Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is this high pitch noise? Definitely coming from passenger side but I can’t tell if it’s front or rear of motor. If I rev it seems to go away so just at idle from what I can tell.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
From the vid, noise is louder when yer phone is forward in the wheel well.
I would guess a tensioner or idler pulley is on it's way out.

Remove the drive belt, try to duplicate. Water pump is gear driven, not belt driven, so there's nothing to harm by running the engine with no drive belt on it.....other than you won't have power steering or boosted brakes.

·
Premium Member
4,641 Posts
From the vid, noise is louder when yer phone is forward in the wheel well.
I would guess a tensioner or idler pulley is on it's way out.

Remove the drive belt, try to duplicate. Water pump is gear driven, not belt driven, so there's nothing to harm by running the engine with no drive belt on it.....other than you won't have power steering or boosted brakes.
or an alternator charging your battery

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. I can try that out. It started pissing rain of course right when I was getting ready to do my pcv reroute so I’ll give it a bit. I panicked thinking it was an injector or cp3 type noise. I’m still learning so I don’t know what I don’t know about diesels yet haha

But dam it’s fun tinkering already.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
That hot spot on sound forward is 'bout 8 inches away from your tensioner, down low and just behind that fender liner.
I’m still learning so I don’t know what I don’t know about diesels yet haha
HUGE amounts of things in the engine bay are easily accessed thru the fender wells on the HDs, so familiarize yourself with removing 'em.....easy stuff.

If you don't have one, pick up a tool to remove the push pins that hold in the fender liner (and many other things under the hood), so they're easily removed without tearing 'em up with a screwdriver & pliers. Makes life much easier and they're inexpensive.

Reactions: 77cruiser

·
Premium Member
4,641 Posts
Since you are still learning, this thread may be of interest to you:

PS, when you go to some of those links, you will recognize the author. No it is not me.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I’ve noticed going through the fender well is a lot easier plus having a 7” lift there’s all kinds of room now. I already bought a 120 pack of these push button clips off eBay got $6 haha. I’ve seen the pry tool but never pliers fit them. Might pick up a pair.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since you are still learning, this thread may be of interest to you:

PS, when you go to some of those links, you will recognize the author. No it is not me.
Yup I actually have the link to that post in my inbox when I first signed up. Read through a bunch of them already. Great info

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finished the pcv reroute, installed my egr blocker plate with the cooler still inside so shouldn’t have up pipe cracking issues, and degreased the engine bay. I got pcv adaptors on eBay for $20 and got 7’ of 5/8 heater hose from autozone for $15 and a T fitting for $5. Not sure why these kits are $100 plus online!!
I routed both sides together and since I had so much extra hose carried it down and along the frame rail ending just between the front and rear passenger doors.
I suck at pictures FYI

Started it up and the sound from my first post was gone. So not sure if it will come back or not yet.

Took it for a drive to help dry off the engine bay and got myfirst limp mode on the freeway. Pulled over and got all kinds of codes initially haha so I think I was a little extra with the water. I knew I’d get the two EGR codes but also had the p0700 and a mass airflow sensor code. Pulled over and cleared them on the CTS2 and was good. They haven’t come back yet, well except the 401 and 402 codes. Those are here to stay I think until I wire in my fingers stick hopefully

7DB44F0C-C529-43A6-A303-E1EC7E27468E.jpeg 003F4E86-D96A-4F6E-AF5C-60C99C1BF21D.jpeg 29C0B367-07A0-4DD2-9C44-A60F30679B03.jpeg A8C81724-D81B-488B-BBE5-1D30B99404C2.jpeg EF874051-CBEB-4919-8D31-B85ABE09519F.jpeg A0E664E7-BA6D-402A-9B1C-D826344D2BC6.jpeg 915BD74A-09D4-4215-8A42-88F4B7237129.jpeg

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Noise came back the next day. Goes away with more throttle but there at idle e en after warm up

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok it’s not pulleys or tensioner. I’m pretty sure I was able to isolate the sound to the fuel filter housing. If that’s the case what would cause this noise?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Couldn’t be air in the filter housing could it? My newly installed FASS lift pump was making a nasty noise so I cracked open the water filter screw and let it drain a sec and noise went away. Not sure if they could be related at all tho

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still haven’t been able to figure this idle noise out. I think it’s coming from the filter assembly or in that immediate area. But what would cause it

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Interesting.

No moving parts in the filter head to make noise.

But not far away from that is.....the bellows on the pass side up pipe. o_O

1 - 17 of 17 Posts