Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like my truck might be here sooner than later so it’s time to look for some goodies.

I’m wondering what tonneau cover everyone is running? I loved my diamondback HD, but we’re going to be getting a fifth wheel so that won’t work. It looks like the roller types might be the way to go with a fifth wheel, but I also like the backflip. I don’t want to run it though with it folded up against the rear window. I’m not sure if I could only do a few folds and still have clearance for my hitch.

What are you guys using?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I’m running the Retrax RetraxPRO XR. We chose it for many of the same reasons you are considering it.

It’s well built and I like that it’s aluminum. I also have a Yakima rack that I can put on pretty quickly too when needed.

When hooked to our 5th wheel, I can run it partially closed as well.

The PowertraxPro XR would be nice as well, if you wanted a power option.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Tonno Pro Hard Fold, Hard Folding Truck Bed Tonneau Cover | HF-158

seems pretty secure, tri fold works well for 5th wheel.

Jim

·
Registered
486 Posts
Access Cover

Reactions: BadDad68

·
Registered
2019 3500 SRW
154 Posts
Truxedo Low Pro. Easy install. Doesn’t flop around when driving on the highway. Nice tight fit, and the rails sit low which is nice pulling a FW when the cap gets close to the bed. I’ve had mine about 3+ years now. Very happy with it. No fading, but I do keep my truck in the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
RetraxOne MX here -- this series is polycarbonate rather than the aluminum.

Ran one on a '18 2500 til it got traded for a 1500.
I was happy with it and would have put it on the '21 1500 standard box, but the dimensions are enough different that I had to get another one.

I don't know of it's a real risk or not, but I was concerned that a scratch on the aluminum series would let the aluminum colour show making a scratch more obvious than on the poly.

For sure the aluminum series has a higher load rating for weight on top of the cover. For my use the load rating wasn't a factor.

I do like that it is lockable in closed or in part way opened positions.
I do like that it doesn't matter which order the cover and tailgate are opened/closed. Sometimes I just open the tailgate for access. Sometimes I just open the cover for access.
And yes, sometimes I just open the small portion of the multipro.

·
Registered
2021 GMC AT4 3500 CC LB
253 Posts
The American Work Cover by Truck covers USA. Tool box, metal retractable cover combo w/ auto locks for both.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another RetraxOne MX on my '21. This is my first rolling cover and I love it so far. It's water tight and I can change the open/close position to fit my needs.

Previous covers I've used were the tri-folds and honestly didn't love it. Found that I just had to fold it out of the way more times than not and it didn't seal against water as well.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For everyone running the RetraxOne MX, how much bed space does it take up? Does the box go all the way to the bed or is it pretty minimal?

·
Vendor
10,987 Posts
I am running the Extang Trifecta 2.0 Signature Series on my Denali. I have used several different trifold soft covers over the last 3 Duramax's I have owned. The Extang has been the nicest by far. the cover material is tough, it is easy to install (takes less than 10 min).

I offer this and several other brands. If I can be of assistance, please let me know.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
For everyone running the RetraxOne MX, how much bed space does it take up? Does the box go all the way to the bed or is it pretty minimal?
Does not go to floor. (somewhere around 1/2 way).
Still have access to the front tie-down hooks on the 'standard box' 1500 (I'm not sure about HD 'standard' box, as for T1's the boxes are not the same 1500 vs HD).
Lower rear of the box it rolls into is cut-off on a 45 to improve access under the roll.

Iirc, the 'box' it rolls into is about 12-14" square -- less the amount that is cut-off on the 45* angle.

I'll try and get a few dimensions / pics later.

Reactions: Campingfamco

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
It looks like my truck might be here sooner than later so it’s time to look for some goodies.

I’m wondering what tonneau cover everyone is running? I loved my diamondback HD, but we’re going to be getting a fifth wheel so that won’t work. It looks like the roller types might be the way to go with a fifth wheel, but I also like the backflip. I don’t want to run it though with it folded up against the rear window. I’m not sure if I could only do a few folds and still have clearance for my hitch.

What are you guys using?
I have the Undercover Ultra Flex (see link in my signature). It's a tri-fold cover and I have no issues running it one-third of the way down with my fifth wheel. I like the fact that it is almost totally flush with the bed rails and I can open/close my tailgate regardless of the position of the cover. However, build quality leaves something to be desired. I have had to reinforce all of the original sheet metal screws and it's made of soft and thin aluminum so when reinforcing it's very easy to accidentally strip out the holes when using self-tapping sheet metal screws.

Also, I have no issues closing my bed cover completely even with the fifth wheel hitch installed. I'm fairly certain that's true of all these covers but I figured I'd throw it out there in case there was any question about it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm running a Diamondback. Front and rear sections lift up on gas cartridges. I can flip them flat if needed or remove them. Had one on my Colorado as well.

·
Registered
2019 Silverado CCSB LTZ 4x4
69 Posts
I have a LOMAX. I like how it’s low profile, aluminum, and the rubber seal sits between the bed rail and the aluminum. I was looking at the backflip but saw my neighbors rubber seal looked like bacon on his backflip, I’m assuming from the sun.

·
Registered
2021 Denali HD Fabtech Lift and 37s
400 Posts
I’m running the Backflip MX4 and love it. It’s low profile and you can fold it up partially and it has straps that clip in to keep it from flopping around.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm running a Diamondback. Front and rear sections lift up on gas cartridges. I can flip them flat if needed or remove them. Had one on my Colorado as well.
I had the diamond back on my 2013 and my 2015 and loved it! Heavy Duty, able to carry my ATV on it, and really secure. I would get another one in a heartbeat, but needing to put a fifth wheel hitch on would require me to take it completely off, which is more work than it would be worth. Awesome tonneau cover though.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts