Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to upgrade my factory Bose 6 disc Non-Nav radio to one with a full size screen to use for backup camera and with bluetooth for connecting my phone and retain the steering wheel controls like factory. I don't necessarily need the Navigation since phones do this so well anymore.

What radios are you guys using that can do this?

Thanks

·
Registered
2014 3500HD SRW 4x4
243 Posts
I went with an Alpine double-din ILX-W650 unit.

For steering controls, I got the Axxess ASWC-1.

For backup camera, I wanted to tap into the stock camera on the truck, but given it’s wired into the rear view mirror and harness coming out of the headliner, I opted for a new camera. The Xroos Ip69k off Amazon. Mounted it over the license plate.

The Alpine is a good unit. Integrates to the GM Bose amp perfectly. Backup camera comes on just like it should and does really well at night too.

That Axxess device ain’t so great. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it don’t. I bought another one to make sure it wasn’t just the unit gone bad. Same behavior. One thing I notice for sure on those devices; when you first fire up the truck, hit the Up volume 3 times, then it will typically work. That’s actually part of the setup steps for that device. But it’s like it forgets the setup when the truck is off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Silverado 2500 HD LTZ
30 Posts
Alpine iLX-407 with an iDatalink Maestro RR handling all the communication between the truck and the stereo. It retains ALL factory systems except for factory Nav (not applicable for you, I realize) which is replaced by Android or iPhone navigation if my daughter is driving.

Factory backup camera works on the unit and has much better clarity. All steering wheel audio controls work. I have satellite radio and was able to use the factory antenna (some say you need to stick a second antenna on the roof... don't listen to them).

My phone connects to my iLX-407 via bluetooth and/or USB. To get the android/iPhone nav to display on the stereo screen you need to connect to the USB which you'd want to in order to keep the phone charged.

The key to retaining the steering wheel controls and all other factory features is the iDatalink unit more than the actual stereo. It is what lives between your stereo (whether it's an Alpine, Kenwood or whatever) and your truck's wiring harness. It receives and directs all the communication between your stereo and your vehicles systems.

I've never had a single glitch with my setup and it integrates with the truck so well, you'd think it was OEM.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts