Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im starting to think Im in need of new injectors, but I am not positive. Basically whenever the truck is on tune 2( mild race tune) and I get on the throttle sometimes it will spit out a puff of white smoke, it just started doing this a week ago, it won't always spit out white smoke, usually its black but sometimes it will be white before it turns into black smoke, either way it has me kind of worried. The truck still runs perfect, there is no smoke at idle or when I turn the truck on, it only happens on tune 2 when Im on the throttle. I got online to try and figure out my problem and it seems like it has to be the injectors?

Also, I was looking to do a lift pump, I think I am going to stay with my stock turbo but I plan on building the trans within the next few months so which lift pump would you guys recommend me? I'm looking for one that can handle 550 - 600hp

Thanks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
alright bud, can someone whos not a clown actually chime in?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
ignore the troll, it is most likely your injectors. as for a lift pump you'll want and air dog 2 i have one and it works great, plus has a 2 micron filter and water seperator, when you change your air dog filters if you don't wanna pay 45$ you can do what i did which was get fleetguard filters for 25$ same thing just cheeper......my truck runs great at the higher rpms with it no loss of rail pressure

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good deal thanks for the input, how often should the filters be changed? and are they supposed to be changed at the same time?

sorry, kind of clue less on the subject

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
its fine dude, i change mine usually round 5000 miles, bout the same as the filter under the hood(which you may want to look into the nicktane cat conversion kit 120 w/filter allows you to run 2 micron cat filter which also costs less than the gm filter(it costs 25$ to be exact) i just ordered mine and it'll be here tomorrow)....they say you don't have to change the water seperator but i do just cause they usually come in pairs and its peace of mind...any vendor on here sells it

·
Registered
813 Posts
Cumminsonurface is just jealous cuz he doesnt have a duramax and is stuck in, well, a cummins.

Any lift pump 150 or 165 should be plenty. Then its a matter of choice at that point. Whether you want the Raptor 150 for the cheap end or Airdog or FASS. IMO I would suggest the ones with the filters either being the Airdog 150gph or Airdog 2 165gph or the FASS 150gph. The AD2 165 is quick disconnect like the factory fittings and will prolly be the most suggested answer.

I wish I knew more about the injectors for you buddy. The lift pump with filters will keep clean fuel going to your injectors. Bump for you for your injectors!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
oh speaking of injectors duratitus on here sells them pretty cheap i think its 1900 after you pay core i think his website is lincolndieselspecialties.com,they aren't bosch remans but i haven't heard anything negative about his products yet.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
word bro thanks, would the Airdog II 240 gph be overkill for the power set up I'm looking at?

I'm thinking the AD II 165 gph would be good for my needs? Im not looking to tear into the motor, I don't even plan on doing head studs

is pushing 550 hp through the stock turbo reliable/ realistic for daily driving? What turbo would you recommened for a reliable 500-600 hp daily driver?

thanks.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
word bro thanks, would the Airdog II 240 gph be overkill for the power set up I'm looking at?

I'm thinking the AD II 165 gph would be good for my needs? Im not looking to tear into the motor, I don't even plan on doing head studs

thanks.
165 is plenty, and i'm right there with ya but there is a diy write up on here on how to do them(the injectors) plus a majority of folks on here have did them too....i'm gonna do them when they get worse/i have money to do so :eek:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The reason im asking these noob questions is because im in AZ at the moment and the truck will be in AK by febuary and I don't really trust any shops up there, especially with a diesel, the one shop thats up there for Dmaxs doesn't mess with EFI live.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
well as long as you are patient and don't rush i don't see a reason why you couldn't do the injectors yourself, do a day to tear it down, another to install , and another to button it up, and if you have enough help and run ahead of time you can button it up early....thats what i wanna do, ideally

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would consider doing it myself, but because of my circumstances, Its not possible.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
ahh, that sucks....i think for gm to do its about 4k or so, which it blows but at least there is a warranty that gm has to honor even if you are in alaska

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
4k, wow... I'm tellin ya, trade that ol pile in for some cummins on ur face....
its shitty, but really thats why most people do it themselves.....i will say that the cummins injectors make me cry because of how easy they are to get to

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I don't know about the stealership, I plan on having underground diesel performance in Las Vegas do it along with the lift pump

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Yeah I don't know about the stealership, I plan on having underground diesel performance in Las Vegas do it along with the lift pump
thats right you're close to them, you may be close to socal diesel too,they do good work, but newly is no slouch either, still gotta think though if you're in alaska and they go while they are still under warranty, how are you gonna pay for it/work it out? i'm all for helping vendors but in your case you gotta think ahead

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats a good point but since I already have mods and I decided to have the dealership do the job, would they cover under warranty with the mods after putting new injectors in? Plus I'm hoping underground offers better prices, so I can do the tranny before I leave lol

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Thats a good point but since I already have mods and I decided to have the dealership do the job, would they cover under warranty with the mods after putting new injectors in? Plus I'm hoping underground offers better prices, so I can do the tranny before I leave lol
true i didn't think about that, they have to be able to prove that your mods caused them fail fwiw, but i didn't think when i spoke.....i'm in your boat kinda, injectors are going but aren't gone, and i am planning on doing my tranny myself in the next few weeks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts