Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

44961 - 44980 of 45034 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Swapped in the seats from a '99 Silvy 1500 as my seats were pretty worn out and the '99's were in much better shape. Also put in a new radio that has a CD player (current aftermarket one did not) and got an antenna installed as the old one had been broken off long before I bought the truck. Summer tires on, winter tires in the garage.

Will finally be able to tow something with the truck for the first time in a couple of weeks. Heading out to Missouri to bring back an '02 Silvy RCSB 2wd. Hey, its free and has the manual 5 speed. My wife has already claimed it as her summer vehicle. Does have a cooling issue, though. Just hope the Dexcool wasn't mixed with something else and the engine is clogged up.

·
Most Known Unknown
29,461 Posts
2012 Silverado Duramax:
Pulled the front rotors off to have them checked and trimmed if needed. Passenger caliper appeared to be catching so I pulled the pins out to find lots of rust. Cleaned it all and dropped off the rotors and should reassemble tomorrow with grease.

View attachment 1077383 View attachment 1077384 View attachment 1077385 View attachment 1077386
Finally finished this up yesterday after work.

Permatex caliper grease and some freshly turned front rotors got rid of any shimmy' I had when braking. I drove it to work today and had zero issues. Once I find a 10mm hex drive for the slide bolts I'll be able to loosen one on the DS and be able to re-grease if needed *(it's going to require some slight impact action), and I'll grease the rears as well.

AACrufP.img.jpg

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Finally finished this up yesterday after work.

Permatex caliper grease and some freshly turned front rotors got rid of any shimmy' I had when braking. I drove it to work today and had zero issues. Once I find a 10mm hex drive for the slide bolts I'll be able to loosen one on the DS and be able to re-grease if needed *(it's going to require some slight impact action), and I'll grease the rears as well.

View attachment 1077412
Lucky your not in the salt belt. Those bottom slide pins on the lml seize to the bracket. I ended up replacing three calipers because the pins were seized.

·
Most Known Unknown
29,461 Posts
Lucky your not in the salt belt. Those bottom slide pins on the lml seize to the bracket. I ended up replacing three calipers because the pins were seized.
I hope I don't need to go that far, what makes me wonder though is that it's the bottom one and if it's the same as the other side,....it doesn't have that weird rubber piece.

It's quite possible someone torqued it down like crazy from the factory, and this is the only time in 124k miles I've had to change something in the brakes.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
I hope I don't need to go that far, what makes me wonder though is that it's the bottom one and if it's the same as the other side,....it doesn't have that weird rubber piece.

It's quite possible someone torqued it down like crazy from the factory, and this is the only time in 124k miles I've had to change something in the brakes.
I always use an impact on the caliper bolts when doing brakes

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,992 Posts
Happy 6.6 day

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Happy 6.6 day

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
I dare not reference 6.6 day because it’s the Mrs’s birthday.. lol

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Smart ass Jr college boy has his radiator blow antifreeze out of grill and onto the hood of his 1500 on friday afternoon. He was able to pull into a repair shop parking lot of a friend of a friend in his college town. Radiator side tank is spewing juice out. They are also 500 ft from an Autozone. I called the store owner and he took a look to figure out which radiator he had. I called Autozone and they had one in stock which they delivered with 2 gallons of antifreeze.
2 hours from pulling off the road, they were heading back to the apartment. He had enough tools in his truck to swap it out in the parking lot and save that big bill from the shop. Dude told him to send his resume to him if he needs a part time job.
Jr sent in his resume and got the job. He has been working all week changing oil and tires. Crazy way to get a job.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Pulled the pop-up to the lake for the weekend. Now to unload clean and put back in the shop till next time.

Reactions: Babyhauler

·
Registered
5,876 Posts

Yes it is the bottom ones. I think it's do to lack of grease from factory combined with the use of the winter road treatments used up here. They have that rubber seal over those pins. Well in the winter brakes get hot then when they cool it sucks that moisture and road chemicals right inside that sealed cavity where those slide pins are.

When I redid the brakes on the 2013. I used a generous amount of high temp grease on the slide pins.

·
Most Known Unknown
29,461 Posts
Yes it is the bottom ones. I think it's do to lack of grease from factory combined with the use of the winter road treatments used up here. They have that rubber seal over those pins. Well in the winter brakes get hot then when they cool it sucks that moisture and road chemicals right inside that sealed cavity where those slide pins are.

When I redid the brakes on the 2013. I used a generous amount of high temp grease on the slide pins.
I'll end up re-greasing the front when the repair kit comes in from RockAuto, because even after I greased the passenger side it worked fine for a while and then there were a few times it still pulled to the right when braking. The day after finishing it was fine and the next day it had a few isolated incidents, and the last two days its been fine!?

Maybe the rubber on the single pin is in need of replacing after all..

I also need replacement dust caps for the passenger side so that'll be in the kit as well!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Those 4 dust caps that go in your slide pin holes can be a pain to get seated correctly. Our mechanics at work use Permatex to seal our pins. Works marvelously and our trucks are in mud everyday with no brake issues.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Changed the fuel filter for the first time.

Not hard once I removed the wheel, just time consuming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Most Known Unknown
29,461 Posts
2008 Silverado Gasser:
-replaced the DS high beam

2012 Silverado Duramax:
-topped it off
-added Opti-Lube
-took it “off-road”
-tucked it out of the way in case the roofers show up

I get to babysit this work truck for the next week 😂👌🏻

At least it’s a GM!

47CCC9AF-E582-4921-9374-12D05944C7B9.jpeg
9100BCAB-2E81-4680-A27D-34E34F80C7C7.jpeg

·
Registered
691 Posts
My company gasser decided today was a fine time to shred the a/c belt....5 miles back in the mountains on a dusty ass lease road in 92 degree temps :mad:

44961 - 44980 of 45034 Posts