Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like most people, i want to spend more money than i have. This my first real truck (Im not counting my old s10) and I want to spend some money on it before the g/f starts to take over my life completely. so ive decided i want to take out a loan have a little fun with my truck (and build my credit up a little). what should i invest in. heres what im thinking.

1) EFI live, CTS, lift pump
-EFI will probably be tuned by husker diesel as they are only a hour away from me
2) lift,tire, rims
or should i make the responsible decision and wait till my truck is paid off..

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what i was leaning towards

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
i'd go with the tune and lift pump, especially an airdog II 165 since you have an lb7 for the increased filtration benefits.

I was tied between this for a while, but then ended up coming across a stupid good deal on a lift so my hand was forced to follow that route for a while. But otherwise I would have gone tune hands down.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how often do you have to change fuel filters after you install the lift pump?

·
Registered
13,927 Posts
Airdog fuel filter is good for about 30K miles and the water sep is a lifetime filter. Some guys push the duration of how often they change the factory fuel filter. However I still change mine every 10k miles.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
I'd hold off on the lift anyway. Itll kill your mileage and the truck wont be as fast. You can get the tune, cts and lift pump for now and enjoy a quick truck then decide if you want to slow it down and kill your mileage with a lift ;)

Sent from my phone, probably while driving and eating a sammich

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
You can get the tune, cts and lift pump for now and enjoy a quick truck then decide if you want to slow it down, kill your mileage and get all the b*tches with a lift ;)

fixed Heyyaa

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd hold off on the lift anyway. Itll kill your mileage and the truck wont be as fast. You can get the tune, cts and lift pump for now and enjoy a quick truck then decide if you want to slow it down and kill your mileage with a lift ;)

thats kind of what i was thinking. the lift was more of a ego boost.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
tuning and lift pump!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Id start a savings for a trans also . jmo

·
Registered
379 Posts
Wheels tune and air dog now.. Lifts are overrated. PITA

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I'd say you are young and dumb for thinking about getting a personal loan for truck mods.

That's about as financially responsible as investing $1 million dollars in 1 million lottery tickets.

But that's just me.

·
Doin it...
1,278 Posts
Trans, Lift pump, EFI!

·
Registered
897 Posts
I'd say you are young and dumb for thinking about getting a personal loan for truck mods.

That's about as financially responsible as investing $1 million dollars in 1 million lottery tickets.

But that's just me.
Voice of reason. Don't used borrowed money to buy things you do not NEED. And no, you don't need any of this stuff, you WANT it. Economics 101. Listen to me and danhr. You will thank us 10 years from now!

Or don't listen. In that case I would get a lift pump and EFILive.:rof

·
Registered
6,294 Posts

But that's just me.
If he is just trying to build credit whats the problem ? If he can make the payments and has the ability but cant shell out all the cash right away i dont see the problem. If you make 8 dollars and hour and work 24 hours a week then no dont get a loan you wont be able to pay.

Hell i got my credit started by gettin a jewelry store credit card. I bought stuff for my girlfriend that i could have paid in cash with but put it on a card and just made the payments. None of that shit did she NEED.

Also i think economics is kind of an old school term now. I mean our economy is complete shit and america has over a trillion dollars in debt. Fk it dude, do what you want.

Youll either be able to do it and all go well, or youll be in shit knee deep and learn a life lesson.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
If he is just trying to build credit whats the problem ? If he can make the payments and has the ability but cant shell out all the cash right away i dont see the problem. If you make 8 dollars and hour and work 24 hours a week then no dont get a loan you wont be able to pay.

Hell i got my credit started by gettin a jewelry store credit card. I bought stuff for my girlfriend that i could have paid in cash with but put it on a card and just made the payments. None of that shit did she NEED.

Also i think economics is kind of an old school term now. I mean our economy is complete shit and america has over a trillion dollars in debt. Fk it dude, do what you want.

Youll either be able to do it and all go well, or youll be in shit knee deep and learn a life lesson.
because there are better ways to build credit. if you take a loan out, just to build credit... then you are literally paying for a credit score. Why pay for something when you can build it for free?

Get a credit card and pay stuff off during the grace period, so no interest is paid. Keep up to date on car note, or pay it off early.

If you take a loan out now for car mods, you will take another loan out, and then another. Before you know it, you will have your credit maxed out or have too many payments to too many credit cards/loans. Then say something happens (like his motor blows) and he NEEDS to take a loan out..... well he can't, b/c his credit is maxed out.

But then again, it seems nowadays every young kid goes out and blows their credit on crap that they dont need to and get themselves buried in debt. Just don't complain that you can't buy a house until you are 30+

·
#SecretSquirrel
2,000 Posts
not 3 months after i bought my truck i took a personal loan out for about 4000 to replace all 8 styx and some other mods :) cost me about 100 a month.. works for me.. it was gonna be my tranny but injectors come first, i started building credit with a single credit card with a low limit

·
#SecretSquirrel
2,000 Posts
one more thing to add... if you wait till the truck is paid off.... youll probably never mod it because it most of the cases you will sell the truck before its completely paid off! if you can make the payments go for it.. have fun.. Id recommend a Lift pump, Tranny, And efi live for starters... and throw away the K&N filter as soon as u can

·
This space for rent!
316 Posts
LOL! This reminds me of when I was 17 and got a Master Card gold card. Took the summer off before College started and p*ssed it all away. 5K in the hole and not alot to show for it - well except a hot rodded car. If your gonna do something like that start small- maybe say $500, pay it off then do another $500 your not burying yourself in case of an emergency ie: Job loss, major repairs etc. This will build credit just as quick as a 5K loan, and you don't have to worry so much about another loan the size of a car payment. It would be better to be able keep the truck you have, then loose a fully modded one to the repo man!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts