Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys, i finally got a dmax so now the fun begins. it is a 02 with 107,000 miles. I want to flush the radiator to freshen things up a bit. My question is do you guys use the dex cool antifreeze or do u change it for the green stuff. The reason i ask is because i know that the dexcool doesnt resist corrosion as much of the green stuff. Also do u guys use any coolant additives and what kind do u use? Thanks for the input.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Most guys on other forums change over to the green stuff since the dexcool allows nasty things to happen. the only problem with switching over is that you need to do a very good job on flushing the system because the dexcool and the green stuff will solidify if mixed. I don't know this for a fact, but from reading the various forums online.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
I know on alot of cars the dex cool has done havic. It deteriorates the aluminum and plugs port holes and radiators / heater cores. So it can go either way as long as the Dex col is replaced often it will be fine but the greem is almost fail safe. So you have two options You can have someone with a machine to do it. When I was in school we trained on BG machines. You basically hook the machine in line and in the coolant system and let the old stuff run out and new stuff pushed in. But thats often costly.

I have a 1997 silverado with a 350 vortec which I bought at 180,000 miles. The overflow jug and rad where full with almost black looking stuff (suppose to be dexcool) when i bought it, it was chunky and garbage. I ended up flushing it and changing it over. I removing the upper and lower rad hose and drained the junk out. Then flushd the motor and rad out. Then put the hoses back on and ran it till the thermostat opend then I drained it again reflushed and filled with the green stuff :thumbsup

Either way Id still flush the system thuroughly. Dont forget there is all kinds of ports in the motor plus the heater core in the cab. :rolleyes:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
86 Posts
Do not put the green stuff into your diesel engine! You should only use silicate-free anti-freeze in diesel coolant systems. There are many other brands besides GM DexCool if you don't want to use that. If you have the radiator serviced as recommended it does not cause any problems. In the end, it's your money do as you wish.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know on alot of cars the dex cool has done havic. It deteriorates the aluminum and plugs port holes and radiators / heater cores. So it can go either way as long as the Dex col is replaced often it will be fine but the greem is almost fail safe. So you have two options You can have someone with a machine to do it. When I was in school we trained on BG machines. You basically hook the machine in line and in the coolant system and let the old stuff run out and new stuff pushed in. But thats often costly.

I have a 1997 silverado with a 350 vortec which I bought at 180,000 miles. The overflow jug and rad where full with almost black looking stuff (suppose to be dexcool) when i bought it, it was chunky and garbage. I ended up flushing it and changing it over. I removing the upper and lower rad hose and drained the junk out. Then flushd the motor and rad out. Then put the hoses back on and ran it till the thermostat opend then I drained it again reflushed and filled with the green stuff :thumbsup

Either way Id still flush the system thuroughly. Dont forget there is all kinds of ports in the motor plus the heater core in the cab. :rolleyes:
Sounds like someone used stop leak in the system, Dex cool is pretty good stuff, 3rd truck with 200k using it and no problems. Wifes suburban with 80k no problems. btw it does not attack aluminum nor promote corrosion

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dex cool, it says so in manual and I don't want GM to nix me if my injectors go south before 200k warranty expires.:gearjamin

·
Registered
142 Posts
Uhm, hasn't anyone ever heard of the class action lawsuit AGAINST Dex-Cool? That stuff is garbage. Anything after '96 has that crap in the radiator. It ate away my 96 Camaro's gaskets, and left so much sludge in my in-laws Olds Intrigue, they had to replace the water pump and radiator. Prestone makes a coolant that can be mixed with any existing coolant. I also added DEI Cooling Additive for ''superior cooling and lubrication''. Hope this brigs some light onto the subject.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Uhm, hasn't anyone ever heard of the class action lawsuit AGAINST Dex-Cool? That stuff is garbage. Anything after '96 has that crap in the radiator. It ate away my 96 Camaro's gaskets, and left so much sludge in my in-laws Olds Intrigue, they had to replace the water pump and radiator. Prestone makes a coolant that can be mixed with any existing coolant. I also added DEI Cooling Additive for ''superior cooling and lubrication''. Hope this brigs some light onto the subject.
x2. I have had more problems with dex-cool than any other antifreeze I have ever used. Ruined two engines in my Buick before I quit using it. My mechanic said he just about refuses to put the junk back into an engine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Do not put the green stuff into your diesel engine! You should only use silicate-free anti-freeze in diesel coolant systems. There are many other brands besides GM DexCool if you don't want to use that. If you have the radiator serviced as recommended it does not cause any problems. In the end, it's your money do as you wish.
Baloney!! Not one BIG diesel engine company (CAT, Cummins, Detroit, John Deere, etc.) uses anything BUT the green coolant in their diesel engines. I know of numerous semis pushing 2 million miles on green coolant. Dex-cool could never do that.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Those who want to use dex-cool must have alot more money than I have. Typically on my car I had to change it about every 15,000 miles because the reading showed it was about junk by then. Green I can push close to 50,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
So, the question is, what standards do we need to meet in order to find an appropriate replacement for Dex-cool?

I'm assuming coolants have standards like oils. Does any one know the code for the appropriate coolant standard for our trucks?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have been sticking with the tried and proven, good old green, so far. Have not had any problems to this point. I don't know of any standards per say for coolants but I am not an authority on this. Just speaking from my own experiences so far.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
dex cool is junk. the thing about dex cool is that it jacks with seals. ok so it wont kill your dog if your dog drinks it but it is pure crap. you cant beat good old ethylene glycol thats the green stuff. just remember the green stuff will kill your dog.
Those who want to use dex-cool must have alot more money than I have. Typically on my car I had to change it about every 15,000 miles because the reading showed it was about junk by then. Green I can push close to 50,000 miles.
x2 ethylene glycol is a hell a lot cheaper and will last longer then dex cool. If there are people out there telling you that the ethylene glycol is bad for the motor or any parts they are full of crap. That is the only stuff I will run in my D-max,3406E and my C-15. In the end it is all about how dex cool wont kill your dog and how ethylene glycol will.

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
never heard that before guys!!

So if I wanna get rid of the neighbors cat,I'll use the green one right??J/K!!
I'd like to hear more about this as I'm about to change the Dex cool if it's gonna trash my damn seals,gaskets etc.That's pretty disturbing to hear this.Why would GM put this junk in our coolant tanks.Sounds bout their speed though.I think I'll change to the green stuff??Anyone else have solid info??

·
7,336 Posts
Well I looked online ans saw the lawsuits for myself!!Someone tell me what to use!!

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
dex cool is junk. the thing about dex cool is that it jacks with seals. ok so it wont kill your dog if your dog drinks it but it is pure crap. you cant beat good old ethylene glycol thats the green stuff. just remember the green stuff will kill your dog.

x2 ethylene glycol is a hell a lot cheaper and will last longer then dex cool. If there are people out there telling you that the ethylene glycol is bad for the motor or any parts they are full of crap. That is the only stuff I will run in my D-max,3406E and my C-15. In the end it is all about how dex cool wont kill your dog and how ethylene glycol will.
Both old green AND dexcool are 96% diethylene glycol. Its the other 4% that changes.

...and both will lay waste to all your pets.

For the others, if really wanting to replace dexcool, use Zerex G-06. It is a very nice low silicate formulated hybrid OAT.

·
7,336 Posts
Alright then,I'll check the Zerex out on my next trip to auto parts store...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Dex-Cool has a awesome sounding name.... I'd use it. Joking, I really dont know the difference between the two, just trying to lighten up this thread a little...:cool
:drink

Reactions: Bogie

·
7,336 Posts
Dex-Cool has a awesome sounding name.... I'd use it. Joking, I really dont know the difference between the two, just trying to lighten up this thread a little...:cool
:drink
No joke right!!I was really needing an honest opinion on what to use,since I paid this mutha trucka cash,I'd hate to mess up things..I looked on some of the lawsiut sites and they give lists of vehicles affected,Duramax trucks are not included in em!!Mostly the v6 engines in BOP and olds cars with the 3.1 and 3.4 v6 IIRC...No problems with Dexcool reported after 2005 year models....I am not above suing them if my investment suffers damage as a result of this!!But I can say that I'll be getting that s.h.i.p outta my truck ASAP......

1 - 20 of 28 Posts