Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at a crossroads. I've been thinking about buying a 2009 2500HD with the 6.6L Duramax diesel. The dealer I'm working with has a 2009 2500HD Crew Cab 6.6L SLE that stickers for $50.1K. With all rebates and incentives I can buy the truck for $38.9K. I have a 2007 Chevy Avalanche (currently 53K miles) that I purchased used last year for 26K. The real issue I have with the Avalanche is the lack of power with the 5.3L when pulling my camper. So, I left the dealer this past Saturday with them giving me 24K on a trade-in for the Avalanche and the price of the 09 for $38.9K. I really wanted 25K for my trade-in because I really wasn't 100% convinced about buying the 09 GMC 2500HD. Well this morning the dealer called and met my offer of 25K trade-in and $38.9K for the 09 GMC 2500HD. The Avalanche is the LTZ with EVERY option available from GM and the 09 GMC has basic options. What do you think? Never owned a diesel before but my dad owns a trucking company that has 14 diesel trucks. For the most part, a 2500 is way over kill for my needs but when I do need it I'll have all the power I need. Do I put up with the 5.3L or love life with the 6.6L Duramax?

·
Registered
994 Posts
From my standpoint you cant go wrong with the D-Max. But, I really have no idea what your avalanche is worth. You should get alot better fuel mileage while towing your camper with the D-max, and it will just handle it alot better (stopping, suspension, etc)
Just my 2 cents worth

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think I have an issue with the trade-in value they're giving me on the Avalanche. I paid 26K for it 14 months ago. I think losing 1K over 14 months is pretty good. I just don't know if spending 14K (diff between trade-in and new truck) to buy the new truck is money well spent. I think the price seems great but will I get 14K value out of the new truck. Most of my driving will be to work. No real effort there. However, I will need the extra power around 12 times a year. That's were the duramax will shine. The dealership is pushing me to sign today because it's the last day of the rebates/incentives. Although, I don't see GM reducing the rebates too badly tomorrow. In fact, they maybe better tomorrow or maybe not. Who knows until it happens. I just don't like them putting pressure on me. In fact, it's a major turn off.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Your main issue, as I understand, with the '09 is the LMM has the diesel particulate filter (DPF). The regen cycle that must run every 100 miles or so uses a ton of fuel. As soon as the warranty is up, I would run (not walk) to get that thing gone. Of course, when you do, you will have to get some sort of programmer that will delete the DPF so it will not give codes for the regen cycle. All in all, that's a great deal. It only cost you about $100 a month to own the Avalanche so far. You will love the DM, especially after the DPF is a thing of history. I'd rather have the DM and overkill than the Avalanche and underkill, wouldn't you?

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts