Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

41221 - 41240 of 44709 Posts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Oiling the air gun just before you go at a tough bolt often helps.

There are a lot of things that make good sense once you get into a brake job. Let's see, now you have done a brake bleed, lube job, pads and rotors. You could check the fluid level in the differentials while you are in there. You may have lost a bit when you took the rear hubs off. Probably not enough to matter but now is the time to check. Have a look at the shocks. Pry on/wiggle all of the suspension and steering joints to see if any are bad. The list keeps going.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'd suggest a picture but I don't think anyone here wants to see how low your balls are.:surprise:'uhNo
Everything’s good and level now, let’s just leave it at that.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Oiling the air gun just before you go at a tough bolt often helps.

There are a lot of things that make good sense once you get into a brake job. Let's see, now you have done a brake bleed, lube job, pads and rotors. You could check the fluid level in the differentials while you are in there. You may have lost a bit when you took the rear hubs off. Probably not enough to matter but now is the time to check. Have a look at the shocks. Pry on/wiggle all of the suspension and steering joints to see if any are bad. The list keeps going.

Yep, got to top off the rear diff when it’s back on its wheels and level.

I even taped a note to my mirror so I wouldn’t drive off and forget, lol.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Nothing too exciting. Let it idle for an hour while I installed a 2019 Nav System Update. I haven't driven it yet to see if there are any changes other than maps.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts

Rereading my post it sounds like I was trying to tell you what to do. That wasn't my intent. I was just commenting on how a brake job tends to blossom into a much larger maintenance job since so many things are right there in front of you.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Rereading my post it sounds like I was trying to tell you what to do. That wasn't my intent. I was just commenting on how a brake job tends to blossom into a much larger maintenance job since so many things are right there in front of you.

Oh no, ‘tis good advice. Lots of things are easier to do while it is in the air with the wheels off, and a good time to check things.

Have a seeping oil drain plug gasket I have to address with the upcoming oil change too.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
This solution is currently on probation but I'm optimistic. Rewired the 12V AUX trailer power supply to be ignition-switched (why the hell is it constant-hot from the factory?!). Once I get the trailer hooked up and verify all functionality I'll post a brief write-up.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I wonder if the person who designed that circuit has ever owned a tow vehicle. I suppose it would make some sense to be able to boost the trailer battery but not as much sense as having a good battery in the truck when you go to start it.

There is a switch you can get to put on the truck or trailer that only powers the trailer when the voltage is above a certain level. Typically it triggers at 13 volts or so.

https://www.campingworld.com/batterylink-acr-automatic-charging-relay

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Keep me posted on how he does hunting. Looking for a new hunting partner and really would like something different than lab this time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@LML6600DMAX this past weekend was opening weekend for upland birds in Kansas. You wanted me to let you know how well my German wire haired pointer hunted because you were looking for a different dog to hunt with. My pup will be a year old on the 23rd this month. He did a phenomenal job on his first day out. I purchased a shock collar just in case he didn’t want to listen. I never had to put it on him. He picked up a scent from 50 to 75 yards away and pointed a bird. I would definitely get another if I had the room for one.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,292 Posts

While 4qts will fit, Dealer only puts in 3.5qts.
From past experience, if you fill it to the bottom of the hole (4qts), and your vent gets clogged, it's possible blow out the new axle seals. :frown2:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Replaced a bad glow plug and put in a new fuel filter.

Realized the last time the fuel filter was changed they didn't bother to either let me know that the pigtail out of the water-in-fuel sensor was missing or they lost it themselves. Either way I could have had water in my diesel and not have been warned!

Last time I go to that shop to have any work done. I'll keep doing this simple job myself. I'm always amazed at how some folks just don't care about other people's vehicles or the job that they do. I guess I'm just wired differently.

·
Registered
607 Posts

First decent snow of the winter season for the St. Louis area. Truck got some miles going all over town. Jeep sat idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Most Known Unknown
29,352 Posts
It’s cold :(

2001 Sierra Cummins:
Let it idle in the garage for the length of time needed for the next truck

2012 Silverado Duramax:
Picked up some new turn signal bulbs and installed them on the driver side headlight (hyper blink) then went ahead and installed the new HID bulbs I’ve had forever. The Diode Dynamics 6000K kit has been flawless but four and a half years has taken its toll on the passenger bulb and discolored it a little.

Also noticed the rock chip from a few weeks ago turned into some horizontal madness between the time I left work and got to CVS :(

E31612EB-043D-42B6-8F63-611DB61ABE41.jpg

20DEBEF4-D5D6-4C28-9E1D-5AC431F07469.jpg

43DA3A17-9434-464D-871F-FCF0B3408531.jpg

The lines weren’t there when I left work
AB0F8E90-97CA-40B7-85D7-291929834A69.jpg

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,292 Posts
Too much defroster temp variance-----------------------glass splinter.

·
Most Known Unknown
29,352 Posts
:(

Know what the legal system thinks about this during safety inspection time?

Mines up next month but if it plans on getting worse I might have to go ahead and stop ASAP :)

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,292 Posts
3/4 across....I think it's done for. Not sure on the inspect specs.

Had the same thing happen years ago on my old 6.5T. Frost/ice on the windshield I was trying to melt, and all of a sudden, it started crawling faster than a snail race.

41221 - 41240 of 44709 Posts