Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
9641 - 9660 of 9668 Posts

·
Registered
21,941 Posts
Cleaned up the laundry/storage room again yesterday

contacted a drywall guy to come look at a area that needs fixed.

barn is next but I’m waiting until it cools down. This high 80’a and high humidity is a ass kicker

·
Finally! Wheels on!
10,164 Posts
Cleaned up the laundry/storage room again yesterday

contacted a drywall guy to come look at a area that needs fixed.

barn is next but I’m waiting until it cools down. This high 80’a and high humidity is a ass kicker
Lol. That’s called fall here…. We’ve still been in the mid 90s or better

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,672 Posts
Plowed out all the potatoes (around 30 bushels) picked pole beans, squash, peppers and tomatoes.

Reactions: McSpeed

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Started painting the cheap old kitchen cabinets I picked up for my garage.

Sure hope the stain blocker KillZ primer does it’s job! Otherwise I’ll be getting some dark grey to cover this white!

Tomorrow first coat of finish high Hyde white semi gloss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,450 Posts
Painter is coming by to do touch up after all the new windows I installed and trimmed out.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Well, didn't do all of this today - about 2 weeks into this project so far. And it's not "my property" yet. Hopefully it will be part of my property before next hurricane season. Got tired of all the power outages over the past few years. Hurricane Ida was just the one that broke the camel's back. Was asking a friend some questions about whole-house generators and he said, I have that old one from the answering service. Pulled it out when we shut down the business. It hasn't run in 10+ years... you want it? I just CANNOT resist a project I guess. Sure!!!

Anyway, it's an old surplus military 20 KW diesel generator that's hasn't been run in 10+ years and has also been sitting out in the weather for longer than that. It's pretty rough looking at the moment but I have the case completely off now, the fuel tank out and cleaned. The radiator out - plan to soak it with vinegar. Blew fuel cleaner thru the fuel lines tonight. As soon as I get the radiator squared away, I'll put it back on temporarily, fill it with water and try to start the motor. If it runs and I can make power (electricity) I will pull the motor / generator off the skids (only 5 more bolts to get it loose), set it aside and bring all the case and skids to the sandblasting place. Then it's paint and reassembly time. Might be months before I finish this one.

Some pics.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Motor vehicle

Sky Asphalt Motor vehicle Wood Road surface

Plant Wood Door House Tree

Plant Gas Wood Machine Control panel

Motor vehicle Gas Valve Industry Machine

Combat vehicle Self-propelled artillery Vehicle Tank Gun turret
Valve Gas Machine tool Machine Engineering

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Pulled off the generator project to pic up trees this weekend. We are getting ready to add on to our house and 3 trees had to go for that. Then the wife (who seems to just HATE trees) decided that a 4th tree had to go while we were at it. So, 3 oaks and one large pine. Hard to get scale from pictures but one of the oaks was 54" dia about 2 feet off the ground. The other 2 oaks were both about 46" and the pine was maybe 34". My brother came to help and thankfully brought his Tractor with grapple attachment. WHAT A LIFESAVER!!! 3 days Sat & Sun 5 people and Monday 3 people and 2 tractors and it's all up except 2 large trunks that I'll have to cut up to move.

I did get a little done on the generator and hope to have it ready to try and start Tuesday or Wed. evening.

Some pics from the weekend:

54"

Wood Bedrock Road surface Asphalt Trunk

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Saw horse!!

Plant Tree Land lot Grass Wood

Plant Property Natural environment Tree Land lot

Scale - that is my "limber" saw - 16" bar.

Plant Sky Natural landscape Tree Bedrock

Reactions: Mudbugs

·
Premium Member
10,672 Posts
Wifey got the 30 bushel of potatoes sorted and stored also she picked another bushel and a half of peppers. Still picking pole beans, squash, tomatoes, brussel sprouts, okra and getting ready to take in the pumpkins.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I looked at my lawn and said it needed a trim but I didn’t get after it today.
Ah hah!!!

I actually took my fat lazy a$$ out there and cut my lawn!!

(Only the front part though because my neighbor had an open house today. No one can see the back so i didnt bother)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well, didn't do all of this today - about 2 weeks into this project so far. And it's not "my property" yet. Hopefully it will be part of my property before next hurricane season. Got tired of all the power outages over the past few years. Hurricane Ida was just the one that broke the camel's back. Was asking a friend some questions about whole-house generators and he said, I have that old one from the answering service. Pulled it out when we shut down the business. It hasn't run in 10+ years... you want it? I just CANNOT resist a project I guess. Sure!!!

Anyway, it's an old surplus military 20 KW diesel generator that's hasn't been run in 10+ years and has also been sitting out in the weather for longer than that. It's pretty rough looking at the moment but I have the case completely off now, the fuel tank out and cleaned. The radiator out - plan to soak it with vinegar. Blew fuel cleaner thru the fuel lines tonight. As soon as I get the radiator squared away, I'll put it back on temporarily, fill it with water and try to start the motor. If it runs and I can make power (electricity) I will pull the motor / generator off the skids (only 5 more bolts to get it loose), set it aside and bring all the case and skids to the sandblasting place. Then it's paint and reassembly time. Might be months before I finish this one.

Some pics.

View attachment 1092776

View attachment 1092777

View attachment 1092778

View attachment 1092779

View attachment 1092780

View attachment 1092781 View attachment 1092782
Looks pretty damn good considering what it has been through! Hope it starts and runs. You prolly know this but will want to check the generator too for any issues, corrosion etc.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Finished my gates between the rain showers….actually yesterday. Decided to cover up the steel frame for a better appearance.

Ready for Mrs. McSpeed to stain (now that she finished the drywall mudding and painting!)

·
Registered
21,941 Posts
Slowly started packing a few things up. Trying to wait on the appraisal before we go wide open on packing.

planning on going to the barn this weekend and getting my tool box ready to move.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Looks pretty damn good considering what it has been through! Hope it starts and runs. You prolly know this but will want to check the generator too for any issues, corrosion etc.

Yes, pretty sure this is going to take a while. I hooked batteries up the other night to see if I could get it to start. Found a dead short in the panel light circuit and it appears that the solid state controller board is toast. Kind of expected that board to be bad. This thing is not "stock". It was modified for civilian use by a company called Groban. They modified quite a bit of wiring and such - added the solid state controller, converted it to single phase and such. They cut and rerouted and spliced wires all over. I am in the process of tracing and labeling wires and creating a working schematic for it now. Once I have all the wires figured out a bit better I will try to manually start it and go from there. I can get a new control module that is much more modern for about $450 but I'd rather not spend that money until I know it runs and such. No sense dropping lots of $ into a boat anchor...

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Did another install in my garage for a EMS volunteer guy. First time doing an Acura RDX

Reactions: McSpeed
9641 - 9660 of 9668 Posts