Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

44441 - 44460 of 44704 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
@hdrolling,
I've considered getting that adapter many times. I really don't like the cheap, plastic one. I just never liked the idea of tightening that thing, always feels like it's gonna warp or break in some way or another lol.

Does this aftermarket H&S have the ability to drain the fuel out before you drop it, like the stock one?

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,290 Posts
but running one compressor would have been potentially problematic
I hear 'the lean' is in fashion.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
@hdrolling,
I've considered getting that adapter many times. I really don't like the cheap, plastic one. I just never liked the idea of tightening that thing, always feels like it's gonna warp or break in some way or another lol.

Does this aftermarket H&S have the ability to drain the fuel out before you drop it, like the stock one?
Yes there is a drain plug on the bottom, I've changed my filter three times now and with the correct socket my factory one was already getting chewed up.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Thank you, sir! I couldn't see how they wouldn't become chewed up after a few times with the soft plastic they used

·
Premium Member
9,571 Posts
Got the cable for the Edge CTS 2 that the guy shut in the door of the 2011 while installing the windshield, good news is that the monitor seems to be OK. The bad news is that Edge won't refund any of the overnight shipping that they said they would if it didn't come by Saturday, guess it's negative reviews for Edge. Wow $40 for shipping overnight for nothing.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Got the cable for the Edge CTS 2 that the guy shut in the door of the 2011 while installing the windshield, good news is that the monitor seems to be OK. The bad news is that Edge won't refund any of the overnight shipping that they said they would if it didn't come by Saturday, guess it's negative reviews for Edge. Wow $40 for shipping overnight for nothing.
They've pissed me off too. My original CTS's touch screen is messed up (possibly due to the FL heat) but I've heard of many other cases of this. Done all the updates possible via the computer, still won't work right. So I contacted them to see about sending it in to fix. Nope, "we no longer have the parts to fix the original CTS monitors, but you can buy a new one for $25 less than list price." Uh.... no thanks, I like my old one just fine, the gauges work, just half of the touch screen doesn't. I asked if that's all they could come off the price of a new CTS2 for a long time customer... they said yep that's it. So I hung up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Most Known Unknown
29,348 Posts
2001 Sierra Cummins:
New Viair 444c compressors installed
Short ground cables
Fused power cables (soldered)

Re loomed the section of un-burned rear signal wires, and soldered another wire after clipping its ends and then loomed it as well.

I have 100’ feet worth of wire loom I bought last year but it’s playing hide and seek, once I locate it I’ll loom the wires and fasten them down.

Next is the ATS solenoid conversion for the trans, but I think I’ll be cutting a service window in the trailer floor below the transmission.

Nobody died while working under the truck!

41B4274B-2FF0-4A73-B08C-55CF529E2710.jpg

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
They've pissed me off too. My original CTS's touch screen is messed up (possibly due to the FL heat) but I've heard of many other cases of this. Done all the updates possible via the computer, still won't work right. So I contacted them to see about sending it in to fix. Nope, "we no longer have the parts to fix the original CTS monitors, but you can buy a new one for $25 less than list price." Uh.... no thanks, I like my old one just fine, the gauges work, just half of the touch screen doesn't. I asked if that's all they could come off the price of a new CTS2 for a long time customer... they said yep that's it. So I hung up.

Same here, but I seem to recall it was about 15% off. No Florida heat here though...Maybe for 3 days during the summer.

·
Registered
7,229 Posts

Same issue with Phx heat with my CTS, so I came up with this redneck idea covered 1/2” styrofoam which works and has since about 2013, on my CTS2 since about 2015 when it came out.
I also cover my monitor with a gray microfiber towel every time I park.
No more fading screen with 120 + degree temps inside the cab in the summer.

Attachments

·
Most Known Unknown
29,348 Posts
2001 Sierra Cummins:
Found the 1/4” loom and finished that all up, just need to fasten it all down. Might take it for a neighborhood spin tomorrow since I’m on 8 hour days....as long as it isn’t raining.

