Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I want to put better and enhancing lights on my 1997 F150. I need to know what the difference between Hid headlights is and Led headlights are. I am looking for the type of headlights you would find on newer vehicles.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
If you want to have the color either from yellow(3000K) to blue (8000K) to purple (12000K) they are using HID's I', running 8000K Blues for High Beam and Low Beam , and 3000K for my fogs

·
Registered
831 Posts
HID uses a gas charged bulb that heats up to create light (hence the warm up phase). An LED is just a light emitting diode. With the HID, the closer the color temp to around 4300k is, the brighter the light. As you go up to say 8000k, the color deepens (towards the blue end of the spectrum) and looks bad ass, but you lose seeing distance...

·
Registered
542 Posts
LED headlight bulbs don't put out much light currently. There are a few LED assembly's available like the old round style bulb, but the type that fit in our housings don't put out much. Go with HID.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
LED is still an emerging technology. You have to pay a small fortune to get light bars with any real light output. I recommend you stick with HID.

·
Registered
904 Posts
As far as I know with the little research I have done here latley. No one rates the LED bulb for headlight use due to lack of output.

all the newer vehicles you see have HID's

I am using 6k HID's in both of our vehicles

·
Registered
633 Posts
about $500 right now....lol

Harley's have this and they are great but waaaay to pricey.

HID kits are cheap....and despite what people tell you, all the plug and play kits are the same. The only difference is small ballast and large ballast. If you pay more than $36 shipped for a kit, you paid too much.

Smaller the K the brighter(and up to a point,4300k, whiter) the color.

There are 35w kits and 55w kits. 35w kits have no issues to speak of. Some 55w kits "can" cause heat issues. Depends on your housing.

I've done countless HID kits in ATVs to my Dmax. The only real issue I have ever encountered was a need for a relay in 1 ATV. The 35w kits is cheap easy and incredibly effective. Warranty is quick and easy. For example, my latest kit, I was unhappy with the color of the bulbs, they sent me 2 new ones for free.

·
Registered
633 Posts
There are some higher end cars that have LED headlights. MB and BMW have one.

·
Registered
904 Posts
about $500 right now....lol

Harley's have this and they are great but waaaay to pricey.

HID kits are cheap....and despite what people tell you, all the plug and play kits are the same. The only difference is small ballast and large ballast. If you pay more than $36 shipped for a kit, you paid too much.

Smaller the K the brighter(and up to a point,4300k, whiter) the color.

There are 35w kits and 55w kits. 35w kits have no issues to speak of. Some 55w kits "can" cause heat issues. Depends on your housing.

I've done countless HID kits in ATVs to my Dmax. The only real issue I have ever encountered was a need for a relay in 1 ATV. The 35w kits is cheap easy and incredibly effective. Warranty is quick and easy. For example, my latest kit, I was unhappy with the color of the bulbs, they sent me 2 new ones for free.
who do you use DDM?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Make sure they are legit hid kits tho if u go the eBay route. I paid $80 a pair and get free ballast and bulb replacements from a local guy. I'm going on a 2nd passenger fog replacement at no charge.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Make sure they are legit hid kits tho if u go the eBay route. I paid $80 a pair and get free ballast and bulb replacements from a local guy. I'm going on a 2nd passenger fog replacement at no charge.
Sounds like you got another problem.

·
Registered
287 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts