Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess it's not a new engine, but it seems like one to me. I am in the process of pulling my LB7 out of my '03 and will be putting an '05 LLY with low miles in. While I have the LLY on the trailer I'd like to do any mods I can since it us easier to access. After buying the engine, I don't have a large budget but could spend around $1000 or so. So far I've thought of the basics such as EGR Blocker, PCV re-route, and possibly a lift pump. Are there other things out there that I should do to help with towing as well as fuel economy. I'm not building the transmission, so I don't want to go overboard on power. I have also thought about having someone tune it with EFI, or is there a better option out there?

Thanks for any help.

-Brandon

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Turbo direct downpipe.

At the same time, just wondering if you are aware it will take some extra steps to put a LLY in a LB7.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
how many miles does it have on it? I might look into replacing the head gaskets and adding some arp studs since its already out and very easily accessed.

All of the stuff you mentioned would be good, but are easily done with the motor in the chassis. An egr delete would be easier out of chassis just due to the up-pipes accessibility.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Turbo mouthpiece

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turbo direct downpipe.

At the same time, just wondering if you are aware it will take some extra steps to put a LLY in a LB7.
Would you please explain what extra steps may be necessary? I've posted here and several other forums and have been told that the LLY should go right in my truck since it's an '03. I was told that in '03 the electronics were changed and that they are the same for the '05.

The engine I have still has everything attached to it including transmission, front differential, alternator, fan, turbo, ECM, etc...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just swap over the up pipe from the LB7 to the turbo pedistal. Then swap the LB7 turbo over so you dont need to mess with the VVT. Basicaly swap all your accessories over to the LLY. Only thing you may run into is injector plugs. You may have to put connectors for the LLY injectors onto your existing wire harness.

Also swap your intake y-pipe and get rid of the EGR completly. When its all done it'll look like the stock LB7, just with different valve covers and better injectors.

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
What are you doing with the old LB7 motor?

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Would you please explain what extra steps may be necessary? I've posted here and several other forums and have been told that the LLY should go right in my truck since it's an '03. I was told that in '03 the electronics were changed and that they are the same for the '05.

The engine I have still has everything attached to it including transmission, front differential, alternator, fan, turbo, ECM, etc...
I maybe got a little ahead of myself. So your are taking only the 05 engine and putting it in the LB7, or putting all the LLY Parts in the LB7?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I maybe got a little ahead of myself. So your are taking only the 05 engine and putting it in the LB7, or putting all the LLY Parts in the LB7?
I had originally planned on just the engine, but since I found a complete package with such low miles I think I would be better offer putting it all in my '03 LB7.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just swap over the up pipe from the LB7 to the turbo pedistal. Then swap the LB7 turbo over so you dont need to mess with the VVT. Basicaly swap all your accessories over to the LLY. Only thing you may run into is injector plugs. You may have to put connectors for the LLY injectors onto your existing wire harness.

Also swap your intake y-pipe and get rid of the EGR completly. When its all done it'll look like the stock LB7, just with different valve covers and better injectors.
Is all this necessary? I thought I would be better off leaving everything attached to the LLY as is.

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
The engine has a leaking head gasket, so I think I will sell it as is. I will most likely sell my transmission too, and it hasn't had any problems
How much for the motor and where are you located?

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
Dang that's a little too far for this guy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts