Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! New guy here that is thinkin about buyin a Duramax truck! Ive got a few questions that I need honest real world answers to before I make any firm decisions... The question at hand is what kind of mileage do yall gett out of your trucks? I know there are several different engine platforms but I dont know if that has much bearing on mileage. I am "most" interested in what kind of mileage is capable in a bone stock truck. If I get one Ill add the basics like exhaust, intake, tuner.... Ill spend most driving on country roads followed by highway drivin then a little bit of city driving but not nearly as much as the other two. So lets hear it! What are ya gettin out of your trucks!

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
hey glad u joined!i have a 06 lbz stock driving under nice condition i got 17 miles a gallon,but drive it hard you'll drop down to 13 to 14.that truck is a 2500HD crew cab short bed.i also have 05 lly stock i got 15 straight across and that is a ext. cab dully.i'm happy to say,i now (CAN) get up to 19 to 22 on both trucks driving nice.

05 lly dually mods,the mirrors off my 06 2500HD,programmer ppe hot soon to be upgraded to the hot e.t. 2:fart ,ppe boost controller,S&B air intake,dual 4" siverline turbo back exhuast with 5" tip no cats,bully dog shift kit soon to be upgraded to stage v sun coast transmission with triple disc torque converter$$:gearjamin,wish list:teasetwin turbos,dual cp3 fueler,bigger injecters,and so on$$$$

·
Registered
142 Posts
Mileage can vary based on which motor is in the truck (LB7, LLY, LBZ) and also if it is 2 or 4 wheel drive. Then you have to factor in where you live...because mileage when it is cold drops a lot. Please give us a little more to go on so you don't get a range from 6-25 mpg. Personally I have an 02 crew long box 4x4. This time of year I am getting around 16 mpg (last week barely made it above 0 F) with a mix of interstate and county highways. During the summer I will get 18-20 (at least I was last summer before ULSD).

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
they are both 4wd on the lbz i added a ppe programmer 5" exhaust getting average 21.5,and on the lly i added a ppe hot et 2 air intake dual 4" exhuast and i average 20.my bad i should have been more pacific.

05 lly dually mods,the mirrors off my 06 2500HD,programmer ppe hot soon to be upgraded to the hot e.t. 2:fart ,ppe boost controller,S&B air intake,dual 4" siverline turbo back exhuast with 5" tip no cats,bully dog shift kit soon to be upgraded to stage v sun coast transmission with triple disc torque converter$$:gearjamin,wish list:teasetwin turbos,dual cp3 fueler,bigger injecters,and so on$$$$

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I will get a 2500 4x4, ex cab, short or long bed either way. I live in Southern IL so the weather is fairly mild most of the time with cold snaps. Im not likely to baby the truck around but Im not gonna whip on it either. I would say I fall in the moderatly aggresive drivin style. Mostly easy driving with the usualy pedal mashes lol.

If I could get 20mpg out of a duramax truck then Im sold lol. Im not new to GM trucks just the Duramax's. We actually own a trucking company so I even know a fair amount about diesel motors in general. Never had any personal experience with the Duramax motors other then a couple friends have em.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
do you plan buying lb7,lly,lbz or a lmm.i heard that 06 and newer do have better fuel mileage do to haveing the 6 speed auto tranny.i live in northeast OH.during the cold my fuel mileage drops by an average of 3 to 4 miles a gallon.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I dont know really. Im not sure what years are what or even what the differance is between them. Are there advantages of one to the other? Im not planing on doing any serious mods to it. Just gonna drive it. Whats the best bang for the buck?

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i would definitely stay lly and newer seeing the lb7 was the first engine,not that it makes a big diference.i mention earlier i had a 06 lbz and i like it better then the 05 lly,do to the 06 having the 6 speed auto tranny.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a bone stock 04.5 LLY 2500 CC 4 X 4 short bed............

I'm getting 14.34 MPG hand checked......................:fart

Bought it thinking I would get more mpg til I found this forum.
Can't beat the power though!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
:welcome
03 gmc 2500hd 4x4 ext cab short bed with 110k on it. At 68-70 getting around 17mpg. Around town 13-15mpg. Towing, 25ft enclosed v-nose 7000lb loaded into upstate NY getting 11mpg @ 68mph. I have had on occasion 21 mpg, but that is at 58-60 mpg steady. AFE intake and 4" exhaust. Just got back from snowmobiling in NY. I set the cruise at 68mph with the load and held in fifth the hole way. No downshifts. Tows like a son of a b****. Love it!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a bone stock 04.5 LLY 2500 CC 4 X 4 short bed............

I'm getting 14.34 MPG hand checked......................:fart

Bought it thinking I would get more mpg til I found this forum.
Can't beat the power though!!

What all have you done to your truck? Im not gonna do more then the basics. Ive got drag cars for goin fast lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok, I just picked up my brand spanking new, stock, '07 2500 HD Classic 4x4 crewcab, short bed w/ LBZ up in Kellogg, ID and drove it home to Las Vegas for a total of 1138 miles. I kept fairly accurate hand checked mileage records all the way home.

In a nutshell I got 17 mpg to 18.5 mpg for the first 500 miles or so. The temp was about 40 degrees, very hilly/mountainous interstate driving at about 55-60 mph, about 1700-1800 rpm. For the rest of the 600 odd miles I ran at about 70-75 mph about 2000-2100 rpm. It was a little warmer, 50-60 degrees and a little flatter but not much. I got a range of 16-18 mpg on those tanks.

It should be noted that the computer was consistently about 2 mpg low on its calculations of mpg even completely stock??? This is my first diesel, third GMC and I love this truck.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
just took a 4 hour interstate ride last night and i got 18.2 miles a gallon my average speed was 62 mph and the temp was *30.truck i was driving is a 2500HD crew cab short bed running on 285-75R16 Dayton Timberline MT,single 5" magnaflow exhuast ppe programmer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have an 02 D/A CC/SB programmed with a Hypertech Programmer and the best I got was 26 miles mpg making a run to VA and back. My usual short trips I get between 16-18 mpg. I love my truck. It runs great ,rides comfortable and is capable of teaching a smart Arss or two at the light when they get a little to big for their britches :gearjamin :D :rockin

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got a '02 2500HD 6.6l turbo 4x4 crew cab long box 6 speed standard and I get about 18 mpg in the city or on highway as long as I don't get too excited. I installed the hypertech programmer on the 50 setting because i do tow my boat and rockcrawler from time to time.

I've been thinking of installing a cold air intake and bigger exhaust. Any1 with any good brands?

FYI I believe in ONLY running AMSOIL products in my duramax! I've got 140,000 miles and all is GREAT!:gearjamin

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
I have a 06 2500HD lbz with a 5" exhuast it will drown out most other exhuast,as far as air intake on my 05 dually i run a S&B air intake works great.p.s. on my 05 i have 90,000 miles never been to a shop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just purchased a New 07 Silverado classic 2500HD crew cab. I just put 500 miles on it then pulled my 8500 lb toy hauler 496 miles round trip. I used 59 gallons of fuel. Thats about 8.4 miles to the gallon. Now most of this was flat with one 6% grade 5 miles long. I kept my speed 60 to 65. Hard to keep the speed down on this beast it wants pull. Just under a 1000 miles on this truck will my mileage increase?

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i bought an 06 lbz 2500HD crew,short bed and i noticed after about 8,000 miles fuel mileage jumped from 16 up to mid 17 stock with some city but mostly highway.at 10,000 miles i put a 5" magnaflow turbo back exhaust with a ppe programmer and my best yet is 23.6 all highway,plus i can toast imports,beemers and the mustang GT:fart .this truck is bad for a 19 year old:D

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I've got a '02 2500HD 6.6l turbo 4x4 crew cab long box 6 speed standard and I get about 18 mpg in the city or on highway as long as I don't get too excited. I installed the hypertech programmer on the 50 setting because i do tow my boat and rockcrawler from time to time.

I've been thinking of installing a cold air intake and bigger exhaust. Any1 with any good brands?

FYI I believe in ONLY running AMSOIL products in my duramax! I've got 140,000 miles and all is GREAT
the intake is a waste... we have had several discussions on this! SO save your 300 and go buy a 6 pack :drink and some more fuel that you wont save with a cold-air intake :D OK now exhaust is different... i have a 5" turbo back "off road" (i lost my cat:confused:) from MBRP and i love the kit, it was very easy to install and sounds KILLER! keeps the EGT's down and looks great too.... i have the Pro Series too... if you are into under-carriage "bling" :rof but like TYREBOYZ has 5" magnaflow, which is a great system too... just don't be tight---- get the stainless!!

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
the intake is a waste... we have had several discussions on this! SO save your 300 and go buy a 6 pack :drink and some more fuel that you wont save with a cold-air intake :D OK now exhaust is different... i have a 5" turbo back "off road" (i lost my cat:confused:) from MBRP and i love the kit, it was very easy to install and sounds KILLER! keeps the EGT's down and looks great too.... i have the Pro Series too... if you are into under-carriage "bling" :rof but like TYREBOYZ has 5" magnaflow, which is a great system too... just don't be tight---- get the stainless!!
i agree the after market air intake is a waste on a stock turbo,but on my truck i put a ppe boost controller on it,and had to put an after market air box in it,the magnaflow that i have is not stainless steel if i would do it over i would go with stainless steel.i problily said this before,i love the sound of a 5"exhaust

1 - 20 of 20 Posts