Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking into getting a canned tuner, I was wondering what everybody thinks. I like the edge evo cts race or the blackmaxx. Any help would be great, Thanks

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
id get the CTS race im getting ready to order one actually, ive never been around the blackmaxx.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Any high horsepower tune especially a canned one is gonna be harsh on a stock truck. I would stay bellow 100hp on a 5 speed Allison and below 150 on the 6 speed and even that can be a little much. People seem to have good luck with quadzilla and PPE that would be the route i would go

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
my buddy has a blackmaxx in his 09 cummins..shelled his tranny (typical dodge) but he loves it..I have driven his truck with the setting on very low and all I have to say is if they made one that would fit my truck, I would buy it in a heartbeat..they are a little pricey though..

I have another buddy with a PPE race and he loves it too, I like the PPE and for the price you cant beat it..:drink

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
ppe is a good tuner the edge is also a decent chose havent heard much about the blackmaxx

·
Registered
915 Posts

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
all I have to say is the blackmaxx is mean, but so is the price!!

·
Registered
915 Posts
all I have to say is the blackmaxx is mean, but so is the price!!
Blackmaxx is a nice unit but for that price you could get efi live and guages and still have money left over and be capable to make more HP. $1300 for 175hp and then you still have to pay a extra $100 to unlock the custom tunning feature. Pricey!

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
X2^^^^it is crazy..I just went with the PPE, that one buddy of mine that had the edge didnt like it, I think that blackmaxx is better than the edge but im stickin with the PPE on my truck:D

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Thanks for help, It is a 2010 LMM
I have not been impressed so far with any of the commercial tuning I have seen for LMM. So I don't have one to suggest. (and i don't offer any for sale) Part of that sentiment is the harm that these tunes do to the DPF regen frequency, and regen efficiency.

A non-DPF tune is typically the same as the DPF tune, and I think this is a mistake, but that is what you typically get in cookie cutter efforts. We can view the changed code, and the low effort becomes apparent in the number of tables that get any attention.

FWIW.

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
Any high horsepower tune especially a canned one is gonna be harsh on a stock truck. I would stay bellow 100hp on a 5 speed Allison and below 150 on the 6 speed and even that can be a little much. People seem to have good luck with quadzilla and PPE that would be the route i would go
don't get a quad my 5th is shot cause of it, spend the money get the edge it wont hurt nothin as long as you don't run it like i do mine.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Edge CTS and PPE are the way to go

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
Starkist or Chicken-of-the-Sea...
:rof Damn! I thought the same thing about canned tuna. I guess if you are from Boston, you'd probably confuse the hell of out people. :rof

1 - 20 of 21 Posts