Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
At this point, as much as I dislike the tread pattern on the Michelin’s that I had on the truck last summer (LTX A/Ss) I also know they were the real deal when pulling the camper. Part of me is a little cautious about spending another $1000 to buy a set of tires that don’t tow like the Michelin’s. I hate the thought of having two sets of tires for this truck right now too. Uggh. Decisions!

Thanks for the input so far though and keep it coming! 🍺

·
Super Moderator
761 Posts
ChevyTech77, My tire size is LT285/75R16 and I'm currently running Nitto RidgeGrapplers but they are starting to get noisy and they suck in snow! I'm leaning towards Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires as a replacement since they have the 3MPSF rating...

·
Registered
352 Posts
I would run a set of Blizzaks or something like that. An ACTUAL snow/ice tire. Towing my enclosed sled trailer can get dicey on winter roads so I need the good traction.
The middle of winter is when I said enough on the BFGs. They stink on compact snow & ice. They don’t slide predictably either. Put the LTX M/S on and it and I was good. I had a spare set of wheels waiting for Blizzaks or Nokians but after two winters I am satisfied with the Michelin’s winter performance.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had bfg Ko2’s on my f150 and they didn’t wander at all. 20” wheel with 50 profile. Got really noisy at 40,000 miles and got rid of them with plenty of life left. Went to revo3 on 18” wheel with 70 profile and got some wander. Tires were waaaaay quieter than Bfg but gave up traction in mud which I could live with.

Running a higher profile tire like a 75 may be contributing to your problem. Consider 65 or 70 on your next set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Time to bring the old thread some attention

Reactions: blythkd1

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
I have AT3’s on my new one and had Michelin’s on my Ford. I think if I had to do it over again I’d buy another set of Michelin’s as I feel they have better road manners. I might try running higher pressure since Ryan says he’s running 80psi and I’ve had mine at 60 front and 65 rear.
Just to update this. Today I aired my tires up to 70 front and 75 rear. Pulled around a 15k lb load about 30 miles and it handled much better. I’m still not happy with the amount of squat but the tires did well. I’m satisfied with the Coopers now and turning my attention to finding an airbag setup.

Also these new L5P’s with ten speeds are fucking monsters.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Time to bring the old thread some attention
Looks like mostly talk about how long they last. Really, that part doesn’t concern me. Heard good things about those tires though.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Just to update this. Today I aired my tires up to 70 front and 75 rear. Pulled around a 15k lb load about 30 miles and it handled much better. I’m still not happy with the amount of squat but the tires did well. I’m satisfied with the Coopers now and turning my attention to finding an airbag setup.

Also these new L5P’s with ten speeds are fucking monsters.
Yes. Yes they are.

You put AT3s on your new truck? Which Michelin’s did your Ford have? The AT2’s or M/S2’s?

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
Yes. Yes they are.

You put AT3s on your new truck? Which Michelin’s did your Ford have? The AT2’s or M/S2’s?
Yes I got rid of the stock tires right after I bought it. I went with the Cooper AT3’s in stock size based on the recommendation of several guys on the forum.

The Ford had AT2’s from factory and I never replaced them. Still looked good with 35k when I traded it.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yes I got rid of the stock tires right after I bought it. I went with the Cooper AT3’s in stock size based on the recommendation of several guys on the forum.

The Ford had AT2’s from factory and I never replaced them. Still looked good with 35k when I traded it.
View attachment 1088516
Gotcha. I had the AT/2s on an older half ton that I loved and they have been used on a few factory HD applications over the years. Seeing as how they don’t make the MS/2s that I had last year, the AT/2s are also on my short list.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts

How's the road noise with the AT3s?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Looks like mostly talk about how long they last. Really, that part doesn’t concern me. Heard good things about those tires though.
Although this tire may not be exactly what you're looking for they're basically commercial tire technology at a consumer price. One of the things I really liked about them on a dually was that the solid shoulder wore very well on an IFS truck so the tires didn't need to be rotated nearly as often to avoid the nasty wear pattern that the front end normally sees.

Sounds like you're looking for something with a bit more bite though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I tow daily but it isn’t a heavy load. The OEM Goodyear’s are quiet, good in rain/ snow but don’t track as well as I would like. Less than 4,000 miles so no idea on durability. I know everybody hates them.

I’m considering replacing with Fallen Wildpeak at3 or Cooper Discoverer at3’s. I want good road manners ( QUIET, track well, good in wet and snow) with sufficient tread to avoid getting stuck is the greasy mud we get here in TX.

Will tow a 10-12k TT a couple times a year but more focused on the daily driving duties mentioned above. Not looking to get high mileage, 40-50k mile life is fine by me.

Reading others comments, both of these seem to have good reports.

Anybody have experience with both of these options that can compare and contrast? Especially noise levels?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Although this tire may not be exactly what you're looking for they're basically commercial tire technology at a consumer price. One of the things I really liked about them on a dually was that the solid shoulder wore very well on an IFS truck so the tires didn't need to be rotated nearly as often to avoid the nasty wear pattern that the front end normally sees.

Sounds like you're looking for something with a bit more bite though.
They definitely look enticing as far as towing manners but that’s not my only consideration for sure. 👍

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
A lot of traction issue with these trucks can be overcome by weighting down the rear. Empty your pushing a 4000 pound front end with a 2500 pound rear.

·
Super Moderator
761 Posts
Pretty quiet. I've never noticed much noise from them at all. Mine are the same size as stock which I'm sure helps cut down on it.
Did they have a white outlined letters on the sidewall mounted to the inside? I didn't see an option on Cooper's website for only black sidewalls and I hate having white lettering mounted to the inside of the rim...

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
Did they have a white outlined letters on the sidewall mounted to the inside? I didn't see an option on Cooper's website for only black sidewalls and I hate having white lettering mounted to the inside of the rim...
Yes I had them mount the white lettering on the inside. I wasn't crazy about it either but the guy at Discount said that was the only way they come.

·
Registered
35 Posts
So when I bought my truck, it had some 60K mile old Michelin LTX A/S tires in the factory 245/75R16 Load E on it. Last fall, I swapped those out for brand new 265/75R16 Load E BFG A/T KO2s.

I pulled my 4500 lb enclosed snowmobile trailer around a few times this winter without issue. That trailer is 25’ long and usually runs right around 600-650 lbs of tongue weight. I don’t use any WD or sway control on it.

Fast forward to Memorial Day weekend and the first real haul of the wife’s 7,000 lb 30’ travel trailer. Running about 900-950 lbs tongue weight with the same Reese Dual Cam WD and sway control that I’ve had on all of our travel trailers including this one last summer.

The truck walked around on the tires something fierce. A lot like the past three half ton trucks that I’ve pulled our travel trailers with. Not confidence inspiring AT ALL. In a 10-15 mph wind it was everything I could do at times to keep everything on the road. Trailer wasn’t swaying, the truck just felt “mushy” Tires were inflated up to 80 psi cold, as well. I couldn’t even run the Michelin’s that high because it would ride so rough that it would beat your teeth out. I usually ran those down around 70 psi cold, when towing

No changes to the trailer load out.

Truck got new tie rods, idler and pitman this spring and wheel alignment back to where it was last summer.

No other changes to the truck other than tires.

In my over 25 years experience wrenching, I’ve never personally had to fix this sort of thing. All I have is big box tire stores around me so I don’t really trust any of the advice that I get from them (long stories to tell on that deal) so I’m looking to see what the haulers of the DF can share with me. I would go back to the Michelin’s but I need a beefier/more aggressive tread than that for my winter “excursions” that I sometimes get myself into. At this point I would also just like to keep the stock wheels and suspension on the truck as well. I’m probably missing something so if I am, ask away. Otherwise, let’s here what you’re running and your experiences.
Don't blame the tire manufacturer. You bought a tire not designed for your truck, wheel width and suspension.The tire is too tall for the stock rims! ( Made 5he same mistake🤕. my problem is I have an 07 LT and would cost a lot to find a wider rim for my 16s. But I did buy 10ply Bridgestones that somewhat equalize the issue. Originally just wanted the look of filling up the wheel well but ended up screwing up mileage, performance and handling. The factory really does know what's best.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Been running Michelins on mine since the factory junk tires wore out (completely bald) at 28,000 miles. I've towed 10k+ lbs loads thousands and thousands of miles. Even towed 13k lbs load over 1,000 miles. Never experienced what you have with the BFG. The Michelins are good for about 60k miles and at 422k miles, I've been thru a few sets of them.
Would love to know how you're repeatedly getting 60k out of your Michelins as they are by far my first choice. I put on a set of Michelins like every other vehicle I've had and they were great. Rotated every 5K, always properly inflated and aligned. Wore all four down perfectly to the wear indicators in a little over 35k. To the OP- like others said, I'd ditch the BFGs. When I bought my '06 CCab (2nd owner) it had four virtually new BFGs on it and they were dreadful even not pulling my 20' enclosed car trailer, squishy and unpredictable even trying various different pressures. And BTW to others- also suggest staying away from Goodyear Wranglers w/ Kevlar, was supposed to be the "top of the GY line" according to the tire shop I went to. Bought four of them to replace a set of worn out Bridgstones and they were fine for about 20k. After that wet weather traction went away and they were downright dangerous to drive, even had the back end cut loose in wet weather a few times just moderately accelerating to merge on to the interstate, no fun in the rain. Gave them away with about 60% tread left. Currently back to running Bridgestones and they're ok but really want to go back to Michelin..............

21 - 40 of 64 Posts