Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to replace my 03 LB7.

A little back story, I run an horseback outfitting service in Colorado. I go everywhere with a heavy load 15000-20000 loads of horses up and down dirt 4x4 mountain roads. My LB7 has worked hard its entire life and other than injectors has had almost zero issues.

I test drove a LML thinking it would be the next truck. I was very unhappy with the engine brake feature. It did me no good, and now I am confused about what truck I want. Creeping down mountain roads with loads I almost never go faster than 15mph. I want an engine brake that starts at any speed, and goes until I stop the vechicle. The LML did not do this.

Am I missing something? Can this be modified? There don't seem to be any aftermarket engine brakes for the LML? Should I look for a different model dmax that I can put a pac brake or similar on?

I am looking for any advice about heavy hauling with Dmax. I know I want a Duramax but should I go with an LML or something else? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
My truck doesn't have an exhaust brake and I've never owned one that did. But... I don't think you will ever find one where the exhaust brake works from 15 mph -0 .... any brand, any model. It's not what the exhaust brakes are intended for. But, as I said, I am certainly no expert.

As far a extreme towing, a '20 model should be the best thing out there. Max tow rating on this model took a HUGE jump over all previous models and it has things like bigger radiator, huge cooling fan and lots of other goodies for heavy towing.

Reactions: shotgunwillie69

·
Registered
992 Posts
And I believe on the 2020 the torque converter will lock in first gear. Wouldn't need an exhaust brake in that case. If the torque converter isn't locked an exhaust brake does nothing. Even the pac brakes.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Yes. Forgot to mention that just the "grade braking" feature of the transmission should work pretty damn good on a 10 speed. Actually it's one of the first things I heard the engineers bragging about in videos when the '20s were released.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have an ‘07 LBZ. My family and I borrow my in-law’s 5th wheel once a year and go to the mountains. The LBZ does a very good job. This year I ended up having to take my father-in-law’s ‘20 duramax. Holy shit what a difference. The ‘20s are beasts! The 10 speed is a work of art and coupled with the turbo brake, it handled Raton pass in NM like a champ. I had to give it gas a few times to speed up going downhill because it was slowing too much. If you can afford it, get yourself a ‘20. It was an awesome towing experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts