Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

44901 - 44920 of 44922 Posts

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
I have re-geared a boat loaf of jeeps and early 02-06 GM trucks and never had an issue, granted they have all been 4wd

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry, in the sentence below "Got a question guys". It began with

Jr's 05 1500 2wd.

I guess I should have added that it is the 4 speed automatic, 4l60E.

I went and saw my Chevy truck tech guy. He said the speed sensor is on a shaft in the transmission on 2wd and in the transfer case on 4wd. He did not know of a way to get around that.
So I went to the transmission shop that just replaced his trans. Same thing. He said the part number is the same for that in the trans regardless of rear gear. He does not really do much modified stuff so he did not know a trick for it.
I believe 07 and newer trucks use a speed sensor on the rear axle.
Tire size does not matter since the trans is reading off the trans shaft. The ABS sees a speed difference in front and back and makes abs not work properly. I guess I learned a few things today.

There has got to be a way to run lower gears and keep the ABS happy?
Quick Google search says you need to reprogram it for the difference in gears using hp tuners or something equivalent.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Ok, my brain hurts. Apparently there is a couple of ways to handle this. Up to 06 trucks are different than 07 trucks.

The ABS light is caused by the gear ratio change putting speed difference between the front tires and rear output shaft speed sensor that is outside of the ABS allowed error percentage.
One way is using a Snap On or that type machine to change the VSS output per mile plus gear ratio and tire size. By manipulating these numbers that fools the ABS module into thinking it is a stock truck. Way over my head.
Another way is using a canned tune to change speedo and a dip switch device from Abbot Industries that changes the output shaft speed readings so it matches the ABS.

I got most of this info from HPtuners forum.
I could not get the post to copy to here.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Replaced the headlight on/off switch and gear selector. This fixed both flickering dash lights and now I can up and down shift manually again.
Also, added a dual port USB in right accessory spot for charging myself and wife's phone. Major plus!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Snapped the nut off the tip of glow plus 👍 I’ll be waiting till next winter and I’ll change all 8 out using a shop after that snapping scare I won’t do glow plugs myself .. I used PB blaste for 48 hours also

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Snapped the nut off the tip of glow plus I’ll be waiting till next winter and I’ll change all 8 out using a shop after that snapping scare I won’t do glow plugs myself .. I used PB blaste for 48 hours also
Why not change them out now while it is nice outside rather than in the cold of winter?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I finally broke down and had my injectors done and a FASS 165. A big shout out to Brent and the crew at Lincoln Diesel very on top of their game. Anyhow. I usually do my own repairs and maintenance. I found a friend of a friends shop they did a great job. I forgot to ask him to adjust my valves. He did a great install and the truck runs great.

What are the down falls of not having the valves adjusted at this time? Should i be worried should i go back and adjust them? It bothers me that it something that didnt get done while they were exposed. Can someone shed some light here....Thanks in advance

·
Registered
56 Posts
Installed my Banks Derringer and I-Dash Monster. Fun factor just went up, as well as the butt dyno. Next up is a CAI.
20200521_171547.jpg

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Took it to the shop for a front end overhaul
What kinda parts and what'd that job cost ya?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Changed the engine oil and filter earlier in the week. Spilled some on the carport. Cleaned it up before the wife got home. Greased the front end and remembered I still have not bought a hose extension to make greasing easier.
I still can't figure out why they made the oil pan hold a pint of the dirtiest oil in the engine and not drain it all. We should have problems, but it does seem to cause any other than making us buy a flat bottom pan to drain it all out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Why not change them out now while it is nice outside rather than in the cold of winter?

Cuz I snapped that little nut and it scared the hell out off me .. the plug is fine it was just the nut that holds the GP connector

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am an HVACR service/install tech so I’m no dummy with tools or how to be gentle . I PB blaster it for 48 hours hit it again like two more times then went at it soon as I gave it a lil muscle or cracked right off.. I got scared as shit loll this is my first go at glow plug change outs this is my first diesel truck an LMM 139k

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
Merchant Automotive has a nifty tool for help removing them, worked like a charm on our trucks.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
That first nut is the weak spot. You might not have an issue with the plug itself.

·
Most Known Unknown
29,415 Posts
2012 Silverado Duramax:
Filled the fuel tank up
Added some Optilube Summer
Brought home a 4x8’ SLB sign

1B5CC15A-2E5B-42B7-81A0-060856DE3B82.jpeg
AFD336A6-8FB6-48AB-9463-D96C097A0D2A.jpeg

·
Registered
650 Posts
Found my front end shaky shaky. Idler arm has some slop in it at 57k. Pisses me off, company truck sitting beside it just hit 150k, sees A LOT of off-roading and still drives like its new. The truck it replaced went 320k with just 1 set of hubs and and 1 idler.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Wide tires cause a whole world of problems 😂
I don’t think the tires are to blame here. Truck was still on factory 245s when I bought it. I went to a 285/75 which is almost 35x11 and have driven it 11k miles on them. Company truck is on the same size and has had a hell of lot rougher life than my duramax.

I do have an idea what happened though. I don’t think my truck had EVER been greased. The next weekend after buying it I changed the oil and greased it. Every fitting took way more pumps than I feel it should have. Zerks were all super clean, no residual grease seeping out anywhere. Greased the crap out of it and life was good. It felt like it steered smoother (Worn part) but I thought that could have just been my mind playing tricks on me. I noticed a very faint shake just before the new wheels. It was slightly worse after the wheels (more leverage on worn part). I had the shop recheck the tires and they were fine. Did a rotation and still shaky, wasn’t terrible, didn’t do it all the time, just more annoying than anything. I greased it again last month and it seemed to help the shake slightly. It’s gotten worse since then so I got wifey to wiggle the steering last night and my idler is sloppy. Everything else is tight so I’m going to throw an Idler on it next weekend.

44901 - 44920 of 44922 Posts