Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
My previous truck, a 2008 Duramax, came from the previous owner with a powertrax/retrax. Loved it for it's ease of use, remote open and close, but it had been on his prior truck which was a 2003ish duramax. It was worn out. I finally scrapped it but while it worked I loved it. I'd consider getting another. But I'm still deciding on if I want to get a topper or not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Backflip G2 had one on last truck but this one leaks water quite a bit. Need to validate I didn’t botch install but so far pleased with appearance but functionally disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have a Roll-n-Lock, ordered from GM with the Truck. Was $100 cheaper than I could buy it for.
A note about towing a Fifthwheel, with my Roll-n-Lock I can just see the hitch to be able to line up with the King Pin while those with Flip Back covers usually can't.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have an Access cover on my 03 put it on in 05, probably in 15 or 16 I replaced the fabric just clled Access with serial # which is on the bottom of the rear bar and got a replacement for just the fabric. would highly recommend thier cover and their customer service

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have always used the Backflip MX4 too. Solid cover. I haul my Motocross kid all over hill and dale so have the Lomax go tight against the back window is a huge plus.

·
Registered
1 Posts
diamond back is the way to go awesome look ! Secure you can load your ATV on top of it just look em up to see all options available

·
Registered
2018 Chevy 2500HD
5 Posts
This one is cheap and does the job. I haven't had any issues leaving it on while towing my FW off road or tight turns. I can't see back there but it's never made contact. I'm using the Anderson Ultimate system for my hitch. It's been a year and no issues. Make sure you get the 4 fold. Not sure it a TRI Fold will get you the clearance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It looks like my truck might be here sooner than later so it’s time to look for some goodies.

I’m wondering what tonneau cover everyone is running? I loved my diamondback HD, but we’re going to be getting a fifth wheel so that won’t work. It looks like the roller types might be the way to go with a fifth wheel, but I also like the backflip. I don’t want to run it though with it folded up against the rear window. I’m not sure if I could only do a few folds and still have clearance for my hitch.

What are you guys using?
Retrax RetraxPRO XR. Love it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had the backflip a while back and it always leaked. Very annoying, to me anyway. This time I went with an undercover elite... It's a solid cover, but very lite and you can take it off and hang it on a wall while towing (no tools required). But... if you want to tow somewhere and have the cover after you get there, the backflip would work.

-Mike-

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the Access on my 07.5 LMM. Great durable cover and fantastic after sale service. One reason I liked the roll up is that I had room to put my Traeger grill in front with 5r in tow with slider hitch. The bad news this Chevy models high bed the above tonnue rails dont give enough clearance from bottom of 5r. Less than 5". I ended up scraping, puncturing the fiberglass skin on my rv several times pulling out of truck stops ect just from the dips between lots and roads. So now I have to remove cover and rails when ever I tow my 07 33' NuWa Hitchhiker. SUCKS!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
For the guys that are running the Retrax, can you say the Pro is worth the money vs. the One? From what I can tell you get a higher rate weighting on the top of the cover of 500#’s vs. 200#’s, and a lifetime warranty vs. one year. Other than that, is there anything else? Can you feel a build quality difference? Function?

·
Registered
280 Posts
For the guys that are running the Retrax, can you say the Pro is worth the money vs. the One? From what I can tell you get a higher rate weighting on the top of the cover of 500#’s vs. 200#’s, and a lifetime warranty vs. one year. Other than that, is there anything else? Can you feel a build quality difference? Function?
I've only seen miniature versions of the regular Retrax at dealerships as a sales model. The difference is worth the cost to me as the quality of the Pro seems more suited to the quality & build level of the truck itself.

The powdercoat finish on the Pro is almost a matte/wrinkle finish. It cleans easily during regular washes, and looks new every time. The polycarbonite material will show scratches and swirls easily. Plus, I question how well it would survive even just a moderate hail storm that we see in Colorado from time to time.

Not to mention the UV factor in Colorado is worse because of our elevation and the amount of sunny days we get. I feel like the UV would take a toll on the poly.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
However if you scratch the pro, the aluminum colour shows.
If you scratch the poly -- it's still black.

My first poly one was on 2 trucks over 5 years.
It would be on this truck too if GM would have made the box size on T1's the same as the K2's.

Reactions: Melonhead1102

·
Registered
2021 GMC AT4 3500 CC LB
253 Posts
It took 20 months to build but mine finally arrived.

·
Registered
280 Posts
It took 20 months to build but mine finally arrived.
Looks great! Talk about a long wait though!!

I would have to give that one serious thought if I had a long bed.

With the standard bed I wouldn’t want to give up the space for the tool box.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
With the standard bed I wouldn’t want to give up the space for the tool box.
For some jobs a standard bed with toolbox (and maybe no tonneau) is ideal.

All depends on what it's being used for.

Reactions: cdh7917

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had good luck with the Extang Exceed on my Canyon and on my current 2021 LTZ. Has a higher overall weight rating than most and holds up well.
Don't know if it would work with 5th wheel hookup.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Diamondback HD on the 19 dually. Nice to be able to walk on it, shoot off of it, etc. American work cover on the previous truck.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts