is easy as is 120/240. Outside of that it starts to get iffy.
480 and above it starts to blow you up when you touch it instead of knocking you off of it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
We can't touch stuff like that at all legally,
Say the product fails or if you did something dumb and burned down the house, if an unlicensed person put it in, there would be no insurance and you'd get a nasty large 5 figure fine
I agree that the legality is an issue. Where I live you are allowed to work on your own stuff without a license but when it comes time to sell the property it has to be inspected by someone with credentials. My mother's house wiring is technically illegal. On the other hand, the whole basement was finished by my father without any permits or inspections so the house is technically illegal in its entirety. How many homes have had "illegal" repairs done on them? I don't know but I bet most have. Anyone who buys a house without having a pre-purchase inspection done deserves to sleep uneasily.

When I rewired much of my own house I had the building inspector come out and have a look at it. He was actually there to inspect some other things but I asked him to give his opinion on the wiring while he was there. He had a good look around and then asked me two questions. 1. Do you plan to live here yourself or do you plan to sell it? I said I planned to live there. 2. He asked me if I planned do the same quality of work on the rest of it that I had done so far. I said yes. He signed off everything on the spot.

It helps, inspection wise, to live in a rural area and be on good terms with the inspector. It also helps to know what you are doing, regardless of licensing. I've seen things that were positively frightening done by idiots with and without licenses. I've also seen rank amateurs do excellent work because they informed themselves before proceeding. I have actually read and tried to understand the building code. I asked the inspector about some of it while he was there. I don't believe he had actually read the whole thing himself. I believe that he had gotten the impression that I was informed and interested in getting it right. That is what got me through without paying someone with a certificate to oversee my work.

If everybody was reasonable we would have no need for a government at all but alas.............

·
Finally! Wheels on!
8,866 Posts
IMO most issues are with the grounding systems. Sub panels and main panels etc. bonded unbonded etc

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
2 phase stuff is easy as is 120/240. Outside of that it starts to get iffy.
480 and above it starts to blow you up when you touch it instead of knocking you off of it

There is a good reason why we have 120 and Europe has 240 but nobody has anything higher in homes. You rarely hear of anyone being hurt seriously by house wiring even though every kid on the planet has stuck something into the wall socket just to see what would happen.

I've done some 3 phase stuff and I pay it a lot more respect than house wiring. I'll work on live 120 sometimes. I might work on live 240 if it was a simple thing. I'd never work on bigger stuff live for fear that I'd end up dead.

Let me just add, I'm not in favor of people with no understanding working on electrical things. I've been shocked hundreds of times and it always hurts. I've never been really hurt though because I know when to be careful. If you don't know then pay someone who does.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
IMO most issues are with the grounding systems. Sub panels and main panels etc. bonded unbonded etc

That is key to getting started off on the right foot and not creating issues down the road. It blows my mind over the years how much stuff I have seen without grounds or with floating neutrals.

·
Registered
968 Posts
It looks like Cadillac was taken care of. Looks good
The brown firemist Cad has about 51K miles. Elderly couple in MI had it and they passed away last year. Their daughter sold it to me for $4500. Underside has no rust. Looks like Ziebart or similar company rust proofed it. Leather interior is like new also. Downside it has the Cad dog 4.1L engine that GM had issues with. Mix of iron block and aluminum head. So they are prone to head gasket leaking. All though I do see some still out there with over 100K miles. Maintenance is the key. They kept it maintained. Looks like 4 new Good Year tires, new exhaust and when I checked to see if it needed greased I saw new parts on the suspension. I didn't have to do anything.
I took it to a transmission shop and had the fluid and filter changed. Drives like a big Caddy! Just floats down the road. LOL

The '86 with the burgundy velour interior has about 165K miles on it. New engine not rebuilt in it with 65K miles of the 165K. The two front doors are rusted pretty bad underneath inside. Probably water standing inside the door. The underside looks quite good with not much surface rust. The lacquer paint needs to be stripped. The checking is pretty bad. It wasn't until 1990 when Cad switched over to base coat/clear coat paint. Other GM lines switched sooner. Lacquer paint has more luster is possibly why. I'm probably going to strip the interior which is in excellent condition and put it into a '90 I have. The '90 has a blue brougham interior. Not as nice. I just nabbed a burgundy dash. It came yesterday. Surprised me that UPS didn't damage it. The interior should swap with no problem. An upholstery shop needs to redo the headliner on the '90 anyhow.

