Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is everyone pulling and why?

We're currently using a 39' TT because it was cheaper than a similar model 5er with the same amount of beds. Still weighs 13k lbs or so, and I had to add a $3k ProPride hitch to get it to pull safely, but now that I have it set up the way I like I love pulling it. I think it backs up better than a 5er as well. Prior to this we had a 33' Cougar 5er. That pulled much nicer, but I hated backing it in anywhere.

Our model is a Sierra by Forest River 391QB. It's 10 years old, and I can't complain about how well it's held up at all. It does have a general lack of outdoor storage, so that is one of my future projects. I'd like to figure out better storage options. I'm planning to make the dining table into a booth, so I'll be able to create some more storage under that.

I really like the layout of this camper as well. It just works well for our family.

EDIT: Not trying to turn this into another camper photo thread. Just photos for reference of your rig and what you like/dislike about it.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
What is everyone pulling and why?

We're currently using a 39' TT because it was cheaper than a similar model 5er with the same amount of beds. Still weighs 13k lbs or so, and I had to add a $3k ProPride hitch to get it to pull safely, but now that I have it set up the way I like I love pulling it. I think it backs up better than a 5er as well. Prior to this we had a 33' Cougar 5er. That pulled much nicer, but I hated backing it in anywhere.

Our model is a Sierra by Forest River. It's 10 years old, and I can't complain about how well it's held up at all.
GD Solitude 3950BH. Growing family (we have a one-month-old now, and are planning on having at least a fire team's worth) plus we sometimes have friends and their kids come stay with us when we're camping quasi-locally. Needed a bedroom with a slide so it can be converted into a mobile office during the daytime. Two full baths to accommodate the growing family, although in retrospect I think 1.5 baths is totally adequate.

·
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is one thing I wish we had is another half bath, though I don't know where it could be reasonable put in ours.

·
Registered
608 Posts
36' Grand Design Imagine. Not good towing pics. The only pics i have on my work computer.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
890 Posts
That classic truck looks nice @77cruiser , but the '19 looks even better.
Nice rigs guys. I hope I join the RV crowd in the near future. For now, my truck pulls the boat, and we tent camp. 🤪

·
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That classic truck looks nice @77cruiser , but the '19 looks even better.
Nice rigs guys. I hope I join the RV crowd in the near future. For now, my truck pulls the boat, and we tent camp. 🤪
I really enjoy tent camping, but wife says not a chance. Sleeping on the ground in any form is not on her list of things to do for "vacation".

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
jd, this is the first pic that I remember seeing your truck with the 19.5s. Love the look. Well done sir!

Reactions: jdwarren

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts

Here is our previous camper. 40' 09 Raptor 3602RL. Weighed 15.5k loaded and ready for camping.

The thing that I did not like about the camper was the cheap materials that were put into the interior. Additionally, I would have liked to have more exterior storage space. Other than that, no issues at all beyond the normal camper failure stuff.

The thing that I really liked about it was the onboard generator. Nothing like stopping for fuel, making a cup of coffee and hitting the restroom while never leaving the fuel pumps.

Now on the hunt for a new 5vr.....

·
Registered
80 Posts
36' Grand Design Imagine. Not good towing pics. The only pics i have on my work computer.

What year and which model of imagine? Wife and I are looking to own one. Do you have double bunks? One slide?

Pro and con about this one? Compare to transcend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
jd, this is the first pic that I remember seeing your truck with the 19.5s. Love the look. Well done sir!
Hahaha, didn't you post in this very thread?

They've been great so far. I'm sure a DRW would handle a little bit better but being able to DD the truck in northeastern NJ is pretty valuable to me.

Here's a pic with the truck/trailer connected. Doesn't even squat too bad, which is surprising considering how heavy this thing is. I thought I would need airbags but with the way it sits I doubt I'll bother.

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Hahaha, didn't you post in this very thread?

They've been great so far. I'm sure a DRW would handle a little bit better but being able to DD the truck in northeastern NJ is pretty valuable to me.

Here's a pic with the truck/trailer connected. Doesn't even squat too bad, which is surprising considering how heavy this thing is. I thought I would need airbags but with the way it sits I doubt I'll bother.

Damn bro, you got me on that one.

Old age sucks, especially with CRS. LOL.

Reactions: jdwarren

·
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is our previous camper. 40' 09 Raptor 3602RL. Weighed 15.5k loaded and ready for camping.

The thing that I did not like about the camper was the cheap materials that were put into the interior. Additionally, I would have liked to have more exterior storage space. Other than that, no issues at all beyond the normal camper failure stuff.

The thing that I really liked about it was the onboard generator. Nothing like stopping for fuel, making a cup of coffee and hitting the restroom while never leaving the fuel pumps.

Now on the hunt for a new 5vr.....
Good Lord, Jimmy. That rig is massive. Did you have problems getting into any campsites with it?

Much smaller than most of you. 2021 Forest River RPOD 202 25'
I bet that thing pulls like a dream. What's your favorite aspect of that camper?

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Good Lord, Jimmy. That rig is massive. Did you have problems getting into any campsites with it?
No problems at all. However, I drove semis as a much younger man so no issues.

I did learn early one that when backing, you can scrub the front tires off of the rim in doing a tight off set backing. LOL.

There are some campgrounds that will not allow anything over 35' including most national parks. Just wish that I hadn't sold it.

·
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Most state parks here in Michigan are not big enough for our camper, either. We have had to get selective of where we camp now.

·
Super Moderator
726 Posts
Camping 1.jpg
Camping 3.jpg

This is our boondocking spot 1.5 hours north of Boise at 4850ft elevation. The second picture is taken while standing behind the 5ver on the left. The Outback is our old trailer which we sold in 2019 to purchase the new one...

·
Registered
608 Posts
What year and which model of imagine? Wife and I are looking to own one. Do you have double bunks? One slide?

Pro and con about this one? Compare to transcend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 3150bh 2 slides two bunks. We love it. I drove from SoCal to Denver to purchase it. It has everything we needed. I have a messy Son so we just close the door and nobody knows whats behind the door.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts