Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

44321 - 44340 of 44689 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Finally replaced my key fob for the second time in 3 years... man they wear out fast Lol replaced it with a Boost Auto Parts 201 style fob. So far great quality!

Up next lower control arms. Should I just press new bushings and Kryptonite BJs in my old ones or order Dmax Store replacements w/o Kryptonite??

·
Most Known Unknown
29,346 Posts
2012 Silverado Duramax:
Finished with the arm changes for the steering, kicked my rear the entire way. I did come to a roadblock and curious if anyone of you guys have something laying around that could be sold and shipped before I break down and go to Cognito and see what they’re going to want..

My new pitman and idler arms require the fine thread bushings for the PISK, whereas the previous arms used the coarse thread bushings. For the time being I tightened everything down with the braces installed without the heims that attach at the arm studs..

Thoughts?

Was so damn exhausted I decided to soak the heims for the tie rods and will attack those in the next day or so, I’ll just spend the rest of the day with the wife and relax!
3AB3A9A0-5B44-40CD-B3A3-7C894A5CC306.jpg

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that I'll never attempt to repair or replace any steering components on my truck after hearing all these stories. Some of you may like the challenge and I get it, but when the time comes for my front end work, I'm just gonna pay the money and have a shop do it lol. Don't get me wrong, I do my own maintenance, but some things I just don't have the patience for.
Back on topic, I just drove mine to the landfill today and then to Walmart. Back to work tomorrow after a 16 day vacation!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that I'll never attempt to repair or replace any steering components on my truck after hearing all these stories. Some of you may like the challenge and I get it, but when the time comes for my front end work, I'm just gonna pay the money and have a shop do it lol. Don't get me wrong, I do my own maintenance, but some things I just don't have the patience for..........
I'm with you. Don't mind working on the truck but some things I would rather just pay someone else to do it, like front ends.

I am very fortunate that we have a local Mom and Pop suspension and alignment shop close by that I have done business with for years. They can do the work for less that what my time is worth, so it is a no brainer to me. They just did an alignment on my truck on Friday for $50. I will pay that any day/all day.

Anytime any of my cars/trucks or my son's cars need front end/suspension work they all go to the local shop. Never had an issue. Great folks to work with while supporting the little man.

·
Registered
17,563 Posts
I'm with you. Don't mind working on the truck but some things I would rather just pay someone else to do it, like front ends.

I am very fortunate that we have a local Mom and Pop suspension and alignment shop close by that I have done business with for years. They can do the work for less that what my time is worth, so it is a no brainer to me. They just did an alignment on my truck on Friday for $50. I will pay that any day/all day.

Anytime any of my cars/trucks or my son's cars need front end/suspension work they all go to the local shop. Never had an issue. Great folks to work with while supporting the little man.
I remember when I tackled a complete overhaul on my frontend with all new kryptonite parts, DHD brace, UCA's, endlinks and lower ball joints it took me 2 weeks. Good thing I dont drive my everyday. Kids take up alot of time and are more important then a truck that wants to go fast.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,137 Posts

Couldn’t agree more jimmy.

I’ve got a great relationship with a customer of mine and we always take care of each other. He’s done a bunch of work on the Lb7 for me.

·
Most Known Unknown
29,346 Posts
Yeah no doubt it’s a PITA wrenching on certain things! I don’t have kids, never will, and as much as I preach to family and friends about hating to work on stuff, I always find myself in the middle of something lmao. Sadly I think it’s always going to be like this, which for me if I know I can do it, I’ll do it, save the money, and blow it on something else :)

FWIW, last time I did this sort of operation, nothing was on the truck (front diff, centerlink, bumper, fenders, etc) since it was getting an ELF mod and all new suspension post lift removal at the same time, so it was a million times easier!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
It makes sense, why take 3x longer to do something you can pay someone else to do.
I'm a bit paranoid about letting anyone else work on my truck, but that's because no one here has ever worked on one before and if they are gonna google how to do things I might as well do it.
I replaced my key today, coding went fine, bit when I went to do the fobs ( after putting in the DIC switch Joe sent me) I don't have the program option, so I'll try the snap on scan tool and hopefully that works or I'm screwed

·
Most Known Unknown
29,346 Posts
Almost felt like a little divide in the forum over that front end talk :(

:nerd::smile2:

Line-in-the-Sand-2.jpg

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just returned from holiday family gatherings in Iowa where I acquired these two barn find gems! The DT400 came from extended family and the GT80 was my very own as a kid! (see throwback photo!) Can't wait to restore these two vintage Yamahas! I bet all the truckers were chatting up on the CB radio about my setup driving I80 westbound yesterday! Ha!

·
Registered
19,137 Posts
I just returned from holiday family gatherings in Iowa where I acquired these two barn find gems! The DT400 came from extended family and the GT80 was my very own as a kid! (see throwback photo!) Can't wait to restore these two vintage Yamahas! I bet all the truckers were chatting up on the CB radio about my setup driving I80 westbound yesterday! Ha!

Super cool history there

·
Finally! Wheels on!
8,861 Posts
That’s a long way up in the air. How’d you get them up and down? Cool story

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
That’s a long way up in the air. How’d you get them up and down?
haha! Yah, I doubt you see these snowmobile decks very often in Texas. There is a ramp underneath the deck that slides out and attaches to the dove tail at the back.

·
Most Known Unknown
29,346 Posts
2012 Silverado Duramax:
Replaced all the HEIMS up front.

Alignment is scheduled for 9am Saturday morning.

New PISK nuts shipped out from a fellow DF member, just paid shipping!

In other news, the block heater is leaking.

E26FF73F-6BCA-410A-ABD3-F78B23F5FC20.jpg

C46F94BD-5FD5-4B31-A5CC-139C6A7FD539.jpg

42653B61-7424-4966-9251-F762941E4CA2.jpg

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Replaced the hydrobooster, changed oil/filter, turned rotors and replaced brake pads. Will replace fuel filter this month as well.
How long did the hydroboost job take? I'm assuming you have a 01-10 model and used the '11 LML hydroboost? That's the only time I hear about someone replacing it lol.

·
Registered
17,563 Posts
How long did the hydroboost job take? I'm assuming you have a 01-10 model and used the '11 LML hydroboost? That's the only time I hear about someone replacing it lol.

Shouldn't take more then a hour maybe a hair more. If your a bigger guy taking out the drivers seat might help you out giving you room to get situated to drill out the boost arm that connects to the brake pedal.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
Recently did my last oil change using up my last bit of Castrol Hypuron 15W40 drove to my Castrol wholesale supplier to pick up 2-5 gallon pails of Vecton 15W40.

·
Most Known Unknown
29,346 Posts
2012 Silverado Duramax:
Raised the front end off the ground
Filled the PS reservoir
Truck on, lock to lock, mild whining (erratic sound)
Added more fluid
More lock to lock with some occasional brake action
Back and down the driveway multiple times
No more air bubbles on the stick
A smudge above full on the stick

(Pretty positive that was a successful bleeding..)

*Bingo
8E66D29D-2EB0-45EE-8617-EC878ED28DEB.jpg

·
Registered
56 Posts
Coworker thought it was cute to park kinda close to me earlier in the day, even though I’m wayyyy in the back. Turned it into a parking block She says the war is not over....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

44321 - 44340 of 44689 Posts