Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just hit 132k on my '03 with the original injectors, and the bitch started smoking at idle. I'm going to have the balance rates checked to be sure, but I'm pretty confident the injectors will need to be replaced.
Here's the question. What else should I be doing while I'm in there? I might add EFI live at some point, but will probably never do a turbo or tranny upgrade. I tow a light trailer, and plow my driveway, but other that that I just use the thing as a car. I've been thinking about head studs/gaskets, and doing the water pump. I've also thought about doing the idler pulley, a belt, hoses, and maybe the radiator and the alternator.
I'm going to do the high pressure lines while I'm at it, and I already have new stainless fuel lines as well as an Air Dog fuel pump that will go in at the same time.
The truck is an '03 with 132k on it, but aside from one rocker panel (which is getting replaced) it's in really nice shape. I would like to run it for six or seven more years, which would put it a little over 200k. I don't want to skip anything now just to have it break in the next year or two. I've really liked having a nice reliable truck for the last five years, want to keep it that way.
Thanks.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I learned when I did my injectors (weekend before last) there's really not a lot extra you can do in there at the time.

I've been told if you don't go crazy with EFI live we'll be fine without head studs etc. The FPR is close but you have to pull off a bunch of extra stuff to get at it. I kinda wish I would've replaced my FPR while I was in there, but I didn't cause it's not acting up. I think I'm going to get some kind of chip with a 90'ish HP gain and slap it in and run it as is. I'm over 240k on (as far as I can tell) original head gaskets so that's the next thing I'm sure I'll have to replace... yippee!

·
Vendor
2,186 Posts
Since you are already doing the injector job, you could always adjust the valves while you have everything tore down. Your already on the right track by replacing the high pressure fuel lines and adding a lift pump. Do you have any future plans with your truck? If not, we would recommend leaving your head gaskets alone for now, as long as you are not having any coolant issues.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I vote for checking valve lash since your there.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I adjusted my valve lash when I replaced a set of injectors at about 290k miles. Most of them were off a good bit and really needed adjustment.

The other thing I did the 2nd time I personally did my injectors was replace the allen head valve cover screws. Those allen heads look nice but they are a REAL pain in the ass tearing own AND going back together. I bet using normal hex head bolts saves me 2-3 hours minimum on an injector replacement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts