Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Cummins. It’s the engine that brought inline-six architecture, direct injection, the P-pump, and true, industrial-level strength to the ¾-ton truck market. In either 5.9L or 6.7L form, its stroke (4.72-inch, and then 4.88-inch) dwarfs the competition and produces the most usable off-idle torque of any engine in the segment. Higher in the rev range, it’s always been able to hold its own in the horsepower department as well. Not surprisingly, the majority of all aftermarket endeavors are geared toward the ’89-present 5.9L and 6.7L Cummins mills.

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
Are you sure that you are on the right forum?????/

·
Registered
233 Posts
Simplicity, Its been around since 1918 (I believe) The trucks fall apart around motor.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Tractor motor stuffed in a truck. Great for towing but the slow revving luggy motor I find very uninspiring for unloaded daily driving.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Something that may have been overlooked.

The current Duramax engine makes its peak torque at a lower rpm than does the Cummins engine. Duramax [email protected] rpm 445 hp @2800 rpm: Cummins 1000 @1800 rpm. 400 hp @2800 rpm

So much for the 6 making its power at a lower rpm than the V8 Duramax

·
Registered
499 Posts
Something that may have been overlooked.

The current Duramax engine makes its peak torque at a lower rpm than does the Cummins engine. Duramax [email protected] rpm 445 hp @2800 rpm: Cummins 1000 @1800 rpm. 400 hp @2800 rpm

So much for the 6 making its power at a lower rpm than the V8 Duramax

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Cummins makes a a good engine, I work on the older ones. Ford engines are horrible. I drive a duramax for all around power, and the GM suspension. You can put a cummins in any frame. Its my belief its because Dodge sold mass's of these things that they have such a following. I keep waiting for a 6V92 or 8V92 or similar to be put in a Chevrolet. Thought about doing it myself. Worked on many of the old Cummins 292's back in the day as well not a fan.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I like both the duramax and the cummins better than the powerstroke. There are 8-900 hp cummins out there and a couple more even more than that on stock bottom ends, it's an impressive engine!

·
Registered
117 Posts
It's an awesome engine and from what I have heard or read about ford bought Cummins but dodge had a contract with them for their light duty trucks but not the heavy duty ones that's why you can find f450-f650 with the Cummins in them. The downfall they had was wrapping that awesome engine in garbage lol the trannys always sucked and the electric system in the truck sucked as well but the Cummins is a great engine as long as you can get it away from dodge/DaimlerChrysler. I also have read that the transmission behind the 6.7 Asian (sorry if I spelt that wrong) is a beefy drivetrain but I agree with the previous posters the suspension in the dirtymax had me sold the first test drive

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
5.9 B series cummins was a proven motor used in many applications (and many 'calibrations', depending on usage/customer) before they ever convinced dodge to save their brand by stuffing in a diesel.
At that time the engines available (gas and diesel) were far different that what is available today.

We've come a long way from the 160 hp version that initially went into a pickup.

As other posted, to bad it's in a dodge.

·
Registered
331 Posts
That's what I've always liked about a HD Chevy, they drive like a half ton. Is it just me, or does it seem like you constantly have to chase a HD Ford back and forth to keep it out of the ditches? Good solid trucks

As for the Cummins, I'd love to build one, just not in a Dodge. I have a 6.uhoh (just read that on here the other day and loved it) on the stand now out of an F550 but when that's done I've gotta figure out a plan for an old 5.9 Cummins in something.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ford hds turn a little left a little right lol 😝 all the time it keeps u on your toe I guess GM for me all the way to my grave hopefully not to soon

·
Registered
595 Posts
The Cummins. It’s the engine that brought inline-six architecture, direct injection, the P-pump, and true, industrial-level strength to the ¾-ton truck market. In either 5.9L or 6.7L form, its stroke (4.72-inch, and then 4.88-inch) dwarfs the competition and produces the most usable off-idle torque of any engine in the segment. Higher in the rev range, it’s always been able to hold its own in the horsepower department as well. Not surprisingly, the majority of all aftermarket endeavors are geared toward the ’89-present 5.9L and 6.7L Cummins mills.
I like the 5.9 and 6.7 Cummins, but they did not bring inline 6 architecture to the 3/4 ton truck market. Inline 6 motors were in trucks of all kinds long before a Cummins was ever dropped in one.

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
I also have read that the transmission behind the 6.7 Asian (sorry if I spelt that wrong) is a beefy drivetrain ..............
The Aisin is a copy of the Allison 1000, so close a copy Allison sued and won. They have to pay Allison a royalty for every Aisin transmission they produce.

It is a very good transmission.

Reactions: Robbydmax and Bobx2

·
Registered
233 Posts
It's an awesome engine and from what I have heard or read about ford bought Cummins but dodge had a contract with them for their light duty trucks but not the heavy duty ones that's why you can find f450-f650 with the Cummins in them. The downfall they had was wrapping that awesome engine in garbage lol the trannys always sucked and the electric system in the truck sucked as well but the Cummins is a great engine as long as you can get it away from dodge/DaimlerChrysler. I also have read that the transmission behind the 6.7 Asian (sorry if I spelt that wrong) is a beefy drivetrain but I agree with the previous posters the suspension in the dirtymax had me sold the first test drive
My buddy has a 2015 Dog with the Cummins. They put a valve on the trans that doesnt let fluid run through the cooler until it his 215 or 225 degrees....So ATS makes a replacement that lets it flow constantly the OEM one is plastic btw and ATS is aluminum. Just stupid things like this that manufactures do for maintenance costs.. The trucks truly do fall apart around the motors.

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
my last truck was a Cummins had $20,000 in the engine, great engine bad truck they put it in! also leaks like my Harley, best thing was I could change turbo in an hour ore less including lunch!

·
Registered
10,263 Posts
Ford purchased 10% of cummins stock in 1990. In 1997 cummins bought it back. Ford has never owned cummins. This has been a rumor since the beginning of diesel time that you pretty much only hear Ford guys passing along.
The Aisin is a copy of the Allison 1000, so close a copy Allison sued and won. They have to pay Allison a royalty for every Aisin transmission they produce.

It is a very good transmission.
Allison and aisin actually had a joint venture in asia for light n medium duty trucks. I believe that ended in 2008 or 09. Where did you see that allison sued them and that aisin pays a royalty to them? Ive seen someone say that on another forum years ago but no one could ever post evidence of it. I do know when they first came out mike and another transmission builder tore them down and they were indeed similar

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Ford purchased 10% of cummins stock in 1990. In 1997 cummins bought it back. Ford has never owned cummins. This has been a rumor since the beginning of diesel time that you pretty much only hear Ford guys passing along.

Allison and aisin actually had a joint venture in asia for light n medium duty trucks. I believe that ended in 2008 or 09. Where did you see that allison sued them and that aisin pays a royalty to them? Ive seen someone say that on another forum years ago but no one could ever post evidence of it. I do know when they first came out mike and another transmission builder tore them down and they were indeed similar
Here is a link to the lawsuit. Shows the case was dismissed by Allison (with prejudice) but does not disclose the reason for the dismissal. They may have mediated in the background and came to a mutual decision. This could be Aisin paying Allison for patent infringement. But who knows without disclosure of the details behind dismissal of the lawsuit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts