Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I will show my age because last time I had to use one of the OBD scan tools it was a small handheld cheap unit that only gave me the codes and allowed me to clear them.

Now I have the 4500 and plan on keeping it for a long while. I have done some research and discovered that maybe since 2015 or so they now use a MDI 1?
GM is now going to a MDI2 for some of the 2020 platforms is my understanding.
Is the OBD2 system no longer on the 15 and up trucks?

I would like to see what members are using for getting the codes, finding out what they are,clearing them and able to look at other systems such as ABS etc. I don't have a need for anything elaborate and don't need to spend over 3-400 bucks.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

On a different subject:
I had the ABS warning light, the red BRAKE light, and the Traction light come on intermittantly when we hit a hard bump and stay on. Next start it might be off, but sometimes it went off during driving. Took it to the dealer after a couple of weeks and they found right front speed sensor causing the problem. They explained it set several codes(nothing on the dash). New sensor installed yesterday and so far fixed. Fingers crossed. Would one of the scanners I am asking about have been able to find this fault?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I guess I will show my age because last time I had to use one of the OBD scan tools it was a small handheld cheap unit that only gave me the codes and allowed me to clear them.

Now I have the 4500 and plan on keeping it for a long while. I have done some research and discovered that maybe since 2015 or so they now use a MDI 1?
GM is now going to a MDI2 for some of the 2020 platforms is my understanding.
Is the OBD2 system no longer on the 15 and up trucks?

I would like to see what members are using for getting the codes, finding out what they are,clearing them and able to look at other systems such as ABS etc. I don't have a need for anything elaborate and don't need to spend over 3-400 bucks.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

On a different subject:
I had the ABS warning light, the red BRAKE light, and the Traction light come on intermittantly when we hit a hard bump and stay on. Next start it might be off, but sometimes it went off during driving. Took it to the dealer after a couple of weeks and they found right front speed sensor causing the problem. They explained it set several codes(nothing on the dash). New sensor installed yesterday and so far fixed. Fingers crossed. Would one of the scanners I am asking about have been able to find this fault?
I use Bluedriver to get/clear codes, and the factory service manual for code interpretation.

As for the ABS / brake / traction control crap, I had something similar happen when I got stuck in ice/snow in South Dakota in December. I was trying to "rock" the truck out and something caused it to freak out and illuminate all those lights (it also disabled the trailer brake controller -- kinda scary). I plugged in my Bluedriver and cleared all codes and it all went back to normal. This happened on at least two occasions; on both occasions, the code clearing command from the Bluedriver made it all go away.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JD. I went to their website. Does quite a lot including code deciphers. This might be what I need. Do you just leave it plugged in all the time?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Thanks JD. I went to their website. Does quite a lot including code deciphers. This might be what I need. Do you just leave it plugged in all the time?
I don't leave mine in all the time because it has a moderately annoying blue light, although I guess you could just put some electrical tape over it. I just keep it in the console for when I need it. It's nice that it is so small and the output is displayed on your phone. And I like being able to generate and email myself (or the dealer) a PDF with all the codes and information. Not bad for $100.

Some of the code descriptions may not be accurate, so having the factory service manual available is helpful for that. If you have the manual but are frustrated by the encryption and inability to view it on a phone, let me know. I may have a "workaround" for that. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts