Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

39981 - 40000 of 44968 Posts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Most likely if its one of the newer hitches, then the hooks did not fit and he just said screw it. I need to change the hooks on both the camper and utility trailer so they fit, or put in shackles to hook the chains to. Automotive engineers did not think that one all the way through. should have put 2 anchor points on there for chains or made them fit the standard hooks that come on campers and other trailers.
Sometimes it seems that the factory guys just do what they like and expect the industry to adapt to it. It took so long for the manufacturers to admit that people tow things with their trucks that everything was pretty well sorted by the time they got into it. One would think they would look at what other's had done and not only mesh with it but exceed what the standard was. It doesn't always work that way though.

If GM wanted to take the lead they could equip all of their trucks with a 2 5/16" ball and RV style socket on the back and an industry standard cross member under the bed that could accept a goose neck ball or 5th wheel hitch. Then all of the 1 7/8" and 2" hitch balls, flat pigtails and other weird towing stuff would go away.

I have no idea why we have the two smaller hitch balls. They don't cost significantly less and they are just plain less capable. I can see how the flat connectors came about but it is time to retire them. I have converted everything I own to the 7 blade RV connector but I still have to carry around adapters to make everyone else's wiring work. It's time to rationalize the system.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
Got rid of another weak link in the steering

Replace the wimpy baby factory GM tie rods, with
Cognito’s Alloy Series Tie Rod Kit, and Alignment.
Last set of tires was pretty choppy on the inside and outside edges of the tread.

Attachments

·
Registered
799 Posts
Sometimes it seems that the factory guys just do what they like and expect the industry to adapt to it. It took so long for the manufacturers to admit that people tow things with their trucks that everything was pretty well sorted by the time they got into it. One would think they would look at what other's had done and not only mesh with it but exceed what the standard was. It doesn't always work that way though.

If GM wanted to take the lead they could equip all of their trucks with a 2 5/16" ball and RV style socket on the back and an industry standard cross member under the bed that could accept a goose neck ball or 5th wheel hitch. Then all of the 1 7/8" and 2" hitch balls, flat pigtails and other weird towing stuff would go away.

I have no idea why we have the two smaller hitch balls. They don't cost significantly less and they are just plain less capable. I can see how the flat connectors came about but it is time to retire them. I have converted everything I own to the 7 blade RV connector but I still have to carry around adapters to make everyone else's wiring work. It's time to rationalize the system.
Well i think ford followed suit on the hitch b/c girlfriends brother in law has a 2017 super duty with the same issue.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

I'll see your 2-5/16" ball and raise you a pintle and lunette ring.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Except I assume a pintle and ring leave a lot more slop in the connection so you get some jerking around with Accel/decel... Right?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Downpipe installed! Yes it sucked.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I’m still waiting on my downpipe to be delivered

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Except I assume a pintle and ring leave a lot more slop in the connection so you get some jerking around with Accel/decel... Right?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
They fit pretty snugly in my experience. And a lot of ball hitch couplers themselves have some slop anyway.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
I have no idea why we have the two smaller hitch balls. They don't cost significantly less and they are just plain less capable.
Well actually, they do differ in price, double/triple or more.

And then there's the ball mounts, they are drastically different in price, depending on weight ratings.

I have quite the assortment of 2" shank ball mounts, a significant investment that I'd hate to start over with, on a 2.5" receiver hitch.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I think I would have a good look at the sensor data when the boost goes away. Particularly the vane position sensor. I think something is causing the ECM to think it should lower the boost. If all of the sensor data looks plausible then it has to be something in the tune.
I was thinking this as well. Is the VPS something that can be taken off and cleaned or sprayed with Maf cleaner? Is it something that can be kind of bad or does it just not work at all when it does go bad?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Filled up.
34-gal tank.

I guess E means empty? :wink2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Filled up.
34-gal tank.

I guess E means empty? :wink2:
With my LLY I put 34.25 in a few times, fuel light wasn't even on yet, so surely with that truck E meant empty.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Your fuel come down yet?
She's come down here, saved 20 bucks on this fill

·
Registered
63 Posts
Filled up.
34-gal tank.

I guess E means empty? [img= class=inlineimg]/forum/images/DuramaxForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/img]
With my LLY I put 34.25 in a few times, fuel light wasn't even on yet, so surely with that truck E meant empty.
The fuel light in my ‘05 comes on with 10 gallons left lol

·
Registered
129 Posts
not terrible, i didnt touch the bars... its sitting how it was when i bought it on what i beleive was 9 wide wheels and 285/65s so previous owner shouldnt have had to raise the front too far.. I’ll take a pic tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks good, so the previous owner just cranked the stock keys a bit? what are your measurements in the front and rear from from the ground to the bottom of the fender?

Thinking about leveling mine with 285 75 on stock rims for the time being until I have the wheel and tire funds available and I have a set picked out for sure that I like.

·
Registered
5 Posts
did a m/c and booster. flushed the brake system and power/bb today. it's hot here!

·
Registered
4,108 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looks good, so the previous owner just cranked the stock keys a bit? what are your measurements in the front and rear from from the ground to the bottom of the fender?

Thinking about leveling mine with 285 75 on stock rims for the time being until I have the wheel and tire funds available and I have a set picked out for sure that I like.

Don’t remember..... will measure when I get the chance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Dropped the truck off for tint. Will pick it up on saturday...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

39981 - 40000 of 44968 Posts