Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new to the forum. I recently purchased a 2017 l5p with 20k miles. I was vacuuming the truck out today and noticed this weird box that has been spliced into the wiring of the truck. And this other little guy with a button on it. Have any of you seen this? Definitely not factory. I unscrewed them from the brace Hand Automotive tire Wood Finger Nail
Gadget Finger Material property Thumb Wood
Finger Wood Gas Bumper Office equipment
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Electrical wiring Automotive lighting
Camera lens Finger Automotive tire Cameras & optics Gadget
Camera lens Finger Automotive tire Cameras & optics Gadget

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Electrical wiring Automotive lighting

Hand Automotive tire Wood Finger Nail

Finger Wood Gas Bumper Office equipment

Gadget Finger Material property Thumb Wood

·
Registered
473 Posts
I would guess a trailer brake. Not sure about the separate button though.

·
Registered
483 Posts
GPS tracking device that some dealerships install and then try to up sell it to you.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
1,519 Posts
Reactions: Sherif4119

·
Premium Member
2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD
132 Posts
If you press the button, does the truck start or not start? I’m wondering if it’s a kill switch…

·
Registered
64 Posts
Looks like a GPS tracking module. Was it a fleet truck or a company owned truck?

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Remote start to many wires for a tracker.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got the car fox from the dealer. The old owner actually lived 20 minutes from me. But the truck only has 20k on the clock. Lifted with American force wheels. So I don’t think it was a fleet truck of any sort. These pickups come with a trailer brake. I pushed the button a few times with the truck off and running as well and it didn’t do anything. Idk. The truck is still under warranty for 3 more years. I think I’ll just have them remove it because I do t want to be healed liable for tampering with the electrical if there is ever a claim in the future. I’m curious if it is a gps as well.

·
Premium Member
2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD
132 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I entered the top 10 digits into Google, looks like a kill switch/GPS. Read the description…

Hard Wire Fleet Car Auto Vehicle GPS Tracker with Ignition Kill Switch Control Tracking Device
by Spy Spot Investigations
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H8AO8WG/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_S2CMYYKPQTY9CY6317X5
Interesting. I just found a guy that posted on here the same thing back in 2016. But nobody had any answers for him. Is it me or does it appear that the OBD has a cap and splitter on it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ya that looks like a splitter. Those GPS trackers often have that. At least on the semi log trucks I work on.

·
Premium Member
10,831 Posts
Welcome to the DF!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Just curious to OP- did you try pressing it and then cutting the ignition? Maybe it's a turbo timer?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts