Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Ok so an update on my situation here.

Last weekend I hauled approx. 2500 lbs about 875 miles round trip. I left my tire pressures at 60 psi square, like I do when the truck is unloaded. The trip out, it felt bad. Obviously not as bad as it did with my camper on it, but still not what you’d expect from a 3/4 tub truck pulling such little weight. On the way home though, it seemed better.

So, I just got a chance to hook the camper back up and go for a run down the expressway and back. On the way out tonight, rear tire pressures were set at 80 psi cold. Still felt “squishy” but maybe slightly better than the last time I pulled the camper. At the 15 mile mark, I spun the rig around. I stopped and checked the rear tire pressures, they were at 85 psi. Thought, “What the H.” and lowered them to 75 psi. Ran the 15 miles back home. Felt a little better. I wouldn’t want to lower them anymore though, I think. Winds tonight were a little lighter than the last time I pulled the camper as well.

I know my front wheel alignment is still not exactly what I would like so I’m going to see about getting that better too.

We have a 400 mile round trip drive to camp this coming Sunday through next Wednesday so I might just wing it for this trip and see if the tires change anymore. It’s all expressway, which isn’t ideal if it’s not comfortable but I can always peel off some speed and just take my time too.

Of note, I did check my receipt from when I bought the tires. They were installed on 10/19/20 at just a tick over 211,000. Truck now has just a tick over 217,000 on it. If there was a “break in period” for these tires (which in 25+ years of automotive service I have never heard of), I guess maybe I’m getting there now? Looks like I’m going to find out soon enough.

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
Now check the psi next morning it will be 60 psi 🤣

Reactions: Tim2542

·
Registered
212 Posts
Tire psi will always go up when driving and the rubber warms up, between 10-15% is typical. You don't need to lower pressures because the 80psi tires hit 85psi when hot. I mean, unless you actually need to based on the actual weight the axle is carrying.

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I lowered the pressure to simply try a lower pressure, that’s all. I fully understand that they will increase and decrease with temperature.

Reactions: scottydl

·
Registered
2015 Sierra 2500 CC
46 Posts
I had a Nitto DuraGrappler delaminate and had a catastrophic blowout while pulling our TT at 70 mph. On the bright side, Nitto's insurance paid the $6k insurance claim...

View attachment 1088565
Geez brother!! Glad to hear you were able to post about it. Good to hear that Nitto covered the claim too.

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Pulled the camper 200 miles north today. Was able to run 65-70 with one hand on the wheel pretty much the entire way. Very little wind though. They still feel a little spongy but for now I think I can deal with it.

Reactions: Melonhead1102

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Update:

Took the truck in for a vibration that it’s had since these tires were installed, last week. The vibration really got bad over the past 2000ish miles. I was just bypassing it and trying to get them to haul the trailer good. Tire shop found one bad rear tire so they replaced it under warranty. Vibration is about 50% better. Between the vibrations and the towing issues, I’m still on the fence about keeping these things. Again, I really don’t want a “street” treaded tire but the new Michelin Agilis cross climate are coming highly suggested by some local company truck owner/drivers. Such a toss up. Hate spending this much money and not being happy. This truck has to go off the plowed road in the winter too and I don’t want it getting stuck. Really dont want two sets of wheels/tires for it either.

Reactions: Melonhead1102

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
FWIW, I've rarely ever regretted spending extra money on something premium but I have regretted trying to save money several times. I know that sounds pretty simple and cliche' but we as a group of managers used to say that in the mfg plant where I worked for several years too. We usually never regretted doing things right.

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
Street tire and tire chains 😃

Reactions: 1TRIKHD

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Still at it with this issue. Was coming home from a short distance camping trip last weekend and had to make a sudden lane change on the expressway (was down to 60 mph when this happened thankfully) and almost lost the whole rig. I have a close friend that is a 25+ year RV/Trailer tech coming to the house next week to have me work on his old Jeep so while he is here, I am going to have him go over my entire hitch setup to make sure I have it all correct and I want him to drive the truck with the trailer attached to see what he thinks. With winter coming, only a couple of close to home camping trips, and my money already wasted on these BFGs, I will most likely just run them through the winter and go back to a Michelin in the spring, back down to the factory size, before getting back to camping again.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Your tires almost caused you to wipe out? Was it wet or something? Or just good dry pavement?

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Your tires almost caused you to wipe out? Was it wet or something? Or just good dry pavement?
Dry pavement. I have been fighting a handling issue while towing our camper since installing these tires last fall. I’ve been trying to document it all in this thread just to share ideas and gain insight as to what had worked for others and for a conclusion once I can get mine to handle like it should/better.

Reactions: smorton

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you have...

-A quality LT (Light Truck) tire
-From a reputable manufacturer
-That is properly inflated for the load

...It doesn't seem like you should be having any major handling problems as you've described. Are those three factors all in place?

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I have been running 285/75/16 and pulled are bumper pull TT 9500# 950 ball weight. with Equalizer hitch no issues in high wind and never felt uncomfortable. now I use the same tires pulling the 5th wheel 3500 pin

·
Registered
71 Posts
The real Equalizer hitch is a good thing. I have seen many other hitches but I will only run the real deal. It makes a significant difference in my opinion.

I have 10,000 miles on my BFG K02s now with no complaints. Trip before last we had to do an emergency stop. No handling issues. They controlled the stop well. Not sure what is up with ChevyTech77s rig. Hopefully your friend can figure it out. I do also like Michelin tires as well.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Checked with my hauler buddies that are still delivering RV's and they say the Agilis is not giving the mileage that the LTX MS2 is delivering. The Defender is the replacement for the MS2 but they aren't giving the mileage while towing that the MS2 does. One of the guys is running the Armstrong HT and says it is very close to the Michelin , nowhere near as expensive but hard to find, 65K tire vs 70K for the MS2. Michelin still makes the MS2, they just don't advertise it.
As for 245/75/16 stock size, you will get better handling and greater hitch weight with the 265/75/16. I have run both, just my opinion from all the hauling that I did, would never return to a 245.

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Checked with my hauler buddies that are still delivering RV's and they say the Agilis is not giving the mileage that the LTX MS2 is delivering. The Defender is the replacement for the MS2 but they aren't giving the mileage while towing that the MS2 does. One of the guys is running the Armstrong HT and says it is very close to the Michelin , nowhere near as expensive but hard to find, 65K tire vs 70K for the MS2. Michelin still makes the MS2, they just don't advertise it.
As for 245/75/16 stock size, you will get better handling and greater hitch weight with the 265/75/16. I have run both, just my opinion from all the hauling that I did, would never return to a 245.
Yeah you can find some MS2s. I’m not real concerned about tire life, I just want the sure footednsss that the MS2s had when towing.

As far as going back down to 245s, I kind of feel that all of the sidewall, and having them blown up on the factory 6.5” wide wheels, is working against me a bit and not helping my particular situation. Plus, I’ve noticed a sizable decrease in my MPG and even a touch more heat in my trans fluid, just from the tire change. I keep an eagle eye on a lot more things that most will though.

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
The real Equalizer hitch is a good thing. I have seen many other hitches but I will only run the real deal. It makes a significant difference in my opinion.

I have 10,000 miles on my BFG K02s now with no complaints. Trip before last we had to do an emergency stop. No handling issues. They controlled the stop well. Not sure what is up with ChevyTech77s rig. Hopefully your friend can figure it out. I do also like Michelin tires as well.
I am using the same Reese Dual Cam system that I have used on all three of our travel trailers. It worked fine last summer. Only major change was the tires on the truck. I’m going to have everything in the hitch system checked out anyway, to make sure I’m not missing anything.

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
If you have...

-A quality LT (Light Truck) tire
-From a reputable manufacturer
-That is properly inflated for the load

...It doesn't seem like you should be having any major handling problems as you've described. Are those three factors all in place?
BFG LT265/75R16 load range E All Terrain KO2s. I have tried every tire pressure from 65 to 80 psi.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Dry pavement. I have been fighting a handling issue while towing our camper since installing these tires last fall. I’ve been trying to document it all in this thread just to share ideas and gain insight as to what had worked for others and for a conclusion once I can get mine to handle like it should/better.
Did you feel kinda like you were on slippery, icy roads? That’s the feeling I got with the BFGs on bare, dry summer highway. Tread squirm. Not a good feeling

61 - 80 of 88 Posts