Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2004.5 duramax Lly. 6in zone lift full ,fox 2.0 setup, upgrade hydroboost, full delete,
9 Posts
Well I have a 2004.5 6in lift running 37-12.50 brand name radars mt. On set of 22x12 fuel wheels I put them on at 290k I am at 340k with just over Harld tread life left. Perfect for highway. Excellent in mud. And snow. Took black beauty to Colorado for Xmas with 30k miles on them tires and would grab all day long in 12in of snow. On high way she has not sway. I pulled my 1998 nomad pos trailer. Tongue weight about 800-900. (She is old made the old way) no sway bars just a bumper pull from fort worth to Lubbock in 10-20 mph winds and heavy and light rain. If I was not texting it was straight as an arrow but when I Was texting then I was swaying.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So when I bought my truck, it had some 60K mile old Michelin LTX A/S tires in the factory 245/75R16 Load E on it. Last fall, I swapped those out for brand new 265/75R16 Load E BFG A/T KO2s.

I pulled my 4500 lb enclosed snowmobile trailer around a few times this winter without issue. That trailer is 25’ long and usually runs right around 600-650 lbs of tongue weight. I don’t use any WD or sway control on it.

Fast forward to Memorial Day weekend and the first real haul of the wife’s 7,000 lb 30’ travel trailer. Running about 900-950 lbs tongue weight with the same Reese Dual Cam WD and sway control that I’ve had on all of our travel trailers including this one last summer.

The truck walked around on the tires something fierce. A lot like the past three half ton trucks that I’ve pulled our travel trailers with. Not confidence inspiring AT ALL. In a 10-15 mph wind it was everything I could do at times to keep everything on the road. Trailer wasn’t swaying, the truck just felt “mushy” Tires were inflated up to 80 psi cold, as well. I couldn’t even run the Michelin’s that high because it would ride so rough that it would beat your teeth out. I usually ran those down around 70 psi cold, when towing

No changes to the trailer load out.

Truck got new tie rods, idler and pitman this spring and wheel alignment back to where it was last summer.

No other changes to the truck other than tires.

In my over 25 years experience wrenching, I’ve never personally had to fix this sort of thing. All I have is big box tire stores around me so I don’t really trust any of the advice that I get from them (long stories to tell on that deal) so I’m looking to see what the haulers of the DF can share with me. I would go back to the Michelin’s but I need a beefier/more aggressive tread than that for my winter “excursions” that I sometimes get myself into. At this point I would also just like to keep the stock wheels and suspension on the truck as well. I’m probably missing something so if I am, ask away. Otherwise, let’s here what you’re running and your experiences.
I put a set of BFG on my 2017…. great tires, would purchase again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Love my 20" Michelin LTX AT/2s. On third set. Never got less than 60K out of them. Always towed great as well. Definite highway/local tire. Probably not as good as some more aggressive tread tires in the mud and snow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Been running Michelins on mine since the factory junk tires wore out (completely bald) at 28,000 miles. I've towed 10k+ lbs loads thousands and thousands of miles. Even towed 13k lbs load over 1,000 miles. Never experienced what you have with the BFG. The Michelins are good for about 60k miles and at 422k miles, I've been thru a few sets of them.
I know this doesn’t have anything to do with the questions of tires but how has your Duramax done on injectors and what do you mix with fuel to keep them clean. Thanks I have a 2001 2500hd with 234671 miles on it. Treat it like a baby.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I run Falken WILDPEAK A/T3W and have scaled 29,000lb + on several occations hauling sand in the dump trail. Aired to 80 PSI, they are solid performers. Currently, I am at 40,000 miles on them and will buy another set before next winter. Speaking of winter, they do awesome in the snow.

WC

Reactions: dbpowr and McSpeed

·
Registered
555 Posts
I towed professionally cross country for several years, everything from toy haulers to big park models. The only tire that worked for me on my '07 LBZ 2500HD was the 265/75/16E Michelin LTX MS2 on factory alloys. I got 94,000 on the first set and 92,000 on the second set. The truck came with Bridgestone Revos and I could not wait to get them off. The trick is to constantly monitor your air pressure, 80psi loaded, 70psi empty. Other haulers would buy a cheaper tire but they never got the mileage or handling. The ones that switched to the Michelins reported that they were getting close to the mileages that I had mentioned with better control. I always ran air bags (Airlift) but seldom used a WDH, only when the company mandated and I never had any control issues, even in 20mph winds, company limit was 25mph. Most of the professional haulers will run a premium tire, better reliability with less down time and a better quality ride with improved.
control.
I'm sure that there are a lot of guys on here running something other than Michelins and they probably work O.K. for them but from someone who hauled professionally, the Michelin LTX MS2 is hard to beat I tried the AT on my '03 Duramax towing one time and was not happy with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Been running Michelins on mine since the factory junk tires wore out (completely bald) at 28,000 miles. I've towed 10k+ lbs loads thousands and thousands of miles. Even towed 13k lbs load over 1,000 miles. Never experienced what you have with the BFG. The Michelins are good for about 60k miles and at 422k miles, I've been thru a few sets of them.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Nick, I just installed the coopers at3. 285-75-16. I set the pressure at 65 rear and 60 in the front. I hated the feeling. It rolled around a lot. I then put 70 in rears. It helped but still felt soft. I think these tires like air pressure. Going to Charleston in a month. More to follow.

·
Registered
2018 GMC 3500HD Denali CrewCab 8ft bed
1 Posts
Instead of tires its is more than likely the weight. A weight distribution hitch will make a big difference and probably not need a sway control bar. I have managed a fleet of 3/4 - 1 ton trucks that all pull large trailers and have never had a problem when the use a weight distribution hitch. Without, they have control problems

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
There is a fellow on another forum, heymccall, who is a maintenance foreman for a construction company that has many Chevy (and other) diesel trucks. The company is located in Pennsylvania where they get lots of snow and cold temps, plenty of rain, and hot summers, lots of mountain roads, and lots of company drivers who don't take it easy on the trucks and tires. He has recommended Hankook I-Pike RW11 tires. They are winter tires, but I have used them for several years driving or pulling my 5th wheel all over the western USA mostly in the summer. I have a 2nd home in Phoenix so they see plenty of very hot weather. I like them, they are worth your consideration.

i*pike RW11 | Light Truck Tires | Hankook USA

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I know this doesn’t have anything to do with the questions of tires but how has your Duramax done on injectors and what do you mix with fuel to keep them clean. Thanks I have a 2001 2500hd with 234671 miles on it. Treat it like a baby.
My truck eats a set of injectors every ~80k miles. First set filled the oil pan with diesel while running down the interstate and just about like clockwork, every 80k miles since then I get white smoke, or diesel in the oil or both. Mostly white smoke. GM did the first 2 sets but I've done the other sets.

I've read just about every theory out there about LB7 injectors and I've tried just about all of the "cures", including the lift pump. Nothing made a damn bit of difference - still every 80k miles. I'm convinced that A) it has a lot to do with the fuel in the area you live and how much crap is in it from the refinery and B) Filters, pumps, additives (which I've also tried) and all that other crap doesn't do a damn thing except give you something else to spend your money on. As I said, I've tried it all and yet EVERY 80k miles I'm installing a set of injectors. The real problem here is the original VOC design injector nozzle design. It is just too susceptible to wear.

I got about 20k miles left on this set and then I will be installing a set of SAC00 injectors. I think that is probably the only real "fix" out there. Of course I'll probably never know because I doubt that I'll put another 80k miles on this truck before I replace it. Never kept a truck 19 years before. Hell, I never kept a house that long LOL. I've been working from home for about 2.5 years now and dropped from ~25k miles per year to 7k last year and 10k the year before.

Anyway, back to tires....

·
Registered
15 Posts
So when I bought my truck, it had some 60K mile old Michelin LTX A/S tires in the factory 245/75R16 Load E on it. Last fall, I swapped those out for brand new 265/75R16 Load E BFG A/T KO2s.

I pulled my 4500 lb enclosed snowmobile trailer around a few times this winter without issue. That trailer is 25’ long and usually runs right around 600-650 lbs of tongue weight. I don’t use any WD or sway control on it.

Fast forward to Memorial Day weekend and the first real haul of the wife’s 7,000 lb 30’ travel trailer. Running about 900-950 lbs tongue weight with the same Reese Dual Cam WD and sway control that I’ve had on all of our travel trailers including this one last summer.

The truck walked around on the tires something fierce. A lot like the past three half ton trucks that I’ve pulled our travel trailers with. Not confidence inspiring AT ALL. In a 10-15 mph wind it was everything I could do at times to keep everything on the road. Trailer wasn’t swaying, the truck just felt “mushy” Tires were inflated up to 80 psi cold, as well. I couldn’t even run the Michelin’s that high because it would ride so rough that it would beat your teeth out. I usually ran those down around 70 psi cold, when towing

No changes to the trailer load out.

Truck got new tie rods, idler and pitman this spring and wheel alignment back to where it was last summer.

No other changes to the truck other than tires.

In my over 25 years experience wrenching, I’ve never personally had to fix this sort of thing. All I have is big box tire stores around me so I don’t really trust any of the advice that I get from them (long stories to tell on that deal) so I’m looking to see what the haulers of the DF can share with me. I would go back to the Michelin’s but I need a beefier/more aggressive tread than that for my winter “excursions” that I sometimes get myself into. At this point I would also just like to keep the stock wheels and suspension on the truck as well. I’m probably missing something so if I am, ask away. Otherwise, let’s here what you’re running and your experiences.
Im running some Goodyears but I haul a dozer my GW is 23400 give or take a few hundred pounds, if not pull the trailer yeah those 265s it did seem like it was walking all over the road, but with trailer and dozer on rock solid, getting about 9mpg so not bad

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Instead of tires its is more than likely the weight. A weight distribution hitch will make a big difference and probably not need a sway control bar. I have managed a fleet of 3/4 - 1 ton trucks that all pull large trailers and have never had a problem when the use a weight distribution hitch. Without, they have control problems
I run a Reese Dual Cam WD hitch that has integrated sway control. I have tried a few different adjustments with no change. Used the same hitch, same settings and different tires last year, no issues pulling the camper last summer. That’s why I’m down to tires.

Reactions: blythkd1

·
Registered
2015 Sierra 2500 CC
39 Posts
A lot of input, here’s my brief input. 2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD 275/70R18 tires. Hauling 39’ 5W toy hauler, 12,500 dry.

I’ve used Michelin LTX M/S2, Copper AT3.
I was not impressed with Michelin (winter/off road/or hauling. Cooper AT3 were good all around. Rode nice, had some sway under heavy load.

The best I’ve had so far is Mastercraft AXT2. They have a lower rating for mileage (55k) however, I’ve yet to have a set last long hauling. The most quiet of the three, excellent wet/dry traction, less sway under load.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I pull a 42" toy hauler 13,900 dry weight running 275 65 20 E, bridgestone revo's. They handle the load well with no sway, but it seems they are getting worn very fast on the rear tires. I was thinking of going with a Nitto highway grappler, or a Michelin LTX for next set. Undecided.

·
Super Moderator
761 Posts
I had a Nitto DuraGrappler delaminate and had a catastrophic blowout while pulling our TT at 70 mph. On the bright side, Nitto's insurance paid the $6k insurance claim...

·
Registered
146 Posts
In my experience you're going to get that squishy feeling with just about any A/T. They'll be pretty decent for a little offroad and nasty conditions but to get that good highway handling you're looking for when towing a load, you won't beat a good H/T. I've ran Bridgestone R500HD for towing and couldn't love them much more. Many guys around me were running Michelins but I got better treadwear and spent considerably less. I had good luck getting around in some pretty good snow with them in 4wd when the tires were in the first half of the treadwear. After the tread was worn down to about half they got a little slick to get much traction, but that was after about 100k miles so it didn't really break my heart. I'm talking about a dually but a few years ago I ran the same tire on a SRW 3500 and really liked them on it too.

I don't know how long I can take the Goodyear A/T's on the new ride. The squishy feel I can deal with for a while but they're certainly some rock throwing bastards. I don't know how long I'm going to put up with that.
Agreed. Pulling heavier trailers with AT’s will give you that squishy feeling in the curves or in big wind. The Toyo AT3’s that I’m running are a little squishy but not bad. Still not as stable as a set of HT’s. I’ve tried Ridge Grapplers and Toyo RT’s and those were pretty stable towing but they sucked in the snow. Falken Wildpeaks we’re probably best all around (snow traction, wear and pretty solid towing). If you want to run AT’s, you’ll get used to the squish after a while. They also seem to firm up as they wear down. Slowing down just a bit helps too.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Thumbs down on the Nittos here too. I had a set their highway tires, Duragrapplers I think. Since I'd just bought the truck I was trying to save a few bucks until I was sure I would keep it. Couldn't wait for them to wear out so I could buy a better set of tires. In fact, I didn't wait, I took them off with some tread left. Poor wet traction, poor treadwear, not much good to say. I won't skimp on tires again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nick, have you thought about a separate winter tire and run something more geared toward highway for summer?

Personally like my Cooper AT3s and my camper is heavier than yours. Running them at 80psi as well.
I use those same cooper tires also. I love them on my ‘07 GMC Sierra 2500HD DURAMAX !!

·
Registered
41 Posts
ChevyTech77, My tire size is LT285/75R16 and I'm currently running Nitto RidgeGrapplers but they are starting to get noisy and they suck in snow! I'm leaning towards Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires as a replacement since they have the 3MPSF rating...
Do it they are fantastic! I have them on my truck and I’ve sold them to at least 30 customers. Great feedback from all Of them so far.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts