Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

40001 - 40020 of 44968 Posts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
This is off topic but I thought you all might like to know about it.

My wife has a 2011 Mini Cooper S. It's not a Duramax but it is a nifty little car. Tuesday we got a recall letter from BMW (parent of Mini) about the control board on the auxiliary electric cooling pump for the turbo. It seem that the control board can overheat and burn up the car. The recall also covers some BMW models that use the same engine.

That day I called the Mini dealer in Reno about getting it fixed. We live 400 miles away, near Boise. There is a BMW dealer in Boise but SLC and Reno are the closest Mini dealers. BMW has decided that the two lines must be kept separate. Kind of like GM saying a Chevy dealer can't work on a Sierra.

We ran across this once before with a warranty repair on the thermostat and the result was the same.

We called Mini roadside assistance, even though we were out of coverage due to age. Still they sent a truck to tow the car to Reno on Tuesday. Wednesday the repair was made. It is a 1 hour job. Yesterday I spent about an hour arranging a "reunite" through Mini roadside assistance. Today they sent the car back and it got unloaded from the tow truck about 2 hours ago.

Now you may well wonder what it cost Mini USA to tow my wife's car? The First time when the t-stat was replaced it cost $1700 to send it there and $1300 to bring it back. This time it cost $1100 to send it there and $2000 to bring it back. Mini has spent over $6000 to haul this car back and forth for repairs when the car was running just fine.

When I was on the phone with Mini roadside assistance I suggested that we wouldn't mind going to Reno for an overnight stay and if they would be willing to reimburse us for fuel and a nights lodging we would be fine with it. The cost of that would have been less than $400, easily. They didn't think it was a good idea because the car might burst into flames at any moment and they just couldn't take the risk.

And you think GM warranty coverage is a mess.

In a way this shows BMW's commitment to quality customer service and I like that. We are likely to buy another Mini some day. On the other hand it just shows how stupid "policy" can be when it isn't backed up by some common sense.

Just thought you might like a little perspective on how other companies handle their customers.

By the way, I'm a highly trained mechanic with my own shop and all of the tools I need. I could have done this for Mini for $100 plus the cost of the part. They weren't interested. When the thermostat messed up a second time a few months ago I bought the parts myself and did the repair rather than send the car off to Reno. My wife really loves this car and has abandonment issues when it is gone. I just thought it was a kindness to her to fix the thermostat the second time, with updated parts.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
This is off topic but I thought you all might like to know about it.

My wife has a 2011 Mini Cooper S. It's not a Duramax but it is a nifty little car. Tuesday we got a recall letter from BMW (parent of Mini) about the control board on the auxiliary electric cooling pump for the turbo. It seem that the control board can overheat and burn up the car. The recall also covers some BMW models that use the same engine.

That day I called the Mini dealer in Reno about getting it fixed. We live 400 miles away, near Boise. There is a BMW dealer in Boise but SLC and Reno are the closest Mini dealers. BMW has decided that the two lines must be kept separate. Kind of like GM saying a Chevy dealer can't work on a Sierra.

We ran across this once before with a warranty repair on the thermostat and the result was the same.

We called Mini roadside assistance, even though we were out of coverage due to age. Still they sent a truck to tow the car to Reno on Tuesday. Wednesday the repair was made. It is a 1 hour job. Yesterday I spent about an hour arranging a "reunite" through Mini roadside assistance. Today they sent the car back and it got unloaded from the tow truck about 2 hours ago.

Now you may well wonder what it cost Mini USA to tow my wife's car? The First time when the t-stat was replaced it cost $1700 to send it there and $1300 to bring it back. This time it cost $1100 to send it there and $2000 to bring it back. Mini has spent over $6000 to haul this car back and forth for repairs when the car was running just fine.

When I was on the phone with Mini roadside assistance I suggested that we wouldn't mind going to Reno for an overnight stay and if they would be willing to reimburse us for fuel and a nights lodging we would be fine with it. The cost of that would have been less than $400, easily. They didn't think it was a good idea because the car might burst into flames at any moment and they just couldn't take the risk.

And you think GM warranty coverage is a mess.

In a way this shows BMW's commitment to quality customer service and I like that. We are likely to buy another Mini some day. On the other hand it just shows how stupid "policy" can be when it isn't backed up by some common sense.

Just thought you might like a little perspective on how other companies handle their customers.

By the way, I'm a highly trained mechanic with my own shop and all of the tools I need. I could have done this for Mini for $100 plus the cost of the part. They weren't interested. When the thermostat messed up a second time a few months ago I bought the parts myself and did the repair rather than send the car off to Reno. My wife really loves this car and has abandonment issues when it is gone. I just thought it was a kindness to her to fix the thermostat the second time, with updated parts.
Also goes to show how much money they're making when they sell their over-priced vehicles if they can afford to do this for every customer who's vehicle is affected.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Also goes to show how much money they're making when they sell their over-priced vehicles if they can afford to do this for every customer who's vehicle is affected.
I agree that there is a lot of profit involved but I don't see how they can have any profit left on my car. I'm sure they don't do this for everybody because most Minis in my area are too old to be towed for free and those that are towed are normally closer.

I think this is more along the lines of looking toward future sales and a good reputation.

What I should have done is take it to the local BMW dealer, paid for the repair and submitted the bill for reimbursement. It would have been a lot better for everyone except the tow truck driver.

·
Most Known Unknown
29,437 Posts
2012 Classic Chevrolet LML Duramax:
Used it to pick up a 4x8 sheet of 16 gauge

Cleaned out the interior

Changed the air filter

Filled up the fuel tank

Put miscellaneous tooling in it for the road trip tomorrow

Went to the tire shop and got an R&B

20180629_184820.jpg

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thoughts on trans fluid level? Food (edit: fluid) temp was 181 at time of check. In neutral on a very slight incline (front high) after changing R and D several times

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Installed MBRP 3 inch down pipe, MBRP 4 inch exhaust and resonator delete. Bought kit with no muffler but when I opened it up it had a muffler. Still sounds good, way better throttle response. All in all was easy aside from the stupid heat shields.

Next up egr delete and pvc re route.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Thoughts on trans fluid level? Food temp was 181 at time of check.

You’ve over cooked that steak if you cooked it to 181 ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
Thoughts on trans fluid level? Food Tennesseeu mp was 181 at time of check. In neutral on a very slight incline (front high) after changing R and D several times.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
IMO half way up the hot hash marks like what your is showing is the better choice, or maybe your at the bottom after I looked again. Picture is a little dark for my eyes, had to zoom way in to see the fluid.
Anyway half way on the hot is best IMO.

The slight incline angle doesn't change much, it's best to be level then check and compare to the incline, then you'll see.
Just check the level in park with the engine running trans temp about 180* and drive several miles then check again.

I know the preaching of the low hash mark at 180 is the trick, which I tried for 5 years. Recently I decided to bring the level mid-way on the hot, my trans temps are running cooler than they have for the last 5 years.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
I thought ML speaking of the low side of center, was in regards to being off.
As in, it's better to be on the low side than it is to be on the high side of center.
Not that low was better than center.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
You’ve over cooked that steak if you cooked it to 181 ;)

Aw, those typos. They will get you every time.

I think you could add half a quart or just leave it. I can think of nothing that would contribute to a change in temp either way. Your mileage may vary. As long as the rotating assembly isn't dragging in the fluid it shouldn't hurt.

181 might be overdoing it for steak but it is just about perfect for a transmission. Some people seem to think that lower is better but it isn't. The transmission is designed to work with fluid of a certain viscosity which is achieved at a certain temp. There is a lot of leeway on that but still there is a best situation and you have found it. If it never warms up it will never clear itself of condensation. Condensation might not be an issue in the southwest but in the east it can be a real problem. Even local variations can make a difference. It's best to have it warm up to the point where it takes care of any possibility.

Non-synthetic oil doesn't suffer much damage from heat until about 280 degrees. From there it gets worse fast so that a short time at 320 degrees will oxidize it pretty badly. Synthetics can go about 50 degrees higher. There is nothing to worry about below 250 degrees.

I have seen transmissions with blued converters from overheating and the oil wasn't that bad off. To blue the converter it needs to get to something like 550 degrees. I wouldn't leave that oil in the transmission but for a short period it can take it.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
The dreaded steering clunking is back.
The Joy of pulling the column apart again is immensely exciting on a RHD.
Add that to the list of stuff to do, hoping to organise a trip over soon so I can bring some bits and pieces back.
Needed before next winter is the heated tow mirrors and associated wiring, it's getting really painful not being able to see every morning

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hooked up Edge Insight CTS, and ordered up a Magnaflow down pipe. New FPR is next..

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
The dreaded steering clunking is back.
The Joy of pulling the column apart again is immensely exciting on a RHD.
Add that to the list of stuff to do, hoping to organise a trip over soon so I can bring some bits and pieces back.
Needed before next winter is the heated tow mirrors and associated wiring, it's getting really painful not being able to see every morning
Surely it isn't economical to fly all that way simply to get some parts. Are you talking about over to the continent or over to the states? What does it cost anyway?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Surely it isn't economical to fly all that way simply to get some parts. Are you talking about over to the continent or over to the states? What does it cost anyway?
Nah I just mean get stuff while I'm there, there ain't many companies that want the difficulty of posting stuff to Aus.
Especially to TAS because most people don't know it exists ��
To the states, supposed to be going to SEMA but that's only because a mate is paying for the accommodation, flights are free (well nearly free except for the taxes), frequent flier points.
Flights are usually about 900 AUD return to l.a if your paying

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Picked the truck up from window tint. First vehicle ever tinted, so far I love it. Its 5% on front side windows, 15% over factory on the rear windows, and 50% with 5% brow on windshield.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Picked the truck up from window tint. First vehicle ever tinted, so far I love it. Its 5% on front side windows, 15% over factory on the rear windows, and 50% with 5% brow on windshield.

Looks good mate,
My last ute was that dark
The only downside is reduced visibility when it's dark

·
Registered
17,870 Posts

Looks nice Justin, same tint I did on my truck except I did 35% on the whole windshield

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,870 Posts
Looks good mate,
My last ute was that dark
The only downside is reduced visibility when it's dark
Better eat more carrots then. Lol

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Completed egr delete and pvc re-route. Also got the wife’s list complete. Beer time!!

·
Premium Member
9,748 Posts
Got the new Miller welder mounted up on the 2011.

40001 - 40020 of 44968 Posts