Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
I've never used any fuel treatment in any duramax.

I'm fussy about where I source fuel.
Quality fuel sources will have a suitable additive package.

Reactions: 89thm

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
I use a supplement called PRI-D which has a fuel lubricant and also an anti-algae and anti-sludge quality. Mainly used because I only drive m;y truck about 6 months of the year, and not so much i the other 6 months. They also make a product that is called PRI-G which is similar but more for active drivers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I used optilube in my 2005 Duramax. Started using it a couple of months ago in my 3.0. Noticed longer times between regens. This was a good product when it was developed way back when.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
I’ll revive this thread a bit to ask if you’re using a short neck bottle additive like Opti-Lube, how the heck are you pouring it in the new capless filler? Ramming a little funnel in there to keep it open to pour the additive in??!!! And was it all that hard to unscrew a gas cap like we’ve been doing the last 113 years to put fuel in a tank!!!?? Seems like some design engineer decided that .01% of idjits who can’t remember to put their gas cap back on need to be taken care of.....

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yeah I use the funnel that came with the truck but then use another funnel to that one since I have a 64oz jug. I’m using Amsoil all In one and have been using it for years in diesels.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bought a small funnel from autozone. I insert it into the useless funnel. That way the useless funnel doesn't go into orbit when you're trying to fill.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Bought a small funnel from autozone. I insert it into the useless funnel. That way the useless funnel doesn't go into orbit when you're trying to fill.

😂😂 too funny.... that filler flapper spring does have a tendency to cause that! I’m gonna try one of these screw on nozzles the wife bought a bunch of. Seems to be stiff enough to go thru the flap and it’ll store in the opti box and hopefully not stink too much...
7AF902FA-A8FC-494A-A362-8871A6D0035A.jpeg

·
Registered
65 Posts
The smaller funnels do not work well in adding an additive..I found the best filler is the Long Funnel works best( who at GM thought of the "factory" filler should be put in a dress and slapped.}
I use a Long Funnel approximately one foot..it stays in place..keeps the round opening secure and allows the addition of additive.without fluid kickback...put it in a plastic bag( no smell) and your good to go..Just be careful in adding the additives SLOWLY ..

I have tried Standyne and Diesel Kleen..Diesel Kleen runs quieter..transmission runs smoother..as for mileage increase..minimal here is a good review from project farms may help

·
Registered
1 Posts
What's up guys I'm new to the forum.but I run
cen-pe-co fuel treatment/products only in my truck.i live in upstate NY an run a fass system an never ever had a problem starting my truck in -10° not plugged in and sitting for 5 days.

·
Registered
'21 Sierra Denali 3.0; Bakflip bed cover. Moved from Canyon 2.8 diesel, and lovin' the new truck.
10 Posts
GM recently started recommending a diesel fuel additive if you aren't using 'Top Tier' diesel fuel. From what I understand, most of the diesel fuel sold in this country is of very low quality (wouldn't even be allowed to be sold in Europe, for instance). Top Tier is much higher quality, with a higher cetane rating than regularly available, with the proper lubricants to keep your fuel injectors alive. Unfortunately, it's very hard to find, so the vast majority of drivers aren't using it.

Page 15 of the 2021 Duramax 3.0 supplement says: "If your area does not have Top Tier detergent diesel, GM recommends the use of ACDelco Diesel Fuel Conditioner." The manual goes on to "...not recommend other diesel fuel additives." Well, of course they don't, since they've only tested, and want to sell, what's on their shelves.

So, obviously, we should all be adding something to our fuel, assuming that we can't use the Top Tier stuff. I'd sure like to know which additive GM buys then repackages as "ACDelco Diesel Fuel Conditioner". Until GM sells their stuff by the gallon I'm using Optilube 'summer' @ 1oz/10 gallons.

·
Registered
2021 GMC 1500 SLT w/LM2 Diesel
15 Posts
I've wondered about this often, as most of their manuals mention the use of "Top Tier" fuels. Only if you look at the list, it's really just 3 providers: Costco, Kirkland, and Fast Stop.

Really?

So they're telling me that Costco diesel is preferred? Over - say - Shell, BP, or Mobil? Please. It's a joint marketing scam. They all get their fuel from the same distribution facility - the only difference is the proprietary additives that they put in, which is done in the tanker truck before it's delivered. What do you want to bet on who the maker is of the additive that Costco uses? I'd bet any amount of money that it's sourced from ACDelco (or whoever sources theirs).

·
Registered
'21 Sierra Denali 3.0; Bakflip bed cover. Moved from Canyon 2.8 diesel, and lovin' the new truck.
10 Posts
It's definitely not a scam in my truck. When I use anything but Costco 'Top Tier', my engine has a definite diesel clatter, really noticeable on light throttle from takeoff. Adding Optilube 'summer' helps, but it doesn't fully eliminate the clatter. With the Top Tier there is no clatter whatsoever; sounds like a gas engine. Not exactly a definitive scientific test, but it was an eye-opener for me. Wish the stuff was available more places.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's definitely not a scam in my truck. When I use anything but Costco 'Top Tier', my engine has a definite diesel clatter, really noticeable on light throttle from takeoff. Adding Optilube 'summer' helps, but it doesn't fully eliminate the clatter. With the Top Tier there is no clatter whatsoever; sounds like a gas engine. Not exactly a definitive scientific test, but it was an eye-opener for me. Wish the stuff was available more places.
I'm not against using it - Costco moves a ton of diesel, so you're pretty much assured that you're not getting a tank of old fuel - similar to what you'd get at a truck stop.. However it could also be that the other sources you have at your disposal don't move much diesel, and so perhaps what you have to compare Costco diesel to is not very good. Either way, the fact remains that it's the same diesel, but just with different additive packs which are mixed in when the fuel is transferred to the delivery trucks. If you're seeing a benefit from it, then the question is either the above scenario, or what is different about Costco's treatments that they're using that the others don't use? I'm betting it's ACDelco's treatment - there's just no other reason why GM would promote it over others.

Also, I don't have the issue you're seeing at all, and I too have the 3.0L Duramax. I don't hear this as a common complaint - first I've heard anyone mention it actually.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also, I don't have the issue you're seeing at all, and I too have the 3.0L Duramax. I don't hear this as a common complaint - first I've heard anyone mention it actually.
I was a little bit concerned until I read about the clatter in one of the forums. A poster had asked his dealer about it, was assured that it was normal diesel noise. Mine definitely comes and goes with different fuel fillups, nonexistent with the Top Tier from Costco.

But a mild diesel clatter is the least of my worries about my truck. It's one of the ones affected by the 'cranks but won't start' issue, evidently an $11k warranty repair. Sigh.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dude that's a horrific problem to be having... Very sorry that you're having to deal with that. But I see now why you were using the diesel they recommended too - if that were happening to me I'd be running it to the letter of what the manual states just so none of it reflects back on me as "operator induced error".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts