Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What type of trans fluid does our trucks have?

I know noob question. But before you :jack1 let me explain.

I got a transgo jr and Im getting ready to install it this weekend. I always thought use transynd from the dealer. But, I called the dealer and they didint have any. They said they always use there bulk stuff.

So, I looked on mitchell and all data. They both say Dextron 6 for the allison. Is the fluid synthetic thats in it? :confused:

:help

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Confidence Antler
1,997 Posts
When you say dealer do you mean gm or Alli dealer?

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
158 Posts
i have always used transynd and i work on medium duty with allisions and if we put new fluid in, we always put transynd in. i love it. its expensive but good stuff!!

·
Confidence Antler
1,997 Posts
Look up on Allison's website. You should be able to find a distributor near you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If I am just putting a new spin on filter can I top it off with transynd? It is brand new truck, what's in it now?

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Tow Master,

I have a 2006 LBZ, they came with Castrol Dex VI from the factory. Transynd will mix, but it's a bit more difficult to find.
You can find the Dex VI at AutoZone for about $7 / qt.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
If you do decide to switch to Transynd, do 2 pan drops at a 25k interval, and they (Allison) claims you'll be at 100% synthetic afterwards.

Or, try the Hoot for a 1-time dealy-o

·
Ask one to be one
5,660 Posts
I have run both transynd and dex VI and see no difference between them with trans temp or shift quality.

Right now I am using dex VI because it is easier to find.

·
Registered
26 Posts
so from the factory it has VI, castrol?

I am just removing the filter and topping off what I lost

·
Registered
52 Posts
Duramaxxed06--

"Or try the Hoot, for a 1-time dealy-o"

What does that mean? I don't follow. Would you explain?

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
tco,

Search "Hoot Method". For a complete flush a lot of guys use this. The short version is this: you pull the return line on the transmission, start the truck, pump the old fluid out, while adding the correct amount of new fluid through the dipstick tube.

The thought with this method is, that you can actually get near a 100% fluid exchange rather than doing muliple pan drops.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
926 Posts
Actually, Dexron VI says synthetic "blend" on the bottle.
Valvoline DEXVI is full synthetic, it says it on the front of the bottle, I had to go out to BAE systems today to drop some stuff off, their bulk tanks were labeled DEXVI. I drove right by them, no cameras are allowed, so no proof. I guess if our military trucks use it I will to.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Actually, Dexron VI says synthetic "blend" on the bottle.
Valvoline DEXVI is full synthetic, it says it on the front of the bottle, I had to go out to BAE systems today to drop some stuff off, their bulk tanks were labeled DEXVI. I drove right by them, no cameras are allowed, so no proof. I guess if our military trucks use it I will to.
Huh.. I checked and my Kendall bottle and it doesnt say anything. I talked to a shop owner for a trans shop that I tow for and he said it was gm's synthetic trans fluid. :cool:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 18 of 18 Posts