2012 Silverado Duramax:
Tuned the truck for the updated tire size.

Loosened the 11mm bolt on the steering shaft that connects to the gearbox and raised it up about 1/8” and tightened it back down. After looking at it, it appears it was bottomed out on the gearbox stud which might explain some clunking I have been experiencing lately, after testing it in the driveway it feels much different- in a good way. It all started after the front end updates.

C838E2A9-7A20-411D-8812-31158FF6B36F.jpg

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yesterday removed the stock 26 gallon fuel tank and began the install of the 52 gallon Titan tank. Doing this in my driveway. Removed the driveshaft to get the bracket on and realized the u-joints need replacement (195,700 miles). Today I hope to finish the install and have ITP put in new joints. Only NAPA has a decent u-joint in stock, apparently made by Moog.

Since buying a travel trailer last March towing takes a hit on MPG. Eventually hope to get a sump and Kennedy lift pump.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

·
Most Known Unknown
29,348 Posts
Lesson Learned

2012 Silverado Duramax:
Wiggled my ISS around

Think it’s time to address the column clunk I have, anyone with an LML dealt with it yet? It’s not severe but it’s noticeable..

I can grab mine on the engine side and the dash side and can make it clunk.

View attachment 1050461
2012 Silverado Duramax:
Jacked the front end off the ground and pumped the brakes while I turned the wheel lock to lock several times with the PS cap off. I have like an inch of dead play before it engages and I don’t remember having that issue before.

View attachment 1050553
I might have been exaggerating a little, the play is roughly 1/2", but for me it seemed like it was a solid 1/2-5/8 before it would engage the pump. Having put new steering parts as well as wheels/tires, it had me a little worried maybe something was wrong *all checked out good-, so after driving it this morning its way nicer, the steering is more firm, the dead spot is the same but engages prior to reaching its end location (if that makes sense, I can feel the PS Pump trying to push/pull), and finally feels like it did before the operations..

What brought the doubt on was for the past few days excluding this morning, I would pull out of the neighborhood, get on a 55 mph road and the front would have a noticeable shudder until about half mile or so then it would get smooth. I thought maybe it was low pro's on a heavy truck with cold weather, but this morning it exhibited non of that! :)

leads me to believe everything was fine, but the system needed another bleeding with the power brakes.

Not sure if its related, but that ISS clunk I brought up a day or so ago, is gone as well, but that might be because I sprayed some WD40 on the on the ISS under the hood (where to two shafts meet)(you can see the firewall part of it coming out of the boot has rust, where as the shaft that goes down to the box is painted black.
2001 Sierra Cummins:
Found the 1/4” loom and finished that all up, just need to fasten it all down. Might take it for a neighborhood spin tomorrow since I’m on 8 hour days....as long as it isn’t raining.

2012 Silverado Duramax:
Tuned the truck for the updated tire size.

Loosened the 11mm bolt on the steering shaft that connects to the gearbox and raised it up about 1/8” and tightened it back down. After looking at it, it appears it was bottomed out on the gearbox stud which might explain some clunking I have been experiencing lately, after testing it in the driveway it feels much different- in a good way. It all started after the front end updates.

View attachment 1050851

Lesson Learned:
So after talking about a slight clunk in the column, that I had thought disappeared, turned out to be an error in my installation. Recalling that I didn't have this issue before installing the new parts kept giving me doubt that I had messed up, or something was loose, or maybe my gearbox was toast after applying a little heat to the shaft to remove the pitman arm. After last nights adjustment I can without a doubt say the dead spot in the steering is absolutely gone, and the vibration or clunk felt through the column that I started thinking was a bad CV shaft is gone. It turns out I had the shaft bottomed out on the gearbox stud (input shaft)(if that's what you call it), and it apparently does not like that. Maybe it was "pulling" the steering shaft since it was bottomed out, and didn't allow for much movement?!

Here are a few old photos from years ago when I did the complete overhaul of the front end, you can see what I am talking about.

Just moving it up about 1/8" made everything the way it should be, the dead spot I was experiencing is gone, the power steering pressure is spot on and tight (sort of like my gray gassers rack system), and overall is a much better driving experience,....because driving 72 round trip a day for work gives me a lot of time to doubt my abilities in working on this truck, and finding potential culprits in the front end to replace!

5 year old pictures:

From the factory
ImageUploadedByAG Free1402421213.308459.jpg

First front end overhaul
ImageUploadedByAG Free1403143420.423197.jpg

11mm!
ImageUploadedByAG Free1404787234.045535.jpg

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Yesterday removed the stock 26 gallon fuel tank and began the install of the 52 gallon Titan tank. Doing this in my driveway. Removed the driveshaft to get the bracket on and realized the u-joints need replacement (195,700 miles). Today I hope to finish the install and have ITP put in new joints. Only NAPA has a decent u-joint in stock, apparently made by Moog.

Since buying a travel trailer last March towing takes a hit on MPG. Eventually hope to get a sump and Kennedy lift pump.

Loved my Titan tank in my 2013. Word of caution.... don't get greedy on the maxing out the miles on the tank.... With the larger surface area its easy to suck a slug of air as you run the tank near empty... and parking on a hill too when low level...

Ask me how I know... :wink:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Loved my Titan tank in my 2013. Word of caution.... don't get greedy on the maxing out the miles on the tank.... With the larger surface area its easy to suck a slug of air as you run the tank near empty... and parking on a hill too when low level...

Ask me how I know... :wink:
Tanks for the info! I had thought of that, there isn't any baffling inside so looks like it can all slosh forward or back quickly when low. I'll try not to run it low. A sump would help but not a solution.

When towing from Austin to Big Bend I filled up in Junction and the low fuel light came on before Ft Stockton. We had a headwind and it was hilly. I would love to make that stretch without fear next time. I also stayed mostly at 65mph, wasn't pushing it though the speed limit is 80 out there. We got passed by a lot of cars taking advantage of that 80 post.

Got a call that the driveshaft is ready. Been running around with the wife today so haven't gotten to finish the tank install but hopefully can this afternoon. Can't wait to fill it up the first time. I already have 10 gallons waiting for it. Two places near us selling diesel for $2.499.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Tanks for the info! I had thought of that, there isn't any baffling inside so looks like it can all slosh forward or back quickly when low. I'll try not to run it low. A sump would help but not a solution.

When towing from Austin to Big Bend I filled up in Junction and the low fuel light came on before Ft Stockton. We had a headwind and it was hilly. I would love to make that stretch without fear next time. I also stayed mostly at 65mph, wasn't pushing it though the speed limit is 80 out there. We got passed by a lot of cars taking advantage of that 80 post.

Got a call that the driveshaft is ready. Been running around with the wife today so haven't gotten to finish the tank install but hopefully can this afternoon. Can't wait to fill it up the first time. I already have 10 gallons waiting for it. Two places near us selling diesel for $2.499.

Sump definitely helps...

·
Most Known Unknown
29,348 Posts
Ride Height

2001 Sierra Cummins:
Got the truck back on the ground
Checked tire pressure
Loaded up an extinguisher
Loaded up my tool kit

Took it for a test drive through the neighborhood, next will be the transmission upgrades.

0339B597-133D-4412-B8B2-8E9A6E1773EF.jpg

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,290 Posts
Loaded up an extinguisher
I still can't believe how quick you whooped out that fire extinguisher in July.
The Olympic moves were epic. Vader

Some people hit the gym daily, others practice safety drills. :teehee

·
Registered
110 Posts
Titan tank and driveshaft with new u-joints are in. PITA doing it on a gravel driveway without a lift. Well the driveshaft was pretty easy to install.

·
Most Known Unknown
29,348 Posts
I still can't believe how quick you whooped out that fire extinguisher in July.
The Olympic moves were epic. Vader

Some people hit the gym daily, others practice safety drills. :teehee
I had stopped drinking sugary green monsters a few months prior to that, so I was nimble and ready to jump into action

You should see my homemade kit to stop the Cummins from running away on me, heavy duty plastic bag and a vice grip welding clamp for the fuel line off the pump.

If that happens you won’t even see me, just blues of clothing color :rofl

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
I just love the fact that you have to be prepared with a fire extinguisher just to take a drive... that’s livin life on the edge!!

44441 - 44460 of 44704 Posts