Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so the other day my battery light came on at start up. Started driving down the road a bit and it went off. Truck was running fine. Stop at Lowe's go back out and battery again at start up. Gage in the cluster was reading 9 volts. Drive down the road and it goes away. Does this for a couple of days. I replaced the batteries last year so I feel they are not the issue. I have the alternator tested and it comes back as bad. I pull the Alt out. Stamped on it says 105 meaning 105amp, I go to get the replacement and the guy offers me a 105 amp or a 145 amp. I have some off-road lights so I am thinking the extra amps will help when I use them. Get the Alt installed check my belt, check my connections at the alt, all good. I put the negative terminal on one battery and my aftermarket radio comes on........I connect my other negative terminal, start the truck and the Gage jumps to 14/15 volts.

Everything is looking good, then I set the stations in my radio and go to turn up the volume and get nothing, no sound. I shut off the truck and the radio stays on, I open my door and the Radio still stays on. It used to shut off when the door was opened. the only way to get the radio to shut off is pull the battery cables. I tried pulling the radio fuse under the hood and it still stayed on.

I don't get what and where I went wrong. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Radio not turning off sounds like a bad door switch. Common problem on these trucks. Do your dome lights turn on when you open the driver's door?

Not sure about the rest.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would think that same thing but the radio comes on as soon as a negative terminal is connected to a battery, without the key in the ignition. But and I didn't mention this in my first post but my tuner comes on at the same time. With the truck running I am unable to lock the doors. The locks will slide to the locked position but will unlock themselves right away. After doing some googling I am thinking I somehow cooked my BCM (Body Control Module) I also have remote start on it and wondering if that some how could be messed up and allowing power thru even though I didn't ask it to start. Just not sure.........

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just in case anybody ever needs this advise here is what was wrong. My truck has an after market radio in it. I took it to the dealer and they found nothing wrong with the circuits, told me to take it to the place that installed my radio. I took it there and because my truck has Bose speakers in it they have to install some box to make aftermarket head units work with Bose speakers. Well that box blew up some how when re-connecting the batteries which left it in an open state that was in turn cause the radio to stay powered on all the time, which then had other side effects in the truck. replaced that box and all is well again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts