Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks-
I have an 06 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab with a 6" Pro Comp lift. I wanted to see if I can get some feedback on what lift you have and if you like it. The Pro Comp seems to ride rough... and am wondering if another one would be better. I also just installed the Ranco 9000XL's w/ in cab controller. I couldnt really tell a difference after adding the Ranchos. I also get a lot of bounce in the front end. Suggestions? Thanks.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
The best way to get a good ride out of your lift is to uncrank the torsions. They are probably cranked to the max by the looks of your truck. The next thing to do is to remove the add a leaf from the rear spring pack and add airbags. That way when you have no load you can let the bags down to 5 psi. That would help it alot. Hope this answers your questions.

·
Registered
855 Posts
On my first 01' HD I had a rancho kit then went to the 6in. Fabtech, on the 05 I have now I also have the fabtech with the dual shock kit. The ride is good however with three shocks per front wheel there is a little too much dampening on really bumpy roads, single shock would be better. Otherwise the kit has been great! Really the major difference between Fabtech/RCD kits and the Procomp is that they use a longer spindle, as opposed to upper control arm drop brackets in the procomp. The only thing with the longer spindle is that it increases the track width slightly, so your front wheels stick out little more. As to your bouncing front end I would say the torsion bars are adjusted up too much, so lowering them a little should cure this. However, i thought it looked like in your picture that you trimmed the front bumper some already so this may not be an option.

·
Registered
855 Posts
A couple good things about the cognito kits is that they use tubular upper control arms with a replaceable ball joint as opposed to the factory pieces which are pressed in requiring you to buy a whole new upper control arm just to get the ball joint, also their pitman and idler arm support kit helps to cut down on the wear associated with these parts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got a 6 inch Fabtech on 35's rides much smoother than stock only had it 2 days though. Much softer on sharp bumps. Just wondered how much your guys mileage changed when you put on the 35 in tires. The DIC is going whacky since i did the lift an 35's.

06 LBZ

·
Registered
855 Posts
I lost about 2mpg give or take both city and highway not too big a deal a programmer will usually make it up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
How is your steering, i had a 01 1/2 ton with a 12" full throttle kit + 3" body lift and it ate up the ball joints and tie rods. I want to get a 6" kit but not sure what one to get. I want to be able to tow and also can you go back to stock once the kit is installed???

·
Registered
68 Posts
also my truck is a 07 classic 2500HD LBZ CC SB 4x4

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone know any good stuff about cognito lifts?
IMHO Cognito lifts are great. I have their 7-9" and love it. My front half shafts are near stock alignment and it comes with the Pitman and Idler arm brace kit. Cognito's are kinda pricey, but I have always said you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My steering is a little heavy to turn, assume its from the wide 35in tires. Other than that it steers fine even lock to lock!

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have heard alot of complaints about crap in the ifs going out with a lift. I was in the market to do a 6" or 8", I don't feeling replacing something in the ifs every couple thousand miles. So decided to do a leveling kit, until I have all the stuff I need to do solid axle swap with a dana 60.

·
Registered
855 Posts
As far as my steering its good, I didn't notice any difference when I went to the Mickey Thompsons which are a little wider. On my previous duramax I had a 4in. Rancho kit turned up to 6in., I put it on the truck at about 15000 miles. By the time it had 55-60000 miles I had to replace both upper ball joints, drivers side wheel bearing, and both the pittman and idler arm. Truck only saw pavement, figure it was both the suspension being cranked up and the crappy stretts where I live. I have 50000 on my current D-max and put the lift on at about 18000 miles and have not had any problems thus far. The cognito's great because if you do happen to blow the balljoints out you dont have to replace the whole A-arm just the ball joint which are only $30 each compared to 80-100$ for a whole new factory A-arm and joint. With hindsight I would probably have gotten the cognito kit but I still love my Fabtech.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How is your steering, i had a 01 1/2 ton with a 12" full throttle kit + 3" body lift and it ate up the ball joints and tie rods. I want to get a 6" kit but not sure what one to get. I want to be able to tow and also can you go back to stock once the kit is installed???
you can always go back to stock as long as you keep all your stock parts.

As for increasing the ride, bilstein shocks would have been a better route than the ranchos, and like said above the torsion bars play a MAJOR role in how the front end rides. The lower they are the smoother the ride, but then that affects if your truck is going to be level or not. Im not sure what is done to the rear of your truck (lift wise) but if you have a lift block and an AAL if you rip those out and throw in a set of lift springs the truck will ride much smoother. On my old truck (96 Z71) i had a fabtech lift in the front with skyjacker softride springs in the rear with the fabtech shocks. rode very good considering i had 37in swapmers. i was pleased with it.

sorry for the long post

·
Registered
855 Posts
Yeah, diddo on that the torsions bars are the key to the whole equation. Crank them up all the way, call a chiroprator. I think the skyjacker kit is completley bolt on with no cutting of the front diff mount.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not to get off topic but I'm trying to decide between a 4 or 6 inch lift but wondering how it would effect using a gooseneck trailer?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Does the cognito lifts widen the front track like rcd, or fabtech? What lift does not widen the front track?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does the cognito lifts widen the front track like rcd, or fabtech? What lift does not widen the front track?
Yes, Cognito does widen the front. The 4-6" lift is 1/2" wider and the 7-9" lift is 1" wider.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts