Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know for sure what type of Amsoil ATF is required to meet the Dexron VII GM spec. called out for the Allison 6-speed in my 2007 2500HD Silverado Classic with the Duramax engine?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The Amsoil ATF is the correct fluid to use. The Torque drive is also an option, but I am looking into its compatibility, as Torque Drive is a mirror of Allison's TranSynd® fluid. Torque Drive is rated to replace Dextron III, but meets Allison TES-295 specifications for extended drains of 100K miles.

Service life on Amsoil ATF is 100k, and with the Allison's spin on filter, that is a possibility.

·
Registered
44 Posts
How Many Quarts

How Many Quarts Of Atf Do I Need To Buy To Change 06' Allison Tranny? I Am Switchin To Amsoil. And Does Anyone Recommend The Flushing Method (the Machine With The Bladder Thing That Pumps Out The Old And Pushes Your New In)to The Regular Drain And Refill?
Thanks Ahead Of Time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you change the oil yourself, with the spin on filter, itz about 7 liters of ATF to refill.The only way to change the torque oil is the pressure method, which, depending on the lube center that does it,has the possibility of contamination from other oil transfers, or to drop the trans, take ou the torque and manually drain it. You could also use the 7 liter change, run the truck for a few thousand miles, let he oils transfer, drain it again and refill it to get more of the synthetic through the system. All of the above are costly ventures, especially when using high quality synthetics. IMO draining and refilling the trans is most important having the more vital components.

Cheerz

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Drain the Pan - 7 qts
Crack the Valve Body loose, but don't remove, so teh case can drain out - about 2 qts
Disconnect the cooler lines, blow out with clean, dry compressed air - about 1 qt

That should get about 10-11 qts of the 13 qts in teh system. Order a Case of 12 just in case you manage to get more of it out, and its cheaper per quart by the case.

Add a Mag Hytec pan to gain about 3 extra qts of oil in the system.

Jason

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have 2 gallons of Torque Drive on hand, none of the "universal synthetic ATF" . Anyone know if the Amsoil torque drive would be ok?

·
Registered
48 Posts
As per AMSOIL's product app guide your truck will need the synthetic ATF universal trans fluid. 7.4 quarts filter and fluid or 13 qts total capacity.

As for the Torque Drive Amsoil states that it is "reccommended for use in apps. specifying Allison TES-295 or C-4" while the ATF universal is specified for "Allison C-3, C-4". I would check your owners manual and see what it calls for. If yours specifies the TES-295 then I would go with the Torque Drive. Otherwise the ATF universal will be fine. I just changed my fluid in my '04 Alli using the ATF. If you have any more questions about Amsoil give me a shout!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
TES-295 is not a requirement spec. TES-295 is a service spec. For a fluid to meet the TES-295 specs for extended drains it must meet certain criteria. The TES-295 spec is simply a 50-100k mile drain interval requirement. Now, Transynd is a special fluid made by Castrol that Allison engineered and markets. Amsoil was able to build a carbon copy of that fluid with their own engineering, called Torque Drive.

Either fluid will work. If you already have Torque drive on hand, then I would get the remaining fluid needed and make the swap!:rockin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts