Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Chevy People,

First I have to say this truck will never have a snowplow on it.

My truck has the Snow Plow package which I was very happy about most of the package.

The truck came with this wiring harness, the dealer told me that the harness it to disconnect the alternator when you run a hydraulic motor to operate a snow plow, and by doing that the truck computer won't throw error codes. That sound a little strange to me, but it is a somewhat complex wire harness. I can't think of reason I would want the alternator disconnected.

So what I am thinking about doing is mounting the relay and cutting away the wires that I don't need. That would leave with a pretty good waterproof relay with a solid mounting spot.

What I am wonder has anyone else gone down this road and done this ????

Attachments

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Dear Chevy People,

First I have to say this truck will never have a snowplow on it.

My truck has the Snow Plow package which I was very happy about most of the package.

The truck came with this wiring harness, the dealer told me that the harness it to disconnect the alternator when you run a hydraulic motor to operate a snow plow, and by doing that the truck computer won't throw error codes. That sound a little strange to me, but it is a somewhat complex wire harness. I can't think of reason I would want the alternator disconnected.

So what I am thinking about doing is mounting the relay and cutting away the wires that I don't need. That would leave with a pretty good waterproof relay with a solid mounting spot.

What I am wonder has anyone else gone down this road and done this ????
What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Are you by chance going to put a winch on it? If so I wouldn’t cut any wires out. You could also use it to mount most any thing in the truck you want that has a high electrical draw.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to everyone who read my thread, here is more info and my goal.
I think I need to restart this thread and word my question differently

I want to end up with enough circuit to run :

1. Extra Lights
2. Air Compressor
3. Several electric air valves

Below is the GM outfitter for the wiring harness, to be honest I having trouble to understand how this circuit would be used.

https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/media/photo/1152/UI Bulletin 124j.pdf

1 - 4 of 4 Posts