Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

44881 - 44900 of 44922 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I bought 2.5" diameter 2" tall body lift pucks and bought 2" longer body mount bolts. Put the pucks in above the step mounting points and the longer bolts with a ton of HD grease to keep them from squeaking. Costed about $70 total and about 2 hours to pull the steps, clean them up, paint them (I didn't like the chrome) and reinstall with the pucks in place. It is MAJOR improvement to actually be able to use the steps more effectively now. IIRC there are some before and after pics in this thread from early 2018. Here is what it looks like now:
View attachment 1076939

View attachment 1076940

View attachment 1076941

Here are the pucks that I bought on eBay:

My LBZ needed 6 - 3 per side.

View attachment 1076938

EDIT: Here is the thread with the before and after pics from January 2018:

That looks easy enough. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts

·
Most Known Unknown
29,415 Posts
What are you going to do with that? Stock, modified?
For now I’m just going to do what’s needed to get it running. I’ll order the dirty dingo slider mounts so I can mock it up in the truck to verify transmission mount placement (as well as AC compressor). I’ll pull the pan and see how the inside looks and check looseness on the rocker arms. I was told to check the bearings and cylinder walls and if they look fine to just send it 🤷🏼‍♂️

Honestly if it’s cheap enough I’ll probably end up replacing all the bearings and oil pump and upgrade the cam and change the springs out. It’s been 8 years since I’ve jacked with an LS build, even one so mild like my last one that I converted to carb. Made the decision to spend the extra money (after factoring in tuning the oem ecu and it’s limitations) to go with the Holley X Max harness/ecu/screen, to take out the guesswork!

8FDF8A12-B172-42E4-A32B-F4DE226A8871.jpeg

·
Most Known Unknown
29,415 Posts

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Ordered a tonneau cover last week and threw it on today. Nice to have the bed covered now and then. Looks pretty nice on there, too.
Pics or it didn't happen

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Took it to the shop for a front end overhaul

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
How long did it take to completely install?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Less than two hours taking my time, all plug and play (no cut wires). You have to install a new mic and a new Nav antenna, one harness to the steering wheel to maintain controls and then just plug everything into the new radio and it's done.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Less than two hours taking my time, all plug and play (no cut wires). You have to install a new mic and a new Nav antenna, one harness to the steering wheel to maintain controls and then just plug everything into the new radio and it's done.
That's so cool! What site did you get that from? Wonder if they have anything for the older trucks

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
That's so cool! What site did you get that from? Wonder if they have anything for the older trucks

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
ADC Mobile, the one I bought is for 13-19 GM trucks.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Got a question guys.
Jr's 05 1500 2wd Silverado rear end appears to be on the way out. 3.23 gear with 33" tires. 345,000 miles. Salvage guy has a axle w 3.73 gears but he says he has seen a few trucks ABS stop working when going to low speed ratio.
Not the other way around. Said they tried everything to make it work and could not get abs to work right.
Does anyone have experience with this before we decide which axle to go with?
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Got a question guys.
Jr's 05 1500 2wd Silverado rear end appears to be on the way out. 3.23 gear with 33" tires. 345,000 miles. Salvage guy has a axle w 3.73 gears but he says he has seen a few trucks ABS stop working when going to low speed ratio.
Not the other way around. Said they tried everything to make it work and could not get abs to work right.
Does anyone have experience with this before we decide which axle to go with?
Thank you!

Just speculation as you didn't give enough info,not sure why it would make a difference. First question is what year? I cant see a speed sensor on the rear end of a 2wd truck maybe a tone ring on the trans other wise just the front wheel hubs. And if you jumped to a 3:73 with the 33" tire the final ratio may be closer to stock anyway. Either way more info needed

·
Most Known Unknown
29,415 Posts
2012 Silverado Duramax:
-welded the mount I made on
-installed the Rancho RS5417

It clears everywhere, and even though it’s probably not needed I can at least check it off my list and get parts off my workbench!

2162FDAB-B49B-4221-990E-C8EEFB9F53DE.jpeg
75B6B7F9-6BF7-4494-AA04-014A4927B31D.jpeg
C5719E5A-3DD8-44B7-9757-D9FC0E07D313.jpeg
DC3955D0-9124-4C1C-BC61-F83C60B046EB.jpeg
6C5BCBC6-A60E-4E28-9EB1-CD00DEAE0509.jpeg

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Sorry, in the sentence below "Got a question guys". It began with

Jr's 05 1500 2wd.

I guess I should have added that it is the 4 speed automatic, 4l60E.

I went and saw my Chevy truck tech guy. He said the speed sensor is on a shaft in the transmission on 2wd and in the transfer case on 4wd. He did not know of a way to get around that.
So I went to the transmission shop that just replaced his trans. Same thing. He said the part number is the same for that in the trans regardless of rear gear. He does not really do much modified stuff so he did not know a trick for it.
I believe 07 and newer trucks use a speed sensor on the rear axle.
Tire size does not matter since the trans is reading off the trans shaft. The ABS sees a speed difference in front and back and makes abs not work properly. I guess I learned a few things today.

There has got to be a way to run lower gears and keep the ABS happy?

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
For older trucks check out Phoenix Automotive, they have basically the same setup for the OBS.

·
Finally! Wheels on!
8,985 Posts
Sorry, in the sentence below "Got a question guys". It began with

Jr's 05 1500 2wd.

I guess I should have added that it is the 4 speed automatic, 4l60E.

I went and saw my Chevy truck tech guy. He said the speed sensor is on a shaft in the transmission on 2wd and in the transfer case on 4wd. He did not know of a way to get around that.
So I went to the transmission shop that just replaced his trans. Same thing. He said the part number is the same for that in the trans regardless of rear gear. He does not really do much modified stuff so he did not know a trick for it.
I believe 07 and newer trucks use a speed sensor on the rear axle.
Tire size does not matter since the trans is reading off the trans shaft. The ABS sees a speed difference in front and back and makes abs not work properly. I guess I learned a few things today.

There has got to be a way to run lower gears and keep the ABS happy?
I would think I tuner would be able to adjust for that, perhaps? Might want to check. I’m sure a lot of people have regeared their trucks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

44881 - 44900 of 44922 Posts