Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to level my truck off and put 35" tires on it, there are lots of people making the keys and not sure who to go with..... also i need the tool for removing the keys. Any idea's???:help

· Premium Member
3,480 Posts
Do you want the truth or do you want a sales pitch on what brand lift key is the best riding and best to level the truck?

SALES PITCH - We can get you the most magical adjuster key on the market, this key will not change the ride, it will gain you lift and it comes with the most important part you are paying the most for, instructions:thumb

TRUTH - Lift keys are just an indexed adjuster key that gains you lift with out adjusting the torsion bar bolt, some lift key companies now even include shorter adjuster bolts, WHY? Because what most don't catch is that they have available adjustment in there factory keys and because the new lift keys give you MORE adjustment the end user most of the time over adjusts and binds up the suspension for rough riding results so to reduce improper install adjustment they include shorter bolts to reduce adjustment availible.....so have you picked up on something from what I said? Lift keys add more adjustment, but then they include shorter adjustment bolts to reduce adjustment.....:rofl RIGHT...

In the end you can buy a leveling kit made up of keys but if you understand what you are working with the instructions are worth more than what you gain out of the product because the instructions explain to you how to adjust while maintaining correct height so you do not over extended the suspension and bind the down travel, so if you want the truth most of the time your truck from the factory will have enough adjustment in the factory keys to adjust within GREEN zone standard of height so you do not need to purchase another key set.

BUT, the 1 thing that will still need to be fixed is the shock length. So purchasing at least shock extenders or a new pair of upgraded shocks (best results) would be where I suggest you spend your money.

The only time we sell lift keys are with some of our Cognito UCA packages that enlarge the suspension travel and some guys need the extra adjustment to gain the full height the Cognito UCA package will provide, but again like said this is not even needed.

This truck in the video below has one of our Cognito leveling packages set to proper height and still using stock torsion bar keys:

Any questions feel free to ask, happy to help:drink

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, so what does the Cognito leveling package actually come with if your useing the stock keys? And what size tires are on the truck in the video?

· Registered
1,265 Posts
nick knows what he is talking about. On my lmm i got my lift just fine with stock keys. Its the affects of cranking up the keys on the suspension you need to worry about. Ball joint angles, cv angles, and the shortness of stock shocks. Cognito UCA fixes problems with ball joint angle and helps keep cv angle safe, while not messing with the bump stops to ruin the ride. Get shock extenders or new longer shocks to make it smoother as well.

· Most Known Unknown
35,612 Posts
i agree, i just got my Cognito UCA's in today and ready to put them on! from my experience running the aftermarket keys is that my steering has alot of play in it and even with a stabilizer it still sucks and is nowhere like the factory feel

Nor-Cal Nick:

in your opinion i will get the factory feel back with the steering once i drop the keys and get the UCA's on? the problem that i have and im kind of curious what you think is that the shop that did the key swap out dont have the factory keys, now i could either go buy them for $30 bucks a piece or would i be safe to measure my current height from fender to the ground which i think was around 43" and just lower the aftermarket keys all the way down and proceed with the UCA install? i did a test and lowered them down a bit (think they were to the max) and it felt great! no sloppy steering

since you know your SH&T what do you think? i also have shock extenders, which i know arent on the truck right now!!!!!!

IMO keys are a joke and just put more stress on everything!! not cool for a $50k+ truck!!

· Registered
547 Posts
I have cognito kit and the bars all the way up. IMO 34" is all you can run with out fender mods I run 33.5 and they rub my mud flaps very little. remember any change in the torsion bars requires a front alignment

Attachments

· Most Known Unknown
35,612 Posts
I have cognito kit and the bars all the way up. IMO 34" is all you can run with out fender mods I run 33.5 and they rub my mud flaps very little. remember any change in the torsion bars requires a front alignment
Did you have to get an alignment kit or cam kit or whatever? the guys doing the alignment suggested that to me because im on the verge of perfect and almost perfect (in their eyes) alignment.

· Registered
3,238 Posts
When yall crank on the torsion bars, how yall measure? Ive heard of guys goin so many turns on the bolt? Im guessin measuring the fenders would be best?

· Registered
3,602 Posts
35" tires with a NBS is gonna require ALOT of work. And remember your CV angles if you use 4x4 at all. I went through a few torn boots because I had it cranked to far and rode like crap. Turned it down, new alignment, Cognito braces, and sleeves and now its so much better riding and I can take it off the beaten path without worries.

· Registered
547 Posts
no you don't need any extra alignment kits. the factory bolts have the adjustable washers needed for the correct alignment, also 35" would be no problem if the fender near the cab was modded. my torsion bars are all the way up and every one that I asked (IMO experts) to look at the front end said that they could not see any problems with axel angle or tie rod angels the way I have them now

· Registered
1,265 Posts
no you don't need any extra alignment kits. the factory bolts have the adjustable washers needed for the correct alignment, also 35" would be no problem if the fender near the cab was modded. my torsion bars are all the way up and every one that I asked (IMO experts) to look at the front end said that they could not see any problems with axel angle or tie rod angels the way I have them now
Can you post pics of ur cv axle angles? Im curious to see urs as all i have seen with 35" tires look harsh. Not saying ur wrong or ur experts are wrong, just wanting to see angle because my truck with 33" tires is not even level and i think mine are borderline harsh.

· Registered
1,265 Posts
yours dont actually look all that bad. I wouldnt go anymore, but better than i have seen in the past of others.

since you called me out , here ya go

Pass Side

Driver Side

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.