I've looked high and low for blue tufted seats. I found a few salvage yards but they won't ship. The burgundy velour tufted seats or any made in another color a local upholstery shop rough quoted me $3k to $4K to reproduce. I paid $5K for the car. An ebay seller has 4 burgundy door panel listed plus shipping for about $1K. Heck if I parted it out I could probably get back what I paid plus more. There are a few parts that sell high that people look for.

·
Registered
968 Posts
New rocker cover in modified form, old one kept leaking
First attempt at ally tig welding so don't judge me 😬
Clutch back in on the weekend so I can use it to do the rounds Christmas Day
Leak where, around the gasket?

I switched to using Hylomar compounds. There are several for different applications. It doesn't harden and makes it easier to disassemble and clean up. I believe Rolls Royce either uses it in the cars or jet engines. Costs a bit more than other sealer compounds.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Leak where, around the gasket?

I switched to using Hylomar compounds. There are several for different applications. It doesn't harden and makes it easier to disassemble and clean up. I believe Rolls Royce either uses it in the cars or jet engines. Costs a bit more than other sealer compounds.
Yeah rolls Royce also uses permatex, so does cat etc.
Kept leaking because it was pressed tin and it had been modded so went out of shape even with me jigging it up when tiggin it. The new one can just run sealant (I use ultra grey or 3bond grey) rather than the crappy cork gasket. But at least I can check head stud tension, do valve clearances and then send the boost to the moon with the new clutch.:laugh:

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
There is a good reason why we have 120 and Europe has 240 but nobody has anything higher in homes. You rarely hear of anyone being hurt seriously by house wiring even though every kid on the planet has stuck something into the wall socket just to see what would happen.

I've done some 3 phase stuff and I pay it a lot more respect than house wiring. I'll work on live 120 sometimes. I might work on live 240 if it was a simple thing. I'd never work on bigger stuff live for fear that I'd end up dead.

Let me just add, I'm not in favor of people with no understanding working on electrical things. I've been shocked hundreds of times and it always hurts. I've never been really hurt though because I know when to be careful. If you don't know then pay someone who does.
I've worked on live 240, been booted by it etc.
Hurt more being booted by a bike CDI like you said.
My uncle was held against a wall by 3 phase electrocution until someone cut the power (it wasn't his fault) bare wire, live steel conduit, it didn't do him any good at all.
I believe in the philosophy of someone can do it twice as fast and you can earn a decent hourly rate you might as well go to work and pay them.
But I have a crack at anything provided it ain't gonna bite me in the arse or take me too long :laugh:

·
Registered
1,899 Posts

I stay away from the bondage:laugh:
I think my dad jokes are in the wrong thread :laugh:

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
I stay away from the bondage:laugh:

I think my dad jokes are in the wrong thread :laugh:

Don’t worry Heyden, they’re not. Lol

·
Registered
968 Posts
Yeah rolls Royce also uses permatex, so does cat etc.
Kept leaking because it was pressed tin and it had been modded so went out of shape even with me jigging it up when tiggin it. The new one can just run sealant (I use ultra grey or 3bond grey) rather than the crappy cork gasket. But at least I can check head stud tension, do valve clearances and then send the boost to the moon with the new clutch.:laugh:
Cadillac had the same issue with the years 81 thru 84 with the 4.1L engine using stamped valve covers prone to leakage. In 85 they went to a cast aluminum cover. Both of my '84's I switched to the cast covers. One set of cast covers I had powder coated black.

Attachments

·
Registered
642 Posts
Went to take the dogs for a late walk about 11pm and had that sick feeling as the front door latched. Thank God i was dressed for the elements and after prying the fence gate lock apart, put the dogs in the back with me and went on a search for something to help get my butt back inside. All windows were locked and didn't want to break anything big so with a prayer, it took two hours to get a concrete mesh wire piece between the sliding door and jamb, and lift up the galvanized pipe in the track. Celebrated by praising Him and sleeping in a warm bed.

8501 - 8520 of 8933 Posts