Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running a single S300 66mm SXE turbo kit on my truck with a 10mm exergy stroker pump. The plan is to compound it later with a S400 charger and 60% over injectors. I am trying to go ahead and do my research to figure out which turbo would best compliment the 66mm in the valley (.91 AR & 73mm wheel). I know that some people do a 75mm, 80mm(seems most common), & 83/84mm, but I'm looking for something that suits my needs as the truck is a daily driver that doesn't tow and want to impress when needed. I understand that most recommend the 1.32 AR for top-end non-towing application & the 1.15 for towing/ quicker spool. My question is based on how i use the truck (daily driver scenarios/ performance) what would be a good set up to run? I don't want a turbo that starts to come to life with higher boost levels as i wouldn't really be gaining anything from daily driving scenarios if that makes sense. Would a 76mm SXE with a 1.32 AR be a good set up offering quick spool and top end power? How about the common 80mm or the bigger 83/84mm with the tighter 1.15 AR housing? I guess my question that i am trying to get answered is how much does the different AR sizes effect these larger turbos in a compound set up & is it possible to have a charger that offers quick spool/ flow at lower boost #'s and still has top end power? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

Yes I know my sig says stock trans that is in the works haha

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I guess while I wait for the crickets to stop chirping i found some info on the competition diesel forum about the SXE line turbos in comparison to the standard S400 and see if anyone can agree on what was said. I found a user that stated:

The S488 SX-E flows as much as a S591 but spools like a S483.
The s480 SX-E flows like a S486 but spools like a S475
The S476 SX-E flows like a S480 and spool like a S472

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
Cody for what you're doing I'd go with what we talked about before. S476sxe with a 1.32 housing so you willl have faster spool up but it won't fall off on the top end.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cody for what you're doing I'd go with what we talked about before. S476sxe with a 1.32 housing so you willl have faster spool up but it won't fall off on the top end.
Knew you'd help a brotha out haha. Ill just text ya to pick your brain

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
I am currently running a single S300 66mm SXE turbo kit on my truck with a 10mm exergy stroker pump. The plan is to compound it later with a S400 charger and 60% over injectors. I am trying to go ahead and do my research to figure out which turbo would best compliment the 66mm in the valley (.91 AR & 73mm wheel). I know that some people do a 75mm, 80mm(seems most common), & 83/84mm, but I'm looking for something that suits my needs as the truck is a daily driver that doesn't tow and want to impress when needed. I understand that most recommend the 1.32 AR for top-end non-towing application & the 1.15 for towing/ quicker spool. My question is based on how i use the truck (daily driver scenarios/ performance) what would be a good set up to run? I don't want a turbo that starts to come to life with higher boost levels as i wouldn't really be gaining anything from daily driving scenarios if that makes sense. Would a 76mm SXE with a 1.32 AR be a good set up offering quick spool and top end power? How about the common 80mm or the bigger 83/84mm with the tighter 1.15 AR housing? I guess my question that i am trying to get answered is how much does the different AR sizes effect these larger turbos in a compound set up & is it possible to have a charger that offers quick spool/ flow at lower boost #'s and still has top end power? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

Yes I know my sig says stock trans that is in the works haha
Hey man, yeah that 476 sxe sounds like that'd be a good all around option for you. I've got a stainless diesel 475 5 blade compounded with my factory charger but I'm wanting to put a fixed vane in the valley and was thinking of the s300 sxe. Curious what you think of your single, spool up ok at 1800 to 2000? And have you talked to anybody about the A/R you have, if it's gonna be ok as far as keeping drive pressure down once you compound it?

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have done some reading up on the 5 blade stainless and they seem to be a pretty good unit. I read a thread where the 5 blade S366 had high praises from Mark at Danville and another guy when they are in restricted classes like pulling and what not. I believe mark said he never drove it on the road but they way it dyno'd it be a pretty sweet unit. I was debating trying it out if the SXE ever shit the bed. As far as the 66 SXE i have now i am pretty impressed with how it spools in relation to stock. It spools slightly slower(i mean ever so slightly) than the stock VGT coming to life around 1800 RPM. Im still on stock injectors and stall converter so once i get some larger injectors to throw at it and a higher stall converter when i do a built trans the thing should spool like a wet dream.

The reason i decided to go the S300 route in the valley is because of the simplicity of it vs a VGT, fixed vane (dont have to worry about the vanes), ease of interchanging, and hella cheaper than VGT drop in charger. From my understanding the back side of the S300 is tighter than the VGT turbo, but as a single the S300 performs better than the VGT, but with the vanes all the way open in a compound set up the VGT out performs the S300. I have talked to a couple people about trying the 1.0 AR to try and get the most out of it, but they recommended staying with the .91 AR because the gain was negligible to sacrifice spool. Drive pressure shouldnt be an issue, but it will prolly be higher than the VGT/S400 set up since the exhaust side of the S300 is tighter. Im going to have to pick some more peoples brains about doing a wastegate, but from what ive seen so far i dont believe that it is needed unless you are running the .83AR and towing heavily at higher horsepower #'s.

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts, confirms what I've been thinking also. I'm definitely wanting to get away from the vgt.

I had a single 468 on my last lml and I loved it all but wouldn't mind have a little better spool up this time around.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man i've gone back and forth on if i want to do a bigger single like a S472 or do compounds. Big singles sound like a blast to drive but you have to deal with some lag and my truck is used for daily driving mostly so im going to stick with the compound route so i can have that quick spool, but can get up and go if needed.

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Yeah I definitely like how my compound setup operates and pulls better than my old single 68 setup.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good to hear I cant wait to start making some moves towards some more power. Getting married in May so I'm prolly going to hold out until after that to see how everything pans out (keyword in that sentence is prolly haha).

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
Not if we keep talking. I'm a terrible influence for mods :rofl
Psst
Hey
Pssttt
Big singles are better ;)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LMAO no kidding. One day its a LML and a S400 & now its 1k+ ponies of a straight 6 haha

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
I'll give you the single off this one when I go even bigger soon

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
Nothing like the hit of a big single. Lag is just a head start for slower shit

Reactions: 1TRIKHD

·
Registered
19,430 Posts

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
Is that your pistons I hear cracking russ?

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
That's my go to with russ he knows it. If I had his truck all 8 would have already cracked 10 times over. Hes got good luck.

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
That's my go to with russ he knows it. If I had his truck all 8 would have already cracked 10 times over. Hes got good luck.
Good thing race season is almost over Nic!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts