Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
46401 - 46420 of 46526 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
Left low beam failed so I changed both Low Beam bulbs. H11 Extra Bright from Sylvania. Took about 15 minutes for both

·
Registered
262 Posts
Washed it for the 3rd time in the last week or so. It’s been on messy job sites and with the -44 offsets and 20x12.5x37s it’s constantly getting dirty. I think mud flaps wouldn’t look right. Was thinking about a wide body flare or something like that. Anyone want to help me spend some money? I’m open to ideas. Short of buying a car wash and making it fit oversized trucks, I’m pretty game.

What would look good and keep shit off the side of the truck?

Edit: stock wheels won’t fit without spacers and I’m not interested in spacers as I’d be in the same boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,367 Posts
Give it to me for a daily driver. All highway...and you buy a TRX. We can swap back when you need to tow heavy. I'll make sure it's clean and has a full tank. 🤪🤪🤪

I dunno man, gonna be tough with that much rubber out there. Even with my skinny tires and weather tech mudflaps stuff still gets flung onto the body. Flares will help, but I don't see how you can avoid some kind of mudflap to catch the stuff on the lower portion of the tire.

Only other idea I can think of is to get a high quality ceramic coat job done so at least the mud rinses off easier.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Get a beater truck for the work sites.

Reactions: 1lunger

·
Registered
212 Posts
Take a look at the dodge AAM cover. Very similar finned aluminum and reasonable cost. I ran one on my Dually and liked it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I like the ones with a drain plug so the diff oil can be changed with a bit less hassle. But I wouldn’t drop the coin Banks wants for his.

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
I like the ones with a drain plug so the diff oil can be changed with a bit less hassle. But I wouldn’t drop the coin Banks wants for his.

The diff housings themselves have drains already

Reactions: Mmecsics

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
Apparently some 21’s do not have a drain anymore, but regardless, that cover will not fit them anyway as they changed the bolt pattern on them also.
Didn’t know the new ones don’t have them anymore, makes sense they would get rid of the drain when they went to the bigger rear ends…. Can’t make it too easy to change or anything, gotta make it harder

·
Registered
2021 Denali HD
211 Posts
Didn’t know the new ones don’t have them anymore, makes sense they would get rid of the drain when they went to the bigger rear ends…. Can’t make it too easy to change or anything, gotta make it harder

I agree, let’s make the simple stuff even more of a pain now. I swear everything seems to be getting smarter technologically, but dumber mechanically.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Washed it for the 3rd time in the last week or so. It’s been on messy job sites and with the -44 offsets and 20x12.5x37s it’s constantly getting dirty. I think mud flaps wouldn’t look right. Was thinking about a wide body flare or something like that. Anyone want to help me spend some money? I’m open to ideas. Short of buying a car wash and making it fit oversized trucks, I’m pretty game.

What would look good and keep shit off the side of the truck?

Edit: stock wheels won’t fit without spacers and I’m not interested in spacers as I’d be in the same boat.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
changed the fuel filter on my 2018. I think I liked changing the filter better on the pre - L5Ps. This thing was a pain in the ass if you are a big fella and don't have ramps or a curb to put it up on. I have the diesel fuel that ran down my arm and into my shirt as well as the big stains on the driveway to prove that as well. SOME of the fuel made it into the bucket I had underneath... Also I suggest you DO invest in the proper filter wrench or socket to remove the thing and not use large channel locks like I did. (The thing was very tight on there, but you should only have to hand tighten it, not crank on it with terrible force, the amount of torque needed is even stamped onto the housing)

In addition, the AC/Delco filter I ordered off of Amazon had a slit O-ring. The big one. WTH!? But stupid of me because I didn't bother checking the thing when I got it a few months ago. Thankfully the old O-Rings seem to still work so I got lucky.

The good news? It seems to be a bit more peppy since changing the filter. It had gotten down to 13% life remaining, according to the DIC - and I usually change my fuel filters once a year, or every 10,000 miles, whichever comes first. (Thanks to the advice of wise folks on here and gm-trucks.com)
I'm going to swing by NAPA tomorrow to pick up a new filter to keep it in the truck, as one never knows what will happen when out on the road. All it takes is 1 tank of bad fuel. the old filter looked well used. I question if the non-GM dealer I got the truck from actually changed the filter when I got the truck at 12,000 miles.. they claim they did.. well claim they took it to a local lube joint (Grease Monkey) to have the oil changed, fuel filter changed, and cabin air filter. I know they did the oil and likely the cabin air filter. Not so sure about the fuel filter. May have just reset the monitor. Anyway, it's good to go now. Will also pick up a NAPA Gold air filter and change that out as well, I generally do that once a year as well and I got the truck in November of last year, but we've had a lot of dirty air here in Colorado this year from the fires out west. Can't hurt to change it out sooner. Next oil change I'll change the Allison spin-on filter as well.

Ran her thru the wash twice.. lots of bugs to get off.

Going to run it by my repair facility tomorrow to have an A/C system cleaning done. The A/C has been very musty and sometimes smells like piss when running, ever since I got her back from the body shop where she sat for almost a full month waiting for the front bumper to be replaced. And the idiots at the auto body shop somehow managed to let paint spray of some sort get on the drivers side of the windshield as well as drivers side of the hood. I'll be taking a clay bar to the hood (and rest of the body later) and work on getting the stuff off of the windshield. I'm done with this body shop and don't want to go back for them to try to make it right, I don't trust them anymore.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I also need to diagnose why the passenger side fog light is not working. The bulb is good as I tested it on the other side and even swapped, but something with the harness I suspect. I'm also looking to see what tires i'll put on her next. The 20 inch aggressive A/T tires on it now from the factory are pretty much done with 26,000 miles on the rig. Need something quieter.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
changed the fuel filter on my 2018. I think I liked changing the filter better on the pre - L5Ps. This thing was a pain in the ass if you are a big fella and don't have ramps or a curb to put it up on. I have the diesel fuel that ran down my arm and into my shirt as well as the big stains on the driveway to prove that as well. SOME of the fuel made it into the bucket I had underneath... Also I suggest you DO invest in the proper filter wrench or socket to remove the thing and not use large channel locks like I did. (The thing was very tight on there, but you should only have to hand tighten it, not crank on it with terrible force, the amount of torque needed is even stamped onto the housing)

In addition, the AC/Delco filter I ordered off of Amazon had a slit O-ring. The big one. WTH!? But stupid of me because I didn't bother checking the thing when I got it a few months ago. Thankfully the old O-Rings seem to still work so I got lucky.

The good news? It seems to be a bit more peppy since changing the filter. It had gotten down to 13% life remaining, according to the DIC - and I usually change my fuel filters once a year, or every 10,000 miles, whichever comes first. (Thanks to the advice of wise folks on here and gm-trucks.com)
I'm going to swing by NAPA tomorrow to pick up a new filter to keep it in the truck, as one never knows what will happen when out on the road. All it takes is 1 tank of bad fuel. the old filter looked well used. I question if the non-GM dealer I got the truck from actually changed the filter when I got the truck at 12,000 miles.. they claim they did.. well claim they took it to a local lube joint (Grease Monkey) to have the oil changed, fuel filter changed, and cabin air filter. I know they did the oil and likely the cabin air filter. Not so sure about the fuel filter. May have just reset the monitor. Anyway, it's good to go now. Will also pick up a NAPA Gold air filter and change that out as well, I generally do that once a year as well and I got the truck in November of last year, but we've had a lot of dirty air here in Colorado this year from the fires out west. Can't hurt to change it out sooner. Next oil change I'll change the Allison spin-on filter as well.

Ran her thru the wash twice.. lots of bugs to get off.

Going to run it by my repair facility tomorrow to have an A/C system cleaning done. The A/C has been very musty and sometimes smells like piss when running, ever since I got her back from the body shop where she sat for almost a full month waiting for the front bumper to be replaced. And the idiots at the auto body shop somehow managed to let paint spray of some sort get on the drivers side of the windshield as well as drivers side of the hood. I'll be taking a clay bar to the hood (and rest of the body later) and work on getting the stuff off of the windshield. I'm done with this body shop and don't want to go back for them to try to make it right, I don't trust them anymore.
ONLY USE GM FUEL FILTERS (made by Mann). Many threads on this, local parts store filters have been shown to be the cause of failed fuel systems. I keep 2 L5P filters on hand just in case something happens. Yes use the proper 36mm socket or wrench to put the housing back on as they are known to crack (there is an aftermarket Al bowl you can buy). The need to be just a touch over hand tight to keep them from backing off.

Clay bar the windshield also it will do wonders for taking the overspray off without hurting the glass.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
ONLY USE GM FUEL FILTERS (made by Mann). Many threads on this, local parts store filters have been shown to be the cause of failed fuel systems. I keep 2 L5P filters on hand just in case something happens. Yes use the proper 36mm socket or wrench to put the housing back on as they are known to crack (there is an aftermarket Al bowl you can buy). The need to be just a touch over hand tight to keep them from backing off.

Clay bar the windshield also it will do wonders for taking the overspray off without hurting the glass.
Thank you for your suggestions. I’ve always had great luck with the NAPA filter products (Wix) on my various diesels and autos. They stand behind their products. There are plenty of horror stories with Delco products as well. No guarantees. That being said Delco and NAPA parts tend to be the only I use. So I like Delco enough as well.
Will pick up some claybar this weekend and have at the windshield as well. Appreciate that!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thank you for your suggestions. I’ve always had great luck with the NAPA filter products (Wix) on my various diesels and autos. They stand behind their products. There are plenty of horror stories with Delco products as well. No guarantees. That being said Delco and NAPA parts tend to be the only I use. So I like Delco enough as well.
Will pick up some claybar this weekend and have at the windshield as well. Appreciate that!!
Get the fleece filter delete and it’s much easier to deal with

I’m switching my filter right now and it takes 1 min or less. It’s a Donaldson fuel / water separator filter. They last much longer than stock too.

On a side note, anyone use the PPIE trans filter? I had one and couldn’t get it to not leak. Switched back to the Allison and no more drips on the driveway

·
Registered
21 Posts
46401 - 46420 of 46526 Posts