Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My water temp doesn't get above 165 deg daily driving (Edge tells me this, stock guage says about 170). I got it up to 190 one time towing my buddy's truck. Is this normal? The water pump was replaced last summer right before I bought the truck. The thing that sucks is the Edge J/A programmer doesn't allow full timing and fuel until it warms up to 175 degrees so I'm never getting the full effect unless I'm towing, which is pointless...... do I need a different thermostat?

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
Sounds like one or both of your thermostats is stuck open.

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Nope, thats normal for most Diesels. Mine runs about 180 most days, but my factory gauge says 210. Wait till the weather warms up a bit more.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I'm having the same issue. I only drive 5 miles a day and my engine temp would never go above 165 until u drove 2200 miles to Utah and engine temps were 195. Now that I'm here, back to 165. My bet is the thermostat but I'm in for others options.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL it's already warm. I live in south Florida where the weather has been about 70-80 the last week or so.

There are two thermostats?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I did notice last week it's was 70 and my temps were normal but this week it has been snowing and she still a cold blooded BIOTCH

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Oh I know how hot it is around here. Of all the Duramax's I have driven, used to have a few at work, most of them run 170-180 unloaded. Only towing 20K trailers did the LBZ ever reach 190-200 at most. And that was in the summer heat

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sales tech at EDGE told me to cover my radiator because that's what alot of people do in the winter time. I'm not doing that... lol

I mean 165 was the PEAK temp when I drove about 30 miles the other day. When I stopped at a redlight it dropped about 2 degrees per minute...

This is very very frustrating, luckily its easy to bump up tunes on this tuner, just have to divide then by 2 (40=20hp, 60=30hp, etc). But I wanna try out this level 6 without having to hook up a pull rig to it to warm it up first lol

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Those parameters are there for a reason, you don't want to rail on a diesel when it's cold. Wait for it to warm up to optimal temps, your truck/wallet will thank you. On a side note ditch the edge and get EFI.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts