Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am unsure on the payload capacity of my truck, a 2013 Silverado 2500HD crew-cab 4x4 standard bed (6 foot) diesel.

One website says 3000 lbs but that seems awfully low. A regular cab F150 2wd has 3200 lbs capacity. How can my truck have the same capacity?

Are the 2500HD diesels nearly the same as a 3500 ?

How underated is the GM stated payload capacity ? Is 3900 lbs too much ? The heaviest thing I have hauled in the bed was a 2400 lb machine tool.

·
Registered
185 Posts
No such thing as standard payload capacity. That’s a number that depends on many variables.

What does the sticker in your driver’s door jamb say? Subtract curb weight from GVW and that’ll give you an answer too.

And no, 3,000lb is not low for a crew cab, standard bed, 4x4, diesel 2500HD.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just had my truck weighed in at a vehicle weight scale. It comes in at 8,060 lbs empty.

That means I only got 2000lbs payload. I have read online that the factory rates the paylod as 3000 or 3400lbs.

I don't understand how a 2500HD diesel can only have 2000lb of payload. The GCVW is 10,000lbs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Autoblog says the 2013 Silverdao 2500HD crew-cab LTZ 4x4 weighs in at 6,434lbs. It does not say if this weight is for a diesel or gas. I am assuming it is for the V8 gas version because the V8 is stated as the base engine.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just had my truck weighed in at a vehicle weight scale. It comes in at 8,060 lbs empty.

That means I only got 2000lbs payload. I have read online that the factory rates the paylod as 3000 or 3400lbs.

I don't understand how a 2500HD diesel can only have 2000lb of payload. The GCVW is 10,000lbs.
You answered your own question.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Autoblog says the 2013 Silverdao 2500HD crew-cab LTZ 4x4 weighs in at 6,434lbs. It does not say if this weight is for a diesel or gas. I am assuming it is for the V8 gas version because the V8 is stated as the base engine.

Would you trust a magazine article or a scale?

·
Registered
361 Posts
8000 pounds is a little on the heavy side, it must be pretty well outfitted. Yeah you can haul more than a ton on any 2500HD. Mfr's stated ratings on the placard are lame with lots of slack factor built in. At the weight of your truck if you're going to load it down, rear tires are your first concern. Just run good rubber and pump them up to max. It'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I am unsure on the payload capacity of my truck, a 2013 Silverado 2500HD crew-cab 4x4 standard bed (6 foot) diesel.

One website says 3000 lbs but that seems awfully low. A regular cab F150 2wd has 3200 lbs capacity. How can my truck have the same capacity?

Are the 2500HD diesels nearly the same as a 3500 ?

How underated is the GM stated payload capacity ? Is 3900 lbs too much ? The heaviest thing I have hauled in the bed was a 2400 lb machine tool.
First of all the factory payload calculation subtracts 150 lbs of capacity for every passenger seat in the cab. That is why the highest payloads are the trucks with the regular cabs. Second factor is the wheels and tires on the truck when it left the factory. It it is a SRW truck with the factory tires rated at 3100 lbs then the rear end will support 6200 lbs minus the 3400 lb weight of the truck leaving a payload rating of 2800 lbs - at most.

I changed out the tires on my 2500HD to gain 1100 lbs of payload capacity at the rear wheels and I added SuperSprings to gain 1400 lbs of spring load capacity. Truck was rated for 2800 lbs when it left the factory but I have put thousands of highway miles on the truck with a 4,000 lb camper load in the bed and the truck dead level front to back and no bouncing or sway.

Go to a dealer lot and look at the payload sticker for the different 2500 and 3500 trucks with different cabs and different wheels and tires and you will see the different payload ratings. Unfortunately dealers put on lower rated chrome wheels and 22 inch tires that help their profits but reduce the payload capacity of the truck for those customers that actually want to use the truck bed to carry loads.

Lowered or lifted trucks also have a reduced real world payload and towing capacity which is why I have long thought that the higher the truck the lower the owner's IQ.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts