Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry for so many post just excited to be in the diesel world and got alot of questions. So being the first diesel ive owned whats some do and dont? Ive heard its bad to run your truck for a short period of time? Should i let the truck warm up before i get going? Anything i should know? Whats some good fuel additives? Ive searched it and alot of old forums come up but not anything recent.

Thanks in advance!

·
Tennessee Smokin'
490 Posts
I like Diesel Kleen. You can pick it up at autozone or any similar parts stores. Always good to let your truck warm up a little before driving and yes driving short trips is not good for them over a long period of time. ummm good idea to let it idle for a bit before you shut it off if you've been running it pretty good. Hope this helps and congrats on the truck. Take some time and fill out your sig when you get a minute. It lets people know what ya got so they can help you with your questions. Theres a ton of great advice here on every subject known to man......diesel and non diesel

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Don't put gas in it.........................:rofl:rofl

·
Registered
831 Posts
Best piece of info I can give you: Diesels are panty droppers. Exploit this knowledge!!!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like Diesel Kleen. You can pick it up at autozone or any similar parts stores. Always good to let your truck warm up a little before driving and yes driving short trips is not good for them over a long period of time. ummm good idea to let it idle for a bit before you shut it off if you've been running it pretty good. Hope this helps and congrats on the truck. Take some time and fill out your sig when you get a minute. It lets people know what ya got so they can help you with your questions. Theres a ton of great advice here on every subject known to man......diesel and non diesel
Thanks man! exactly the answer i was looking for! Thought i filled out sig but not showing for some reason. Thanks again for the advice!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another question! How often do you use Diesel Kleen? Every tank, every other?

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Another question! How often do you use Diesel Kleen? Every tank, every other?
I use it in every tank. It literally makes your injection events quieter.

·
Tennessee Smokin'
490 Posts
I use it every other tank. Just what I do. Alot of people use it every tank.

·
it goes vroom then bang!
608 Posts
the most important thing to know is....... if it burns when you pee its not normal.

·
Rode the Short Bus
2,380 Posts
You should know its not a chip, its a programmer.

Congrats on the new truck...good part is you'll never go back to gas.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
NEVER-- NEVER put any combustible liquid in the intake of a diesel.
[ether, gas, oil, diesel, Sea Foam, cleaning chemicals, etc]

The diesel has NO throttle body to control air intake, and needs no ignition to run, if it has fuel in the engine, it will run up to 10,000 RPM-- well it will try to, until it blows up!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Always let the diesel idle for a minute before shutting it off. This allows the turbo to stop spinning before the oil supply is stopped!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Ha yeah gotta get use to pushing the diesel button now!!!
It won't take but that first time putting a few gallons in before you realize wtf you've done. After having a buddy tell you put 2 qts of ATF in it and fill it the rest of the way up with #2, you'll remember the next time. Owning your first diesel and knowing how $$ stuff is will be in the FRONT of your mind when you start pouring shit in the fuel tank that's supposed to go in the tranny not knowing how or why it will fix your fk up, but just going on blind faith. Trust me, not a good feeling, but nothing bad came ab:thumb

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
ATF burns really well actually... it's just not good for emissions.

semitruck service department i work for fills all their fuel filters to the top with dex III. so you're fine

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
ATF burns really well actually... it's just not good for emissions.

semitruck service department i work for fills all their fuel filters to the top with dex III. so you're fine
ATF is not good. That is an old trick that doesn't really apply anymore. ATF now has Minerals (friction modifiers) in it that dont burn and can do damage to injectors, cp3, And the whole engine..that being said, if you choose to use a lubricant that isn't designed specifically for diesels then use something designed to burn like two stroke oil. Your safest and Most proven bet is through an additive. Diesel kleen is what I use and it works great.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
And to add, yes ATF will burn, but there are microscopic particles that don't and they can and will do damage.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
are you talking about synthetic ATF like dex VI or old school dex/merc. either way i don't do it and don't forsee any damage from some accidental consumption

·
Registered
591 Posts
There should be no microscopic particles in any name brand fluids of any kind period. I work in the labaratory for ExxonMobil refinery and as far as we are concerned there is some majorly strict testing to ensure no particles in any oil. As far as diesel kleen the best part of it is the cetane boost because my job is testing fuels i.e. diesel and gasoline and we do not give away anything we dont have to. Meaning 87 is 87 and a 40 cetane is as close to it as possible.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts