Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok when on the highway my truck has a surge to it kinda like its missing or something what should i look for?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would install a new fuel filter for starters and see if that helps any. I'm sure others will chime in.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it has new filters on it could it be a outta balance drive shaft or tires cuz i know i have those going on

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,952 Posts
Clean your MAF sensor. See if that helps. Next is how many miles do you have on the motor? Have you had injectors? Does it only surge on the highway?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Could be the Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR). My truck was doing the same thing and I changed mine, surging is gone now.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
truck has 120k and new injectors at 70k and yea i reallt have only felt it on the hwy and ill check on those two but how hard is it to put on a fpr?

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's a pretty tough job. It sits ontop of the fuel pump I think and in order to get to it you pretty much have to tear down the front part of the engine. I had it done by a mechanic and it cost a little over $500.

·
XBoxLive: RenegadeDuramax
1,776 Posts
I'm pretty sure the DIY section of the forum has a write up on replacing the FPR. You don't have to tear down the engine, just the periperals on the front so that you can get to it.

If your FPR is bad, you will usually throw codes. I would try to diagnose it a little better before I tried to replace a part that is that expensive.

Also, you may want to try changing your fuel filter again. They are only good for between 4,000 and 6,000 miles and you could have bought some bad fuel.

Clean the air filter and MAF sensor first too. When cleaning the MAF sensor, be careful with it. It is delicate. Use only MAF sensor cleaner available at most parts stores. Let it air dry naturally before reinstalling.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok thanks guys! and now that i think about it the guy who had the truck before me did have a wore out kandn filter that looked like he dipped it in some atf lol ill change the fuel filters and clean the MAF or as the kid up the street told me to change the plugs and wires mite help? yea sure mr A.C.E CERTIFIED mechanic hahaha

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had the same problem but it got worst and now lopes at an idle. It doesnt throw a code. I think its the fpr but Im still not sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts